When the new iPhone launches, what will you do?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No I mean dedicated Samsung stores. Have you not seen these before?

This is the one in Florida Ive been to. Samsung at Sawgrass Mills®, a Simon Mall - Sunrise, FL

Theres more in Florida but Ive not physically walked in them.
View attachment 262719
Nope never seen them. Only in Bestbuy so they may be in a few areas .. not like Apple.

Yes the iPhone will cause more hype.. but they also have the reputation of having stores and also providing tons of help for the not so tech savvy so I could easily see why people prefer in store. Samsung just doesn't have that to compare to in the US so we're all just speculating but with them selling a ton of phones.. imagine if they had tons of dedicated stores with a rapport of helping the not so tech savvy.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Nope never seen them. Only in Bestbuy so they may be in a few areas .. not like Apple.

Yes the iPhone will cause more hype.. but they also have the reputation of having stores and also providing tons of help for the not so tech savvy so I could easily see why people prefer in store. Samsung just doesn't have that to compare to in the US so we're all just speculating but with them selling a ton of phones.. imagine if they had tons of dedicated stores with a rapport of helping the not so tech savvy.

Im confused, whether it be at a carrier, Best Buy or a Samsung store, why would there still not be any lines? Best Buy, carriers and Apple stores all sell out and have massive lines on launch day. There are hundreds of articles related to this. I cant find a single article related to Samsung for this. Best Buy even has the Samsung experience section to combat the Apple store. Theres 3 apple stores in Michigan near me. Theres a dozen Best Buys with Samsung inserts. Theres also microsoft stores directly across from Apple that are virtually ghost towns and Microsoft happens to be one of the largest companies in the world. Its not the fact that Apple spends on advertising because Samsung spends the same and sometimes more. In 2013 Samsung and Apple spent within 20 million of each other in advertising with Samsung being the leader. Its not that the stores arent easily available because they are literally everywhere in the US inside the largest electronics retailer in the world.

Its the Android competition vs the iOS lack of competition. Apple owns an entire OS that you can only get from them. Android is used by dozens of manufacturers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Im confused, whether it be at a carrier, Best Buy or a Samsung store, why would there still not be any lines? Best Buy, carriers and Apple stores all sell out and have massive lines on launch day. There are hundreds of articles related to this. I cant find a single article related to Samsung for this. Best Buy even has the Samsung experience section to combat the Apple store. Theres 3 apple stores in Michigan near me. Theres a dozen Best Buys with Samsung inserts. Theres also microsoft stores directly across from Apple that are virtually ghost towns and Microsoft happens to be one of the largest companies in the world. Its not the fact that Apple spends on advertising because Samsung spends the same and sometimes more. In 2013 Samsung and Apple spent within 20 million of each other in advertising with Samsung being the leader. Its not that the stores arent easily available because they are literally everywhere in the US inside the largest electronics retailer in the world.

Its the Android competition vs the iOS lack of competition. Apple owns an entire OS that you can only get from them. Android is used by dozens of manufacturers.
We can just agree to disagree :).

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Umm?
View attachment 262717

My local Apple store is in one of our malls. The 7 launch brought in over 1000 people before 6 a.m. when the mall opened for the launch. This is not somewhere like New York, London etc. This is a suburb in Michigan and one of 3 Apple stores within 30 minutes of each other.

Excellent. That must have taken a lot of time to ask each of them what they were there for. Or are you assuming the only reason to go to a store and stand in line is for something 96% of people just order online and get delivered to their house?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Excellent. That must have taken a lot of time to ask each of them what they were there for. Or are you assuming the only reason to go to a store and stand in line is for something 96% of people just order online and get delivered to their house?

That was from our local newspaper documenting the iphone 7 release at Somerset mall. The picture was taken at 1 am at which point the mall was only open for iphone 7 releases at 6 am.

Can you cite where you get 96% are shipped to consumers or is that just a number you chose? This is the actual data I found.

76 percent of iPhones were sold through brick-and-mortar stores. The other 24 percent of iPhones were purchased online.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That was from our local newspaper documenting the iphone 7 release at Somerset mall. The picture was taken at 1 am at which point the mall was only open for iphone 7 releases at 6 am.

Can you cite where you get 96% are shipped to consumers or is that just a number you chose? This is the actual data I found.
That crowd was there at 1 AM, I'm not going to say it, but you know what I'm thinking. LOL

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
There are Samsung stores in China (been working here for three months). And they are typically empty. Most dedicated stores here are. Other than Apple. The official Apple stores are always mobbed.

Looking around the Beijing airport and I see more iPhones than anything else. Everywhere! The rest are various Chinese brands (which are really gaining market share).

Not a single Samsung phone.

That is how it's been the last three months. I saw exactly TWO S8's. One belonging to a woman who was standing next to me, who dropped the phone resulting in a complete shattering of the glass! She went berserk!

I've been an Apple guy for years and am only attempting the switch to a Samsung S8 because of Apple's completely defenseless removal of the headphone jack. IDIOTS! That decision will eventually mean the end of headphone jacks in all phones. It will happen.

If the S8 feels too fragile for me I will sell it since I am holding onto my 6S+ (which really does need a battery replacement). In an era with fragile phones being the preferred products of all the brands I am intrigued by the Essential Phone, which unfortunately is missing a most essential headphone jack. One scenario is I end up with two phones. My 6S+ for media and work related stuff (headphone jack use, of course) and an Android phone that suits me. The Essential reeeaaallllyyyy looks sturdy. And it ain't big!

Anyway... answering the question of the thread... when the iPhone 8 is released I will go check it out and laugh at the high price.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There are Samsung stores in China (been working here for three months). And they are typically empty. Most dedicated stores here are. Other than Apple. The official Apple stores are always mobbed.

Looking around the Beijing airport and I see more iPhones than anything else. Everywhere! The rest are various Chinese brands (which are really gaining market share).

Not a single Samsung phone.

That is how it's been the last three months. I saw exactly TWO S8's. One belonging to a woman who was standing next to me, who dropped the phone resulting in a complete shattering of the glass! She went berserk!

I've been an Apple guy for years and am only attempting the switch to a Samsung S8 because of Apple's completely defenseless removal of the headphone jack. IDIOTS! That decision will eventually mean the end of headphone jacks in all phones. It will happen.

If the S8 feels too fragile for me I will sell it since I am holding onto my 6S+ (which really does need a battery replacement). In an era with fragile phones being the preferred products of all the brands I am intrigued by the Essential Phone, which unfortunately is missing a most essential headphone jack. One scenario is I end up with two phones. My 6S+ for media and work related stuff (headphone jack use, of course) and an Android phone that suits me. The Essential reeeaaallllyyyy looks sturdy. And it ain't big!

Anyway... answering the question of the thread... when the iPhone 8 is released I will go check it out and laugh at the high price.
To be fair, Samsung is catching up to Apple's prices, the note 8 is looking to get close.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
That is true for the Note... but I just paid $550 for a Verizon S8. Apple never has such promotions so Samsung frequently comes in much cheaper.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That is true for the Note... but I just paid $550 for a Verizon S8. Apple never has such promotions so Samsung frequently comes in much cheaper.
If you throw in Samsung's promos and if you actually get them, then Samsung pricing gets cheaper. The free vr not such a good promo, that one has been over done a little.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is a rumored photo of the curved screen iPhone. I'm sure it's one of several, but I don't like it. I wonder if Apple will make use of the curved screen like Samsung did with the edge feature?
372909c3000d465cde2d776c48d6fb0d.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is a rumored photo of the curved screen iPhone. I'm sure it's one of several, but I don't like it. I wonder if Apple will make use of the curved screen like Samsung did with the edge feature?//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170630/372909c3000d465cde2d776c48d6fb0d.jpg

That photo is an iPhone 6 concept. It says so at the bottom of the photo. It looks nothing like the recent leaked info that seems to be consistent. The iPhone 8 or whatever doesn't seem to have a curved screen and it's all but confirmed that the traditional home button will be gone. It's either under the screen or on the back.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That photo is an iPhone 6 concept. It says so at the bottom of the photo. It looks nothing like the recent leaked info that seems to be consistent. The iPhone 8 or whatever doesn't seem to have a curved screen and it's all but confirmed that the traditional home button will be gone. It's either under the screen or on the back.
I didn't see that, I typed in curved screen iPhone. I thought that looked off, way to much bezel. Apple doing away with that home button will be a plus IMO. They still have to make it so I can set up my screens the way I want to and give us an app drawer. I don't know where they are at for widgets but I want those also mainly for clock and weather.

So your saying there more then likely won't be a curved screen version iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001