Which backup app made this zip file?

factorial8

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I have an old backup file containing a load of text messages, which I want to restore to the phone (Nexus 5), but I can't find out which backup app created it. I've tried installing all the apps that look at least vaguely familiar (one at a time!) but none of them recognise it. The file is named "Backup_2014-10-23 16-14-13.zip" (note the embedded space character) and its component SMS file is named "SmsBackup.csv". Does anyone know which app might have written it?
I've extracted the data into a spreadsheet, so it's perfectly readable (apart from a field delimiter appearing in the middle of the text of one of the messages).
If I can't use an Android app to restore the SMSes, is there a way to import the .csv directly?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Login to your play store account and see which apps you downloaded that may have made the backup. Depending on how many apps you've gone through, it could take time to go through the list and find the one you are looking for.

Otherwise, I'm not sure which app would have created the zip.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or extract the csv file and load it into Excel, to be able to read the messages.

You can't import the csv file into the phone directly unless you know how to use a database program to open a csv file as a database, insert the data from it into a SQLite database, copy that file to the phone, then use a SQLite editor on the phone to insert the date into the phone's SMS database. srkmagnus' method, although it sounds as if it'll take a long time, is probably faster, even if you work with SQL for a living.

factorial8

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies. I've already tried all the apps that I might have used to make the backup, plus quite a few more, but I've not found one that recognises the archive. (I don't use Excel as this is a Gentoo Linux house.)

I have used MySQL to operate quite a complex database, but I haven't used SQLite so perhaps I'd better leave well alone.

Looks like I'll have to leave the messages in the spreadsheet on my workstation and just refer to them there. That's better than losing them altogether - at least I'll be able to read them.

confuded

Apr 2, 2019
Visit site
I found it! Its com.mdroidapps.easybackup and its not in the appstore anymore. You can google to find it from other APK providers.

Sorry for reviling this post but in 2019 I had a recovery job where found these zip files on an SD card looking for SMS. The EML MMS backup files contained the information of what created them so I was able to determine the backup software.
Otherwise there is no easy solution for re-importing a custom CSV back into text messages. Of course, you can always transform the data into a format used by a modern SMS backup software (python, powershell etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non