Which phone are you upgrading to (if you are)?

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if people with flashed virgin mobile evo 3ds can use 4g when they turn it on for virgin? Also anyone else notice that there seemed to be visual voicemail in video previews for the evo v 4g?

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Well folks, looks like I'm going back to a contract. My employer just implemented a discount program which will save my wife and I 25% of our Sprint bills. Target has both the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S2 for $99 each, so we're going to get those.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if people with flashed virgin mobile evo 3ds can use 4g when they turn it on for virgin? Also anyone else notice that there seemed to be visual voicemail in video previews for the evo v 4g?
It's suspected that if you get the info from a VM phone (which should be unique to Virgin, but not each phones), then yes.

Convincing someone to give you that info though...
We also don't know how much the Virgin firmware will effect things.

Is the One V also a 4G phone?
Not that I have seen.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
if you consider HSPA as FauxG. But they should tweak it to be compatible to WiMax because otherwise it shouldn't be part of the $35.

Yes it should. The whole reason for upping the price is not 4G, they're just trying to get all the grandfathered people to change.

SuppliedRelic

Android Fanboy
Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade to the LG Optimus Elite for Christmas unless a cheap 4G capable phone is released before then.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_Mandylion-IHO using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade to the LG Optimus Elite for Christmas unless a cheap 4G capable phone is released before then.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running OM_Mandylion-IHO using Tapatalk 2

I think that's a good idea, if you can find one in the used market for $100. A 3.7" screen sure is nice, but if that's all you get for $150 it doesn't seem much appealing to I.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why you are so focused on 4g.
In theory, I agree it seems counter productive to get one without, but in reality, the coverage isn't that good (and will NOT get any better), and even in covered areas, few people really use it except for large downloads because of how much battery it uses.

If you really need 4g, switch to Verizon, and in a mobile phone, 4g really isn't needed, except to ease crowding.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
In theory, I agree it seems counter productive to get one without, but in reality, the coverage isn't that good (and will NOT get any better), and even in covered areas, few people really use it except for large downloads because of how much battery it uses.

If you really need 4g, switch to Verizon, and in a mobile phone, 4g really isn't needed, except to ease crowding.

*scratches head* hrm. I didnt, ah, think it out like that. You're probably right though...

Sent from outer space

nuttyandroid

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree and disagree. I agree on it abusing the battery life but as for people not needing it, I have to disagree, people may like it fast and the world of today, it's all about instant gratification. So network speed on mobile is necessary for those who want it.

Sent from my cave

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I agree and disagree. I agree on it abusing the battery life but as for people not needing it, I have to disagree, people may like it fast and the world of today, it's all about instant gratification. So network speed on mobile is necessary for those who want it.

Sent from my cave

A need is something that you have to have. A want is something you would like to have.
#firstworldproblems

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Download speed isn't all there is to the internet, in fact far from it.

At any rate...
Web pages are not large, so any form of broadband is plenty fast to download a 100k webpage, much less a 1k Tapatalk page. I was on Tapatalk today on 1x and it worked fine until I came to pictures.

Download a 100meg file and you could be talking several seconds difference between 3g and 4g, but switch to small web pages and are talking a difference measured in thenths of a second. This is exactly why most people on Wimax rarely turn it on. By the time you turn it on and connects, you already spent more time than it saves.

You can also say people are speed hungry, and they are, but if you hook an OV to a fiber optic internet, it won't go any faster, the processor simply can't render pages any faster. An Evo 3d will render faster, but even still, the pages aren't that big to begin with.