who will use 4G?

if you are buying an evo, are you in a 4G area?

• Total voters

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Im just curious who all is getting the EVO AND lives in a 4G area. I am getting the phone, but no 4G anywhere near here. I might hit vegas 3-4x a year, and I remember reading that its on the list, but for 355/365 days a year, I will be paying 10 bucks to NOT use 4G....

who else is going to be paying this 10 bucks and not get the benefit of 4G. I know I wont top 5GB of data, I dont even have 3G where I live... its all wifi for me basically.

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Los Angeles. It's hard for me to get a lock on when 4G is coming exactly. The best I've heard is "Summer", though I did see a tweet from someone earlier this week who claims to have just picked up a 4G signal here.

As far as the $10 charge, it's for providing unlimited data (removing the 5GB cap) over both 3G and 4G service, regardless of whether or not users take advantage of it, not for 4G.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely getting this phone and there isn't any 4G service available in Nashville. They say it's coming but I have no problems with paying the $10 fee and look forward to it when it does come.

I travel to Oklahoma a couple times a year and travel nationally for work purposes so I'm sure I'll hit a 4G network somewhere during my travels.

Sprint might as well expect HEAVY usage from me to on both 3G & 4G once I get this bad boy!

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
Nope...Closest 4G site to me is in another state. I'm in South Florida & nearest is Atlanta, GA. SMH

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I will be paying 10 bucks to NOT use 4G....

who else is going to be paying this 10 bucks and not get the benefit of 4G.

Again, $10 is not for 4G, it's for taking the cap off the total amount of data you can use per month; 3G AND 4G.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
WiMAX coming in my area this summer. I'm hoping to cancel my cable modem and use the hotspot, using a wifi router as a repeater. I'll try it out before canceling but it might work out for me.

I can see a Sprint site from my condo unit, on top of another condo building 2 blocks always, LOS baby!, so am hoping for good performance and latency. If I can get sustained 4Mbps+ (all I need to watch Netflix/Hulu), I'll kill my cable modem.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
4G? Let me put it this way. Here in the boonies of central PA, I'm lucky when I get a good 3g signal. But we've got WiFi out here in the sticks, so I'm cool at home and in lots of public spaces.

(Yes, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Reading, York are all scheduled for 4g. Headlines notwithstanding, none of them are in central PA. They're are all medium-sized cities in the southeast, sort of the outer halo of the Philadelphia region).

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
WiMAX coming in my area this summer. I'm hoping to cancel my cable modem and use the hotspot, using a wifi router as a repeater. I'll try it out before canceling but it might work out for me.

I can see a Sprint site from my condo unit, on top of another condo building 2 blocks always, LOS baby!, so am hoping for good performance and latency. If I can get sustained 4Mbps+ (all I need to watch Netflix/Hulu), I'll kill my cable modem.

Good luck with that... I'll call sprint up and offer my roof as a Tower spot I want 4G NOW in NJ!!!

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
NO 4G in Central Wisconsin and I would assume we are going to be fairly far down the list to get it in the future, but I am lovin' this phone. Pre-ordered it last night at BB and can't wait for June 4th. Hopefully we will get 4G before I have to renew my contract in a couple of years. LOL

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
May I refer you to http://jbtaylor.posterous.com/more-detail-on-the-sprint-evo-4g-10month-prem?

Because the phone has a faster processor, a huge 4.3 inch screen and an 8 megapixel camcorder/camera, we expect you will be using a lot more data than you would with our other devices.

What's the difference between what I said and what you said? Yes, it's for having a phone with more capabilities and features to use data; therefore they are charging you $10 to remove the 5 GB cap on the regular unlimited data plan. Making it a Premium data package.

Also to note, I highly doubt this 'Premium data package' they are touting is going to solely be for the EVO 4G. The EVO 4G is just simply the first phone to have this atttached. I suspect that all other 'super smartphones' Sprint rolls out will have this mandatory 'Premium data package' attached to it as well.

Last edited:

gol706

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Glad I'm in TX, every major city and lots of smaller cities have 4G/Clear. I feel bad for those 4G-less people who still have to pay the $10 though. I drive a lot from San Antonio to Austin and most of the I35 corridor has 4G. I'm hoping I'll get my $10 worth.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
May I refer you to More Detail on the Sprint EVO 4G $10/Month Premium Data Charge - John Taylor's posterous?

What's the difference between what I said and what you said? Yes, it's for having a phone with more capabilities and features to use data; therefore they are charging you $10 to remove the 5 GB cap on the regular unlimited data plan. Making it a Premium data package.

Also to note, I highly doubt this 'Premium data package' they are touting is going to solely be for the EVO 4G. The EVO 4G is just simply the first phone to have this atttached. I suspect that all other 'super smartphones' Sprint rolls out will have this mandatory 'Premium data package' attached to it as well.

Which would make sense (even though I'm very willing to pay the $10) and hopefully it'll put to rest this debate about is it or is it not charging for 4G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
factore