Why can't I hear the people I call on my Galaxy S4?

Jamie Slater

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4: No Sound In calls

ITS DUST & DEBRIS IN HEADPHONE JACK!!!

ricardo6395 was correct. Thank you so much!!!

I used a piece of plastic (used my teeth to form it into a long needle-like-dentist-style scraper thingy) and just scraped the heck out of it. Dust was coming out and then one big piece flung out. I tried it by calling a nearby landline and it started ringing! I was elated!!!

My theory is that there's a sensor in there that detects whether you're using the headset instead of the receiver speaker & built in mic. Dust & debris gets into it and tricks the phone into thinking that the headset is connected. Thus it deactivates the mic & speaker.

groan

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site

it may be dust or debris for some of you but I have a brand new, less that 1 month old S4.
I just had it replaced for this reason now the replacement is having a problem.

This is my 2nd replacment through a plan I paied for so no more replacmements for me. Looks like I'll be calling my carrier to see if theres anything they can do, S4 is useless for me now.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

My wife has this issue on her S4 and is really getting frustrated by it. Any update or fix yet on this?

Karim Dahmani

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I tried most of the solutions here and nothing helped, I then removed my battery and my SIM and re-inserted them and it started working again, I believe the SIM had come loose even though my 3G network still functioned properly.

suleiman1453

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem develop after a recent system software upgrade. I tried a factory reset which initially resolved the issue however after allowing additional items to update the problem reappeared. I concluded the updates were the culprit but it took time to isolate the exact cause. After disabling/uninstalling one new item at a time then trying calls, I found the cause. The problem is Google Drive. You have to turn it off rather than uninstalling it. If you try uninstalling, it will simply reinstall automatically.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

That didn't help me, and though I am glad it worked for you, I doubt Google Drive is causing the phone to lose sound. A factory reset did actually work for my wife's phone though. It has now for about a month (just shy of). So far so good.

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

My galaxy s4 had the same problem, no dial sound , I couldn't hear anything and people couldn't hear me either, got it fix at a shop , the problem was a chip that got messed up, it needed to be heat up and it worked perfectly

skiizier

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site

HI everyone

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 on android 4.3
Recently i tried to make multiple phone calls and when in the call i haven't been able to hear the person on the other end and they cant hear me (This also happens when i receive a call)
however when my friend calls me over skype on my phone the speaker and mic is working perfectly fine and we can talk

the only thing i can think of is that recently i hooked up my bluetooth headset to my phone and made a phone call to a friend and since then i haven't been able to hear anyone when making a phone call

can anyone help
Thanks

I don't know if you got anywhere with this but I was digging for a solution as well and had no luck. So I started messing with my Google setting and turned off all "Hello Google" options and it worked. I have had no issues with audio lock up since. I can give you more step by step if you need.

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm still having the problem after trying all the suggestions here. Most of my apps are turned off. Even had the problem in safe mode. What gives?? Has anyone really solved this issue? Is there a diagnostic I can run?

Posted via the Android Central App

ProfHavok

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

OK, so this is obviously a problem across all carriers. I work at a franchise cell phone repair company and we collectively haven't found an obvious solution to the problem, However, while working on a customers phone I entertained the idea that it may be directly related to the carrier and in a sense, the sim card itself. So I opened the device and re-seated the sim card and placed the battery back in with the phone still open. sure enough the sound was working during calls. so i ran my finger across the back side of the sim card and that tiny bit of pressure caused the speaker to let out an almost "mechanical" tone and then stopped producing sound all together. I repeated the process of powering the device off and re-seating the sim. again it worked until I touched the sim card tray... I am at the end of my work day as I am typing this out but I assume that replacing the sim card tray/holder should resolve this issue. Tomorrow when I come back in I will test that theory and will post my findings here. Best of luck to everyone.

Monteith Circle

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem with my 2-month old Samsung Galaxy S4 - everything works fine except for being able to hear Anything (or getting the screeching sound) on phone calls. This problem just started 2 days ago. I downloaded no new apps or changed any settings that I was aware of. I removed the battery and put it back in and that worked temporarily; now that does not work at all. I thought maybe it was an Airplane/Silent-type setting, but No. I tried the headphone in/out and the HELLO GOOGLE ideas, but No. The phone is kept in a clean environment... My question is: Given that everything else works, including all sounds, would not this have to be a software or setting glitch versus a hardware problem?

Fares Aladdin

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Please share your conclusion, i really hope that this is the real and only cause for this bloody problem.

Appreciate if can you tell us what were your results as soon as possible.

Fares Aladdin

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

OK, so this is obviously a problem across all carriers. I work at a franchise cell phone repair company and we collectively haven't found an obvious solution to the problem, However, while working on a customers phone I entertained the idea that it may be directly related to the carrier and in a sense, the sim card itself. So I opened the device and re-seated the sim card and placed the battery back in with the phone still open. sure enough the sound was working during calls. so i ran my finger across the back side of the sim card and that tiny bit of pressure caused the speaker to let out an almost "mechanical" tone and then stopped producing sound all together. I repeated the process of powering the device off and re-seating the sim. again it worked until I touched the sim card tray... I am at the end of my work day as I am typing this out but I assume that replacing the sim card tray/holder should resolve this issue. Tomorrow when I come back in I will test that theory and will post my findings here. Best of luck to everyone.

Any updates? :)

craig_L

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Possible EASY fix:

I have an S4 Active that is only a few months old, and I've been having the same problem for about a month now. Today I cleared the call log, and the problem seems to have gone away. No more dead airspace when sending and receiving calls. Thats all it took, and I have my fingers crossed that this has solved my problem. Either that or the phone goes in the trash....

Good luck

Rkkt

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Mine just did the same thing. It's never done it before and I've had it for over a year. Within the last week I got a new ford and have been using the phone synced to the truck. I'm pretty sure it got stuck somewhere in blue tooth mode and couldn't get out even when I toggled it.
I did get it to work again. Not sure what worked but here is the list.
1) shut it off
2) removed the battery and fiddled with the sim card - it did seem like it wasn't latched in completely
3) blew into the head phone jack
4) cleared my phone log
5) toggled the airplane mode
I did all this stuff while reading through this forum and I didn't test it until after I did all of it so I don't know what did the trick.
Hopefully it stays working. I really think it has something to do with the ford and the Sync though.

Saman R Kashuk

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
Had the same problem (normal calls had no sound but viber worked normally). Removed the battery and sim card and put it back did not work, second time while was reading this forum waited around half an hour before putting them back and :eek: worked just like that. Maybe thats the trick! I should mentioned I also blow on all jacks but I am really doubtful that was the trick! hope works for every body .
Happy Xman,
Saman

Jennifer Barbee

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Any luck? It's not my earphone jack, not the battery, not the sim, did a couple hard/factory/ every reset you can think of. No water damage, no drop damage- phone looks new.. except it's about 1.5 old- works just fine with hands free- it's only calls in and out.:-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson