Why can't my son call or text me using his S8 with a German SIM?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My son is spending his sophomore year at a German university (the rest of us are in California). After he arrived in Germany he had no trouble texting or calling me with his Samsung S8, but Verizon's international plans are so ridiculous that he got a prepaid German SIM for the phone a few days after he arrived. For most things it works fine, but if he tries texting me or calling me on my S9 or my husband on his S8 he doesn't get through - we never get his texts, and the calls never connect. When he tries calling us he gets a "conditional call forwarding active" message, though we don't have any call forwarding activated. He can receive texts and calls from us, and his texts go through fine to his sister's S6, just not to us.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I've started using Whatsapp with him so he can at least text me, but that uses data he generally has to pay for, plus I'd really like him to be able to call me!

Thanks in advance for your help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does he still have the My Verizon app installed? If so, tell him to try uninstalling it. I'm trying to figure out if the Conditional Call Forwarding message he's getting is referring to the phone he's calling (i.e., yours), or to his own phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332