why do messages notifications not sound

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi,
i'd like to know how to set the Samsung S10 phone so that a message notification sound will play for a new message when the message thread is already open on the screen. i have to get out of messages every time just to be able to hear when a reply comes through. it's most annoying.
is there a way to fix this?

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Ever since the January update I'm not getting any notification sound on new messages or messenger even with the apps not open. Settings seem correct. I think this update messed up a lot of things.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have the message thread open, why do you need a notification sound? You can literally see when a new message comes in.

I have an opposite opinion.. I'm glad it doesn't sound, because that's just less sounds my phone makes. I get enough notifications as it is.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Haven't used the stock Messaging app for AGES, so not sure if it has it or not, but the ability to set a notification sound while the app is open (i.e. chat sounds) is app-dependent. 3rd party messaging apps like Pulse or Textra have the option to enable/disable that, so if the stock messaging app features that, it would be in its Notification settings. If it's not there, then it's not supported (and if it was before, a new update might have taken that away... Samsung isn't a stranger to removing features from their apps).