Why does S Pen do everything but click and scroll?

A

AC Question

s pen does everything but click and scroll.. help!

This is my second S pen that I owned that has had this issue. I was using it fine earlier, and now all of a sudden it can't click. The screen can see it when it hovers over, and it's side button works. But it will not click, and nor will the screen sense it touching it when I want to scroll. Now due to this happening months ago, when I got my last replacement S pen, I did get a spare. It works fine. But this one isn't that old, and I don't have to have to constantly replace them. I mean hell, I am going through actual S pen faster than I am going through the tips for them. As all my tops are still good!

Anyone have any ideas what may be happening? My first idea was somehow the little rubber tips ere getting jammed. But I am not seeing either of the pens tips move much. And I think the non functional ones tip moves equally... Although it still isn't much

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: s pen does everything but click and scroll.. help!

Might be clone S-Pens. Where did you buy them? Were they cheap?

Xenock

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

Ok, so this was my question, I just didn't see any way to reply, so I had to make an account... And my current S-pens were cheapos I bought off Ebay. They looked as official as my original one. And my original one had this exact same problem! So cheapo S-pen or not. My tablet seems to have the same issue after a while. And I have no clue what to do to fix it, other than replace them. But I just don't feel I should have to do so, so often!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes, the only way to reply is to sign in or register.

Looks on the outside don't mean the inside has the same quality circuitry. You stated that one of your new pens works fine, so it's not your tablet. My Note 4 S pen is over a year old and I use it constantly. My Note 10.1 S pen also works as it should. Both are original to their devices.

Sometimes you get what you pay for and stuff like this sold on ebay will most certainly be junk.

Xenock

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

I wouldn't think the circuitry would be used for the actual clicking/scrolling. For the button on the side, it makes complete sense. But the clicking? It just seems odd. Especially since once and a while I can sorta get it to work.. I just have to press extra hard or something.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't think the circuitry would be used for the actual clicking/scrolling.
What do you think makes the pen work???

If you pull the tip from the S-Pen, and try to use it in your hand, you'll see that you won't be able to control the screen with it. You will also not be able to control the screen with the S Pen if it doesn't have a tip.

Both the tip and the S-Pen are capacitive/magnetic and work hand in hand. If the circuitry in those cheap pens are lousy/weak, then the pen will be intermittent. Its not odd to me at all. It sounds like you're suspecting your tablet. If you can easily control your tablet with your new pen, then it's not the tablet. It has to be the pens. Do yourself a favor and spend some money on the real stuff.

One last thing... if you have a thick screen protector on your tablet, it could affect the sensitivity of the pen. If you do, you might need to take it off just to test it.

Last edited: