Why does Samsung A40 keyboard underline each letter while I type it . . .

mike160304

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
. . . and remove the underlining when I hit Space to go on to the next word?

It is not the spell checker, that is turned off.

Irritating and useless?

mike160304

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Good morning, thanks.

I have now installed Gboard from Play, set it as Default keyboard in Settings, shut down the phone and restarted it, and Gboard is now shown as Default keyboard in Settings.

Please see attached crop from screenshot in Messenger, where I am typing, and "are" is underlined. I.E. it is doing the same thing.

Does this look like the Gboard keyboard?

Whooops, I went into Advanced > Manage Attachments, found screenshot JPG from computer, selected it and hit Upload, and I got a box saying "500 Internal Server Error". Tried 3 times. So I cannot send screenshot????

Also, when I started this thread, I was looking how to put it in a Forum about Samsung Galaxy A-Series, but this was not shown in the Forum List under Categories, so I left the thread in Ask A Question" . . . ??

mike160304

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
PS: I am in UK, should I be in an Android Central Forum in UK? I can't find one.

PPS: I bought a Pixel 6a first on Black Friday, I liked it but I noticed that it was A LOT heavier than my son's Galaxy A40, so I returned the Pixel 6a and bought a Galaxy A40. What do you think, did I make the wrong decision?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not being funny, this is such a weird thing to care about lol

Make sure everything is turned off in the text correction section of Gboard settings,, including tapping on the spell checker picker which will take you to phone settings and let you turn off the phones spell checker.

If that doesn't do it, you'll just have to get used to it.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Good morning, thanks.

I have now installed Gboard from Play, set it as Default keyboard in Settings, shut down the phone and restarted it, and Gboard is now shown as Default keyboard in Settings.

Please see attached crop from screenshot in Messenger, where I am typing, and "are" is underlined. I.E. it is doing the same thing.

Does this look like the Gboard keyboard?

Whooops, I went into Advanced > Manage Attachments, found screenshot JPG from computer, selected it and hit Upload, and I got a box saying "500 Internal Server Error". Tried 3 times. So I cannot send screenshot????

Also, when I started this thread, I was looking how to put it in a Forum about Samsung Galaxy A-Series, but this was not shown in the Forum List under Categories, so I left the thread in Ask A Question" . . . ??

I'm using the latest Gboard on my Android tablet to type this, and it's underlining the words as I type them out. I never even noticed until you brought it up ;) I wouldn't focus on it too much... there's a lot worse problems you could have ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

mike160304

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, it's interesting that your Gboard does the same, and weird that the Samsung keyboard does the same. Makes me wonder whether it is a setting outside of the keyboards that is causing it.

I have never seen it on any other device, ever. Cannot imagine why anyone would want it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's for Predictive Text. i turned that toggle off on my Galaxy A32 5G using Samsung Keyboard, and the underlining went away. Turned the toggle back on, and it came back. It's telling you which word will be replaced by the predictive text you select (if you choose to).

mike160304

Apr 18, 2018
Visit site
It's for Predictive Text. i turned that toggle off on my Galaxy A32 5G using Samsung Keyboard, and the underlining went away. Turned the toggle back on, and it came back. It's telling you which word will be replaced by the predictive text you select (if you choose to).

I've just come back here to tell you all how I solved it, but you got here first! Well done.

For the Samsung keyboard, I went on the Samsung Support Chat Line and I was directed to:

Settings > General Management > Samsung Keyboard settings > Predictive Text. Strangely, it was already turned Off, but we switched it On > wait 10 sec > switch it Off > Shutdown > wait 30 sec > Start . . . and the underlining had gone. I can probably remove the Predictions Bar too, if I like.

I can probably also find a similar trick in Gboard, if I want to use that. Anyone prefer Gboard, and if so, why?

Of course some people may want the Predictive Text, which is fine. Everyone happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20