Why does the U.S get the single quad-core version of the S4?

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily think the Octo-core is necessarily better because the S4 600 preforms really good. Though im not sure anymore as Qualcomm was in this "situation" last year when their biggest competition was Nvidia and their Tegra 3 chip. Qualcomm thought they had the edge over Tegra 3 with the s4 processor but sadly that wasn't the case as quad-cores really took off.. :p So as for the U.S not getting the Octo-core, it was for LTE purposes as you said, though the majority of consumers would be content with the S4 600 and probably have no idea that there is another version of the phone. Still, would of been cool to see how smoother the Octo-core was compared to the 600 since this is definitely smoother than Tegra 3 and the original s4 cpu.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

Umm.. S4 dual was better than Tegra 3,I don't know how t3 was better

haillyl

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
They should have specified the firmware, there is a big difference between early firmwares and newer ones for octa.

Nevertheless A15 cores are more powerful (as you can see in those benchmarks) and would provide better Web page rendering.

All in all octa has more potential in its cpu.

Here is a quadrant benchmark of octa when clocked at same frequency as S600(1.9ghz)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/24/a8aqy7a9.jpg

Antutu, geekbench,3d mark and quadrant are mainly testing the CPU and graphics performance of the device while sunspider is a browser speed test. Snapdragon has the faster browsing speed than exynos is the fact and has better battery endurance as well. Well, my Optimus G is running on a Snapdragon s4 pro(older version of Snapdragon, 1.5GHz ) and it's faster than my uncle's I9500 international version in web browsing test, tested with Chrome and stock browser.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Antutu, geekbench,3d mark and quadrant are mainly testing the CPU and graphics performance of the device while sunspider is a browser speed test. Snapdragon has the faster browsing speed than exynos is the fact and has better battery endurance as well. Well, my Optimus G is running on a Snapdragon s4 pro(older version of Snapdragon, 1.5GHz ) and it's faster than my uncle's I9500 international version in web browsing test, tested with Chrome and stock browser.

Sent from my LG-E975 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

And yet GT-I9500 still outperforms everything else in sunspider benchmark.

I have tested GT-I9500 and Htc one.
In web browsing htc one was faster like you said, but once I switched off the little cores (A7s) S4 performed noticeably better in web browsing(also there was a 10% battery drain in 5 minutes!)
Also I got 6.5 hours screen on time with A15 cores turned off.
So I think octa has more potential in its cpu, though I prefer adreno 320 gpu than the one in octa.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was smoother, but my point being Qualcomm up'd to quad-cores because they took off cause dual cores weren't enough anymore.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

They up'd to quad core not to compete with t3 but to increase their performance to compete with A15 dual cores at that time.
No of cores are just a small part in determining performance of a cpu, architecture matters which I must say, dual Krait had the advantage.