Why I chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll support you. The n4 is a little smaller. And these new phones are too d### big. If you like the n4 and it was worth what you paid for it (to you) you did fine.

Hey, I'm waiting for the galaxy mini to be available on sprint. :)

AaronM1

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
The N5 has a narrower bezel and is lighter though, so I find it easier to handle, and it's only .3 inches bigger anyway. I agree with the poor decision verdicts; I'd personally never buy an older phone especially when you're only saving as little as $40! You've ignored all of that innovation that makes it a much better phone, as soon as you pick up a N5 I'll guarantee that you'll wish you'd spent the extra $40, I certainly would.

The N5 has a vastly better display, LTE, much faster processor (CPU & GPU), better camera, nicer design IMO and will be supported for longer. These are just a few of a long list of improvements. I had the N4 and for nearly a year (it's broken & sold now) - it felt prone to software glitches and very vulnerable to break IMHO.

zoidberg22

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow I didn't realize I was going to be eaten alive. I feel like I brought up Apple or something. lol. Anyways I have no idea why I was charged so much in tax because 5% on $350 should be $17.50. Oh well. Actually I do plan on keeping the Nexus 4 for a few years and I also don't plan on using it as a phone but just on wifi. I have a $20 tracfone for making calls. I will use talkatone to get free texting and calling over wifi. Besides even if Google drops support for updates in a year I could just use one of those dev sites or something.

Last edited:

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow I didn't realize I was going to be eaten alive. I feel like I brought up Apple or something. lol. Anyways I have no idea why I was charged so much in tax because 5% on $350 should be $17.50. Oh well. Actually I do plan on keeping the Nexus 4 for a few years and I also don't plan on using it as a phone but just on wifi. I have a $20 tracfone for making calls. I will use talkatone to get free texting and calling over wifi. Besides even if Google drops support for updates in a year I could just use one of those dev sites or something.

OP you DID ask for opinions and you know that opinions are like old phones. Everyone here has a drawer full of 'em.:) The N4 is a great phone that will last you until the next great thing hits the market..then everyone that gave their opinion to you will drop their N5's like they were Motorola flips with a cracked screen and jump on THAT bandwagon. Hang in there with your N4, enjoy. Start a new phone account and save for your next phone. And whenever that might be you'll be ready.

jose3456

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
He didn't make a bad choice the nexus 4 does have nice specs and its only a year old so I don't know why you guys are saying that he made a bad choice and the nexus 4 isn't slow so I don't think he made a bad choice

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
For the past couple months I had been looking into an Android device. I got more serious after I updated my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iOS 7 and wasn't very impressed. I wanted an Android device that updates shortly after the new update comes out. So that left me with Nexus 4, the then rumored Nexus 5 and the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4. Since I didn't want to spend a lot on a new device I knew it would be the Nexus 4 or Nexus 5.

So on October 31st when the Nexus 5 finally came out I decided I would order that. I didn't get around to placing my order until the next day. Anyways I added the 16GB Black to my cart, set up Google Wallet and looked at the final price before I placed my order. Boy, was I in for a shock. The shipping was around $10 but the tax was $40. So $399 for a device that is supposed to be $349. I knew there would be tax because of the other thread in this forum about purchasing a Nexus 5 on launch day. I wonder why someone living in Maine would be charged so much. After seeing that I hit cancel and emptied my cart.

The reasons that helped me chose a Nexus 4 over a Nexus 5 other than being over-charged on tax were I plan to use it strictly on WiFi so I don't need LTE support, it will get Kit Kat in a couple weeks, it's cheaper and it has had great reviews over the last year it has been available. I know I won't be disappointed.

I know it would have made the most sense to wait a couple of weeks until people had actually received the Nexus 5 because the demand for Nexus 4's would have gone down but I couldn't wait. So I bought a new Nexus 4 on eBay yesterday for $300 and a case on Amazon for $11. So $311 vs $400. Good deal I think.

Anyone think buying a Nexus 4 16 GB was a bad decision just because I didn't want to spend $40 in tax on a Nexus 5 16 GB?

For what your looking for out of the phone sounds like you made a good choice for now. I'm going to save myself $400 also and not jump out and right away buy the N5. I really like the physical look of my N4 better and I really dont need LTE. Even though NET10 has it now, my service on the N4 is just fine how I use my phone.

So I to will wait for 4.4 to come rolling to my N4 and my 2012 N7 and I will be happy for now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
To some people $40 may be a big deal.

However, if $40 is a big deal you shouldn't be spending this kind of money on a phone. You could get a smart phone for $100. Long term you saved that $40, but instead you'll probably spend more having to upgrade sooner.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As long as the Nexus 4 meets your needs (which you say it will) and you saved a few bucks while doing it (which you did) then you shouldn't worry much about what others are going to say. Because the Nexus 5 is the latest device to hit the Market doesn't mean it's for everyone.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This actually is not correct, LGG2 has 3000mah non-removable battery (2600mah in removable version in S. Korea). Nexus 5 has 2300mah non-removable.

Thank you...Glad I said "I think". I have had many cell phones, and the G2 has the best battery so far. Thanks again for correcting me. Sounds like you know your stuff.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
He specifically asked for our comments and opinions. Read the last sentence.

Posted via Nexus 7 Android Central App

Yes he did and if he is happy with his phone I still think he did ok. Sorry not to agree with everyone but saving a little and being happy are hard to beat. Plus the 4 is a good phone.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually to each his own. I am perfectly happy with my Nexus 4 considering how much I paid for it only. And I have no intentions of getting the Nexus 5 since the 4 is more than enough for my needs. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone need the latest and greatest. :)

JW4VZW

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Case in point GNEX. 18 months after release it isn't officially receiving 4.4. That being said nexus has an amazing development community but if it's your daily driver bugs may be a problem. All in all I'd say it's more to preference but if official updates are more to your taste the 5 would have been better.

Posted via my SGS3 waiting on my black Nexus 5 32gb...

I have a GNEX that I use for international travel. I like the phone, but am somewhat disappointed that it will not be upgrading to Android 4.4. If I was not on Verizon Wireless, then I would get a Nexus 5.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what everyone thinks, and you really shouldn't have posted something like this here expecting anything other than people saying your wrong for buying the N4, if you are happy with the Nexus 4, and you feel it was the best deal for you then that's all that matters, the nexus 4 is a great phone and still holds it own today, if your not overly bothered about having today's cutting edge tech then you cannot go wrong with the N4.

My opinion for what it's worth is you should have got the 5, but I'm going to say that as im one of those guys who wants today's tech who is replacing his n4 with the n5

Posted via Android Central App

JABacchetta

May 12, 2012
Visit site
People, stop.

If your want to chime in and say op paid to much for n4, don't.

$300 for a brand new phone, that cannot be purchased from Google anymore, is not a bad deal. It will still got kitkat, it still has high ppi, it still saves op $100, which can be used for many things in life.

If you have nothing new to say, skip it.

@T-Mobile GN3

He asked for opinions. We gave them to him. Not sure why you feel the need to come to his defense and implore that everyone who disagrees with his decision keep their mouth shout.

After all, we are discussing a phone here . . . not someone's mother.

P.S. $300 for a Nexus 4 is a terrible deal. No way around it.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
He asked for opinions. We gave them to him. Not sure why you feel the need to come to his defense and implore that everyone who disagrees with his decision keep their mouth shout.

After all, we are discussing a phone here . . . not someone's mother.

P.S. $300 for a Nexus 4 is a terrible deal. No way around it.

+1. They're all over Craigslist for under $250 , I just scored an 8gb for $190 two weeks ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD