Why is my phone doing things by itself? (extreme pocket dialing)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Im using a Samsung A40 running android 10.

It has been opening, and doing things like turn on the flashlight, do not disturb and opening the sound menu and playing ringtones.
However, the worst thing it is doing is unlocking, going to instagram (never any other app) and doing random things such as liking posts and even creating group chats with random people.

This has been going on for a while now, and hasnt been fixed by factory reseting the phone. This seems to only happen when my phone is in my pocket but it seems unlikely that it is being caused by me accidentaly pressing the buttons.

Thanks for any help!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Does your phone require a PIN or fingerprint for unlocking? If not, or if you're putting the phone in your pocket without locking the screen, then you'll have these actions if the screen is in your pocket and the screen faces your leg. Try putting the phone in your pocket with the screen facing out.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Additionally be aware of the difference between screen timeout and screen lock time. For example if you have your screen timeout set at 2 minutes and screen lock set at 2 minutes then let your phone sit, the screen will timeout after 2 minutes but for the next two minutes if you just pick up your phone you can open it like it's not even locked. The same thing is true in your pocket. Even though you turn the screen off it's still capable of opening for 2 minutes without a pin fingerprint or anything. I personally carry screen out in my pocket but if you're not comfortable with that or your lifestyle doesn't allow that option consider setting your screen lock to immediate when the screen is off. It can be a pain if you're used to reopening it after a few seconds if you want to check something or forgot something but I'm the long run it will save you.

George Sparkes

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
It has a pin and fingerprint, and I've cahnged it to lock immediately after screen timeout (30 seconds). I might try puting it screen out if that doesnt work but I'm concerned that I'd be likely to break it. Also, alot of the problems with the torch and sound turning on happen when the phone is locked.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
On my Pixel, the flashlight (torch) can be turned on even if you have a screen lock set, by pulling down from the top of the screen to access the Quick Settings area. Yours may be the same, and the same for volume.

Welcome, by the way.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure on that device, but the accidental touch protection might be for the edges of the screen.

In theory - the phone should utilize the proximity sensor to keep the screen off when it can sense it's in a pocket but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenceNichols