Why is my phone receiving text messages before setup that can be accessed through talk back?

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
I have been having problems with Android lately. Somehow, my screen lock code gets changed and I am unable to access the phone. So I have to do a factory reset but then discover that my google password has also been changed which leaves me in no mans land with no phone. This has happened a few times but I recently discovered that with talk back turned on, I can hear messages received even though the phone has locked me out due to "an unauthorized factory reset" requiring that I verify my account by google login or screen lock code which have both been changed without my knowledge.

Evidently, this is the work of a hacker but I am wondering if there is a way to fix as I have gone through 5 android devices since January 2022 and now need a 6th phone all due to the same series of events. The phones affected include Samsung, LG, and ZTE all running android 9 and 11. Any ideas?

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Yes I have but the tricky hacker has changed my recovery email address to the same email address that they've changed password to. It's a merry-go-round from hell dealing with this.

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
You got that right rvbfan...I am well beyond that. I have abandoned multiple accounts including accounts I have had for over 15 years. It is a recurring event which I am trying to bring to a definite end if possible. I should have mentioned that each time I have had to create a new account which in turn gets hijacked. If it is happening to me, it probably has happened to others so with any luck someone with experience "being taunted with devastating effect" or knowledge in resolving the issue can provide some guidance. It is an expensive problem to say the least :'(

As for local authorities, they are as engaged as they can be...so I'm told although the results are yet to confirm that.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear about these travails.:-\ How are you securing your Google account in general? Are you using a complex password that isn't easily guessable, as well as 2-factor authentication? If you do, and you don't share your passwords with anyone (and you don't make a habit of logging into your Google account on public machines and then forgetting to log out), then it would be quite difficult for any hacker to change your Google password.

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Due to the recurrence of these events, I have been using all of the tools mentioned in your post B. Diddy: but the results have been the same...hijacked. I'm guessing overlays have played a big part in making this possible. At the moment, I have downgraded to a 2009 Samsung phone to avoid this mess but that impacts productivity and efficiency.

Question though: is it normal that I can receive messages and access them through Talkback although the phone has not been setup after a factory reset?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If a phone has been completely factory reset, it should boot up back to the Setup Wizard welcome page, and should not be able to receive any messages or calls until you finish the setup wizard.

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Thank you, B. Diddy! That pretty much confirms that this is more than some random mishap as some of my people have been suggesting. However, I wish I knew how to tackle the situation instead because it is bound to happen again if I replace the phone.

On the other hand, maybe the phone is not "completely factory reset"...do you know of any exploits that could be used to create the perception that one has "completely factory reset" a device when in fact that is not the case? Maybe that could be at play here... I am no android expert.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hacking into an Android phone is hard in the first place. Doing so to the extent you claim, across multiple devices and multiple accounts is almost unheard of and would indicate a major flaw in how you handle security. I.e. Giving people unfettered physical access to your phone, downloading pirated apps, installing apps from random pop-ups claiming you have a virus, etc. This sounds like a targeted attack from someone you know, or you're a high ranking official of some sort. I doubt we'll be able to actually solve anything over the internet, and I would suggest having a competent person get their hands on the phone, like maybe a repair shop. Something like this is going to need someone's eyes on the phone to see exactly what is happening and how best to proceed.

Unless... Is this a work provided phone?

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy A20s - Android 11, and ZTE Blade A7P - Andoroid 11. Reset by pressing Volume up button and Power button simultaneously to enter into Stock Recovery mode. Move to option with volume key and power button to factory reset.

Akwavi

Apr 24, 2022
Visit site
No, not a work phone. You are entirely correct about this being a targeted attack. I am not a high ranking official of any sort but I have made some of such persons "angry" or stepped on their toes. I am confident that it is related to some activism that is punishable by death if I were to fall in their hands. Nevertheless, i just want to be able to use my android like anyone else if that is possible at this point. As for unfettered access, no one had unfettered access to these phones before they were hijacked...I made sure of that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, not a work phone. You are entirely correct about this being a targeted attack. I am not a high ranking official of any sort but I have made some of such persons "angry" or stepped on their toes. I am confident that it is related to some activism that is punishable by death if I were to fall in their hands. Nevertheless, i just want to be able to use my android like anyone else if that is possible at this point. As for unfettered access, no one had unfettered access to these phones before they were hijacked...I made sure of that.
Welcome to AC!

I was going over this thread and wanted you to be aware as we not hacker/Cyber attack Forum , we can offer the usual like change password,emails,phone numbers,phones but those advice and suggestions looks like you have done . I would try contacting the proper authorities on this issue as there not much more we can help with unfortunately:(

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
I have been having problems with Android lately. Somehow, my screen lock code gets changed and I am unable to access the phone. So I have to do a factory reset but then discover that my google password has also been changed which leaves me in no mans land with no phone. This has happened a few times but I recently discovered that with talk back turned on, I can hear messages received even though the phone has locked me out due to "an unauthorized factory reset" requiring that I verify my account by google login or screen lock code which have both been changed without my knowledge.

Evidently, this is the work of a hacker but I am wondering if there is a way to fix as I have gone through 5 android devices since January 2022 and now need a 6th phone all due to the same series of events. The phones affected include Samsung, LG, and ZTE all running android 9 and 11. Any ideas?
I feel for you. I've been going thru h*** since the end of 2020. I'm on my fourth. It's such a nightmare

13Flossy

Apr 30, 2022
Visit site
Hacking into an Android phone is hard in the first place. Doing so to the extent you claim, across multiple devices and multiple accounts is almost unheard of and would indicate a major flaw in how you handle security. I.e. Giving people unfettered physical access to your phone, downloading pirated apps, installing apps from random pop-ups claiming you have a virus, etc. This sounds like a targeted attack from someone you know, or you're a high ranking official of some sort. I doubt we'll be able to actually solve anything over the internet, and I would suggest having a competent person get their hands on the phone, like maybe a repair shop. Something like this is going to need someone's eyes on the phone to see exactly what is happening and how best to proceed.

Unless... Is this a work provided phone?
Problem with some phones certain providers... You can't just take it to any reissue shop. I really really want the Geek squad to get their hands on mine. But they refuse. I can only go to assurion reissue shop. They say nothing is wrong.
If it runs good and safe mode you just need to uninstall your apps what was the point of the phone then.
They look through all my abs and there's nothing iffier sketchy on it so what's wrong this phone? This number four for me. All Android all Samsung having all the same issues guy up there is having multiple phones. It's frustrating beyond words.
So since nobody can find out and it just keeps happening I'm going to switch away from Samsung

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Problem with some phones certain providers... You can't just take it to any reissue shop. I really really want the Geek squad to get their hands on mine. But they refuse. I can only go to assurion reissue shop. They say nothing is wrong.
If it runs good and safe mode you just need to uninstall your apps what was the point of the phone then.
They look through all my abs and there's nothing iffier sketchy on it so what's wrong this phone? This number four for me. All Android all Samsung having all the same issues guy up there is having multiple phones. It's frustrating beyond words.
So since nobody can find out and it just keeps happening I'm going to switch away from Samsung

Sounds like a good call ;) Honestly this thread isn't making much sense, it's almost impossible to have the things claimed to have happened actually happen, over and over and over again, with good security habits, and no one else ever having access to the phones. It just doesn't add up. I would suspect it's possible you guys are misunderstanding some things about the Android operating system and what you're seeing.

But coming here and asking questions is a good start for sure... if we can help you or not though is another thing entirely. It's very difficult without physically seeing what's going on with the phones :-\

One very important thing to do in your situation, is when you get a new phone or factory reset your phone do NOT restore ANY backups... and don't install ANY apps, set the phone up COMPLETELY stock and use it for a while to see how things go, just in case you are installing a malicious app without realizing it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo