Why people don't like the fact that Apple is using Android features in iOS 7

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why people don't like the fact that Apple is using Android features in iOS 7

Here's my opinion on what all the controversy is for.

There are various arguments on how many features Apple borrowed from competitors and which competitors it borrowed them from (Android, WebOS, etc). But one thing must be agreed on: Apple used some amount of features that originated in Android.

Now, while the fact that Apple borrowed features from Android on its own is not a problem, the real issue lies within the bigger picture.

I'm sure we all remember Apple's famous lawsuit spree against various manufacturers, primarily Samsung, that began last year and is still going on. Again, there may be various opinions on the validity of these lawsuits, but one thing is sure: Apple's problem was that, according to them, Samsung was copying their patented features and thus infringing on their patents.

So, while Apple may not be stealing features or infringing on patents with iOS 7, it is still sure, as mentioned earlier in this post, that they borrowed features from Android. So the main controversy concerns the fact that:

-Apple sued companies for using their features.
-Apple is now using the features of said companies.

This behavior can be rightly viewed as hypocritical, and the importance of this hypocrisy is amplified by the fact that Apple has issued lawsuits against other companies in the process of said hypocrisy and that said lawsuits cost said companies upwards of a billion dollars total.

The bottom line:
Apple is not doing anything illegal or patent-infringing with iOS 7, but they are acting hypocritically with what they are doing with the new OS, and that is what is making many people so upset.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Eh, but honestly, if they aren't doing anything that is potentially infringing on a copyright, I fail to see where the hypocrisy is.

Yeah, we love to bag on Apple for their seemingly flair for touting innovation, but it's business and they have competition and have to keep up. Every mobile OS has to do the same.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Eh, but honestly, if they aren't doing anything that is potentially infringing on a copyright, I fail to see where the hypocrisy is.

Yeah, we love to bag on Apple for their seemingly flair for touting innovation, but it's business and they have competition and have to keep up. Every mobile OS has to do the same.

It's hypocrisy because they're complaining about other companies doing something, when they're doing that very thing themselves.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Good artist copy but great artist steal

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not saying that Apple borrowing features is in itself a problem, but that in the bigger picture it's hypocrisy.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I still like my natural selection explanation which negates the copying argument (from either side), but agree that the bad taste in the mouth of consumers is from perceived hypocrisy.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not really about if anyone did or didn't copy anything, it's about complaining about it when, from the neo-Apple defender's argument book: obviously that's how it works. If that's the case, make it blatant, get us the best of all the best features sampled from everywhere and everyone shut up about it :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
There was an interview some time last year and Tim cook said he would like to resolve all the court cases Apple did. With Steve Jobs gone Apple is left to clean up lawsuits that Tim cook didn't want. Don't call Apple critical ,call Steve jobs hypocritical.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There was an interview some time last year and Tim cook said he would like to resolve all the court cases Apple did. With Steve Jobs gone Apple is left to clean up lawsuits that Tim cook didn't want. Don't call Apple critical ,call Steve jobs hypocritical.

Apple is still pursuing some lawsuits, and it's been about two years since Cook took over. How long does it take to stop the habit of suing?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me since everyone is borrowing something and people can enjoy similar features without platform hopping. It's just the fans that spout over the top crap that can't be proven or negligible just to boost their side that annoys me. They're almost as bad as some fans I debate with on a daily basis who have no idea what they're talking about(Nearly 90% of Heat fans I deal with) and blindly repeat something they heard.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The way I see it, everyone (from Google to the jailbreak community) is releasing new features ever so often (kinda like throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks), that it is very difficult for any company (not just Apple) to come up with a truly novel idea that doesn't at least bear some passing similarity to what has already been done.

Apple updates their OS once a year, but for all we know, those features could easily have been conceived long ago, just that they never got publicised or did not get to see the light of day until recently. For example, the ipad may have been released only in 2010, but it was actually designed way back in 2004 (and became the foundation for the iphone in 2007). Ive claimed to have the inspiration for IOS7 way back in 2005.

To me, it's not really an issue of who came up with the idea first, but what they can do with it, and more importantly, what this means for the end user. I am primarily an Apple user, but I also hate their lawsuits, and am actually happy that Apple is losing quite a few of their recent high-profile lawsuits (and that patent trolls are suing them left and right). Hopefully, this will make them see the error of their ways and incentivise them to put a stop to all this madness.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
All of them are because of Steve Jobs.

But why do they still have new lawsuits?

Nevertheless, even if it was Steve Jobs, he ran Apple, so it's still Apple's problem. Cook should have waited until the lawsuits were cleared up to unveil an OS version with borrowed features.

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
The biggest Android thing people claim APple is using is Control Center. Only Control Center apps were available in Cydia before Android starting using. They then claim multitasking in cards was robbed from Windows, when in fact WebOS should have the honour of that implementation. The problem is all the OSs copy, so maybe the argument is who copied what first. It should be an argument. I think Apple receives the flak because of their altercation with Samsung primarily. It was what made the headlines. But Samsung is Samsung, I think they went out of their way to emulate the iPhone, and not simply copy features, which is the conclusion if you abstract everything. It is not the use of rounded corners etc. It was use of those things to create a phone which was not available on a certain carrier as a "replacement" for the ipHone. Those phones looked very much like iPhones.

The way Windows uses cards doesn?t look exactly like WebOS. The way Android uses Control Center isn?t exactly like the jailbreak apps, and the way Apple uses it is exactly like Android. I think Apple got a lot of inspiration from other OEMs and OSs. But it is not a Samsung vs Apple implementation.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
But Steve is dead.

Why are they still adding lawsuits?

Personally I think ios 7 is brilliant, a step in the right direction of finally trying to keep up with Android, but it is a stolen product

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Agreed, iOS 7 is great and it sets the stage for iOS 7.1 and 8 to be awesome.