Why S8+ and not S8?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Somebody posted that the 8+ was same size for 16:9 content as the iPhone 7+, but the 8+ is actually smaller. Could not locate the post though.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Agree 100%. Hardware, that I've read, says 835 is physically compatible with 4.0. I'd imagine through firmware updates they could turn QC 2/3/4 on/off as they wish. So I'm wishfully hoping we get at least 3.0. As discussed elsewhere I think Samsung erred on the side of safety after the last battery debacle. In that thread it was stated that 4.0 had less heat than 2/3 because it charged quicker or something. I 100% feel QC 2.0 was a safety sake decision though.

I was at BB pre-ordering mine today and had what seemed like a pretty knowledgeable sales guy. He knew the G6 had the 821, and other technical stuff. Much more so than I'd figure the average verizon rep would know. I asked him if he knew and he said it was QC3. I asked him if he had proof. He said he thought that's what he had read in their training stuff, although didn't seem 100% confident. He said their samsung rep was coming by later today and he'd ask him and text me. We'll see if he actually does.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I just did a chat with Samsung and he said QC3.

Rahman UR: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung Technical Support. How may I assist you?
John: Hi. Can you tell me which version of QuickCharge the S8/S8+ have?
Rahman UR: I will surely help you with that
John: ok, thanks
Rahman UR: I have checked with my resources.
Rahman UR: I see that the Galaxy S8 and S8+ has Quick Charge 3.0 Version.
John: ok. Thank you. Do you know if that's documented anywhere officially? No one can find it anywhere on the internet.
Rahman UR: Let me check if this is documented in our website.
Rahman UR: Unfortunately, the complete specifications of Galaxy S8 and S8+ are not yet updated in our Samsung website.
Rahman UR: Once the phone is released, you can view the Quick Charge feature in our Samsung website.
Rahman UR: However, I will help you with the web link to view the specifications of the phone in the future.
John: ok, thanks
Rahman UR: You're welcome.
Rahman UR: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-plus-64gb--verizon--midnight-black-sm-g955uzkavzw/
Rahman UR: Is the above link accessible?
John: Yes. although it just seems to take me to the regular S8+ page. I don't see any details there about the QC
Rahman UR: As of now, the complete specifications of the Galaxy S8+ is not yet update and will soon update after the release date which is 04/20/2017.
John: ok. thank you. I will look for them then.
Rahman UR: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
John: that's it. Have a nice day. Thanks

zyad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Somebody posted that the 8+ was same size for 16:9 content as the iPhone 7+, but the 8+ is actually smaller. Could not locate the post though.
That was me, just a few posts ago...
Why do you say it's smaller? They are both listed as 2.7" wide...
Maybe the slight curves... but technically those are part of the picture.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know the picture looked bigger on Note 7 and on my V20 when looking at hi def youtube video in the Verizon store however in theory shows produced in 2:1 like House of Cards on Netflix should look bigger on S8+. I prefer the extra width to the extra length but that's just personal choice.

mholdr

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
the 8+ isn't big enough. Too narrow. Narrower than my 5.7 inch screen. Movies do not fit properly. TV and Sports and Youtube do not fit properly. Games do not fit properly. There is a 16:9 standard & deviating from it is just stupid.

I never watch and I don't plan on watching movies or TV on my phone - I have a tablet for that. Wait and see what ratio the iPhone 8 is....you'll be surprised!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I never watch and I don't plan on watching movies or TV on my phone - I have a tablet for that. Wait and see what ratio the iPhone 8 is....you'll be surprised!
Doubt it. Apple takes pride in their usability and experience feedback. The devices will be 16:9 edge curved, near bezeless displays. They apparently ordered the displays from Samsung.

Prediction. The same media that raved about the S8 will rave about the new iPhones and claim 16:9 is better overall for content. I agree with that, but will not mind if the Note 8 has same width of the Note 7, but with the stretch of the S8+.

Last edited:

Kim G

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, S8 is not big enough. IMHO even the S8+'s size is marginal, to the point that I may cancel my pre-order and wait for the Note 8. I want a 6" screen with a 16:9 ratio.

What if Samsung don't go back to a 16.9 ratio for the Note 8?
I think it's a good idea to see what the Note 8 brings anyway :).
I think it's going to be an amazing device.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the answer to this question is, bigger screen and more battery. To be honest lets face it some people just like bigger phones and some don't.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I just want to know for the ones who will buy the S8+ their reason to buy it.Do u think S8 is really not big enough or just you're used to big phones.I've always had samsund S series phones.But I feel now that my S7 is too small.Is the S8 enough bigger than the S7?

I used an iPhone 7 plus for a while and since then I've preferred larger screens. The S8+ has a bigger screen in a smaller footprint so for me I loved it. Been enjoying it since the 20th.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I used an iPhone 7 plus for a while and since then I've preferred larger screens. The S8+ has a bigger screen in a smaller footprint so for me I loved it. Been enjoying it since the 20th.
The 7Plus is a nice sized phone

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Love what used to be considered a phablet sized display on the smaller footprint of the GS8. Couldn't justify $100 more for 0.4 more inches. GS8 felt better in the hand and is more pocketable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201