Why Super Flashlight - LED brightest flashlight all the time

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My activity log shows "Super Flashlight - LED brightest flashlight" a lot, way more than I'm actually using the flashlight. Is it tied to another app or program that I'm using? Or being accessed when I do something else making it appear instead of whatever I'm actually doing

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by "activity log?" It's normal to keep apps open in the background for more efficient battery management, and I'm wondering if that's what you're referring to.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! 3rd party flashlight apps are notorious for being much more than just a flashlight -- in a bad way. They've been known to do shady things behind the scenes, like serve up ads and send information to servers in China. I'd uninstall it immediately. Your phone should have a built-in flashlight feature in the Quick Settings anyway.

Go to Settings>Apps, select that app, and look at its permissions. A flashlight app should only need permission for the Camera (since the camera LED flash is part of the camera module). If you see that it has permission for lots of other things, it's up to no good.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In that case, it might be accessing the web for its ad network, thus showing up in the activity log as being active. I wonder if the internet permission is also letting it access the web for other activities that they didn't bother mentioning ...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In that case, it might be accessing the web for its ad network, thus showing up in the activity log as being active. I wonder if the internet permission is also letting it access the web for other activities that they didn't bother mentioning ...
I have no idea. Could maybe try getting to the permissions as you stated earlier and see if the OP can turn that one off. It also may result in the app no longer functioning period if it checks for that permission being active.