Why won't my phone connect to Wi-Fi when the Data is on?

A

AC Question

My phone won't connect to Wi-Fi when Data is on

When I have both Wi-Fi and Data turned on, my Android (KitKat) is choosing the Data connection. The only way I can access Wi-Fi is by manually turning Data off.

When the phone was new (approx three weeks ago), it was not behaving in this way.

I have tried removing all the apps I added. I have even done a factory re-set, but the problem persists.

The phone is ROOTED and I removed some bloatware. I am wondering whether I could have deleted some software which gives Wi-Fi priority over Data.

Any suggestions?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: My phone won't connect to Wi-Fi when Data is on

Welcome to the forums. What device do you have, and what did you get rid of?

sac56

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

My phone is a Doogee Turbo F1 Mini. I don't recall what I deleted - very foolish of me, I now realise.

[I am the original questioner for this item. I have now registered and aquired a username.]

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My phone is a Doogee Turbo F1 Mini. I don't recall what I deleted - very foolish of me, I now realise.

[I am the original questioner for this item. I have now registered and aquired a username.]
Welcome, again to the forums. Thinking about it for a few minutes...Under Settings>wifi>advanced, is there possibly an option to revert back to cell data when wifi signals are weak?

sac56

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

That option is not checked on my phone.

But that is not the issue. There are several reasons why I say that. (1) I am sitting right next to the router, which is showing 100% strength (using the app WiFi Manager) and it drops the instant I turn the data connection on. (2) There are several other routers and wi-fi spots near here which would kick-in if the phone was accepting WiFi.

sac56

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

I have been looking into this some more myself and have made progress towards solving the problem, but I'm not quite there yet. If anyone can use the following new information to help me figure out what is going on, I would be most grateful.

I found out that my phone wasn't using the recommended APN for my mobile provider. I have mave made the recommended changes and it is now possible to access WiFi when the Data setting is on. BUT when I leave the WiFi area (allowing Data to take over) and then return (or visit a new WiFi area), the problem often reappears. Once again, my phone won't connect to WiFi or, worse, it doesn't even see the WiFis in the scan results. Typically, I have to turn WiFi off and then on again (or Data off and on again) in order to stimulate the phone to (see and) connect to WiFi.

In light of this progress, can anyone suggests what may be happening here, so that I can fix it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692