Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S III turn on?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy S III won't turn on

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-T999, s/n: R21CB4GCHGD). When I try to turn it on, I get the Samsung splash screen, then it dies. Sometimes I get as far as the rocket ship. Any ideas on what the problem is? The battery is new.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S III won't turn on

Welcome to Android Central! How long did you charge the battery for? Also, batteries can be defective or poor quality--is there another battery you can try?

If the same thing happens with another battery, then it might be a faulty Power button, or perhaps a motherboard issue. Two other things to try would be to remove the SD card (a corrupt card can cause various issues) and to wipe the cache partition (http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html).

noname87

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Why won't my Samsung Galaxy S3 turn on?

I tried a new battery. Same thing. Pushed the on button, it vibrated, the Samsung splash screen came up, then nothing. Once or twice I got the green android launching.

Removed the memory card. Was able to read and transfer data from the card to the computer. Put the new battery back in. Same thing happens. After multiple attempts I gave up. I put the phone down and 30 second seconds later it boots up. I was able to upgrade the android OS to the newest available (phone is not rooted). I was able to turn it off and reboot. Put the memory card back in and everything seems to work.

Not sure what caused the problem and don't know what to do about the new phone order. I did notice that the old battery was significantly thicker (,260 compared to .204 for the new battery) than the new battery of the same make (anker). So I suspect it was battery related but why didn't it work when I put a new fully charged battery in orginally.

Thank you for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it's working now, and hopefully things won't act up again in the near future. When you say the old battery was significantly thicker, do you mean all around, or just in the middle? If it was bulging in the middle, as opposed to being uniformly thicker, then that would suggest a failing battery.

noname87

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Slightly thicker on edges (.215) with overall being .260. Yeah probably failing but was holding a charge. I toss it.

Still curious why it didn't work right when I put a new battery in. Only recovered after ordering a new phone on EBay. Since considering trying to cancel that order.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you fully charge the new battery before inserting it? Maybe it arrived in a discharged state, and only allowed the phone to fully boot once it charged up enough.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the deal is. Hopefully you won't have any further issues with this battery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golferchick