WiFi keeps turning itself on and off, constantly.

CSin06

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Same situation as mick... it must be a similar messaging App to Textra... (Whatsapp perhaps?) that does this?

suggestions anyone?

CSin06

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
This almost worked, and led me to a solution, Thanks!
After Deny'ing the location permissions on my apps one by one and checking, I still had the fluctuating Wifi...
but notice that the LOCATION-MODE setting was "High accuracy" which uses GPS, Wifi and mobile netowkrs to estimate your location
versus POWER SAVING setting which uses wifi and mobile networks
versus GPS only setting....

I set it to the last one and problem solved (after undoing each of the Apps).
I may try to turn the apps permissions back on now to verify.
Thanks all for the direction.

Monkeystuff

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Looks like I too have a similar issue on the SM-G900F S5.

I too found the 'hold the slider over to the right' trick ... but now I cannot turn wireless off and I don't want to have it running constantly.

Trying to hold it to the left doesnt work; it just toggles left and right about once a second.

Tried all of the other suggestion re Location - high/low accuracy - permissions, factory reset etc. but nothing works.
:(

Last edited:

Monkeystuff

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Update!

I checked back through the messages here until I spotted "Claytan K"s notes about Google Play Services.

I've had problems with this before, just after I bought an Android Wear watch, and had to go through a number of update and uninstalls until I got the mobile and the watch to talk properly.

Removing all the updates to Google Play Services - currently 10.0.84 (438-137749526) - reverts back to version 8.something; the original factory supplied installation.

Now I can switch Wi-Fi On or OFF at will! :D

The problem is ... Android Wear, Maps, Hangouts etc. won't work unless they see the current version.

So - for the time being - I have put back all the updates and have to leave Wi-Fi permanently on until Google comes up with a solution/new update.

:-!

Last edited:

Metah4

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

Oh my gosh! This worked! Been watching my wifi flicker...and not sure why it was doing that. Searched, saw this post, made the change...and voila! FIXED!

Kelvin Tan 75

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact problem. I fixed it this way: Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi. So far problem seems to be fixed. I have a Galaxy S5 with ATT. I hope this helps someone.

This one works for me. Finally found the culprit that drains my phone batt!

trinisuprazee

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
deleted google home and then reset the phone!! wow this is probably what has been destroying my battery life.

Saved me from doing another factory reset thanks folks

MrMortal

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I have LG G pro 2 F350L... having same issue, Factory reset... Flashing... new firmware, nothing helped... i can switch wifi off but when i turn it on.. it keeps turning itself on and off, constantly

lowgman23

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
This method works.

I had the same issue with my galaxy S5 (att) and now I moved to the Galaxy S6 Active (att) and still the same issue. The issue started on the active after the Nov 2016 security update. I tried your suggestion and now my wifi is working like it should. Thank you very much. Im curious if this issue is just with at&t branded phones

Stan D

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S5, 16 GB, 64 GB memory SIMM, T-Mobile, Android version 6.0.1, security patch Nov 1,2016.

I read many of the recommendations here and elsewhere.
I rebooted and cleared the cache, with no permanent fix.
Power saving setting has Power Saving mode "On".
For Settings/Wi-FI,the Smart network switch is unchecked and WiFi is turned on.
I was connected to my T-Mobile WiFi CellSpot router (Asus TM-AC1900) with mostly defaults.
Location was turned off initially while I had the same problem as you.
My Location method is now "High accuracy".

As soon as I turned Location "ON", the problem no longer occurs.
I tried unsuccessfully to reproduce the error at a T-Mobile store.

Apparently, something in the phone needs the Location feature turned on with wi-fi.
If I want better security, hiding my location, I'll just turn off wi-fi.
I have not tried turning off Location in individual applications.
There were no listed running applications while I was testing.

I'm able to keep Wi-Fi turned on w/o wi-fi constantly cycling.

I hope this information helps.

jahani

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem here in my Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Trying to turn on wifi, it was starting to turn on and off again and again every two or three seconds. tried every solution in this topic and none of them worked for me.

Tried to hard reset (Power+Volume Up+Home) my phone and in first boot setup process found my wireless (no problem till here, wifi turn on with no problem and found wireless devices), then enter my passphrase to connect to my router and the problem starts to happen again. (watch the video)

Then changed this settings in my TP-Link router:
- turn off 5GHz band (to use just 2.5GHz band)
- Mode: 802.11n only (not 802.11bgn mixed)
- Channel Width: 20MHz (not 40MHz or Auto)
and hard reset again and connect to wifi with no problem until now. (for a few hours)

Better to mention last week I activated "Developer Mode" and run a simple app of mine from Android Studio. The problem starts to happen after that (not immediately) and it could be related to it.

Sorry for my bad English.

atuldpatil

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I had this issue and was causing me real headache. I initially thought it was hardware failure of my phone but later I found reason is something else.

For some reason I had changed Wireless Security of my WiFi router from WPA2 Personal to something else (I guess WEP).
That was causing my phone (intex cloud 4g) often to turn on and off WiFi on its own. I changed the Wireless Security back to WPA2 Personal and phone is now back to normal (not turning WiFi on and off on its own)

cattracks31

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Jahani- Your post is what solved my problem. I tried everything suggested with the location stuff and the switch. Nothing worked. We recently switched to 5G. I had the wife cut off 5G and linked to 2.4 and it stopped switching. Thanks for bringing this up.

Now, the issue is still out there. 5G worked for 2 weeks before the problem started so what caused it to suddenly freak-out?

Thanks again for your post.

JC4every1

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, here's what solved it for me (I have a galaxy s5 by the way).

1. Go settings ==> connections ==> Location (turn on location if it isn't already, of course) ===> "Improve accuracy" and turn on "Wi-Fi scanning" to initiate the bug process.
  2. Then go back to Location, and, in the list of apps under "Recent location requests", tap one and go to "Permissions" and disable the "Location" permission for each one, one a time (IMPORTANT).
  3. If after disabling the location permission of one of the apps it doesn't fix the problem (check the wifi connection behavior), move on to disable location permission for the next app on the list ("Recent location requests"). Eventually, after disabling the location permission of the glitchy app, the bug will stop

For me it was the T-Mobile app so I simply left it with permission disabled. I kind of had a feeling that Android would not let any of their apps or other big Play Store apps get away with this kind of huge glitch. I honestly wish I could uninstall T-Mobile app since I never use it and it kind of sucks but ah well, don't wanna root my phone for now.

Anyways, hope this helps.

This worked for me, thanks! Thank God it was the 2nd app I tried turning off location which is Android Pay. I enabled everthing back except location permission for Android Pay and my wifi is now steady. (This was my last attempt to fix but I also previously did clear cache and Android system reboot.) I have Note 5.

Last edited:

Annamalai Chettiar

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I tried everything mentioned here and nothing works, every time i turn on wifi, my S7 EDGE powers off.

I tried the following

Settings, location, improve accuracy and turn off wi-fi.

cleared the cache for all apps

turned on Location method to "High accuracy".
turned Location "ON"

Turned off developer mode

Settings/Wi-FI,the Smart network switch is unchecked and WiFi is turned on.

disabling the location permission all apps

went to Settings>Privacy and safety>Location>Improve Accuracy> and Disable Wi-Fi Scanning. didn't work

didn't know how to turn off wifi direct

PLEASE HELP. I HAVE TIRED EVERY THING

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter