Wifi troubles with 2.2

glasscitysd

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble keeping wifi signal never had this problem before anyone else having this issues? im on official froyo deodexed and rooted.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've heard of people having WiFi problems on almost every setup imaginable. Eclair, leaked Froyo, official Froyo, rooted, custom ROM - there seems to be no software consistency.

Reactions: glasscitysd

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
hmm i was fine on eclair... guess i'm just sol oh well i can trade that for a stable real froyo thanks!

I remember hearing that you need to check your network security settings. i dont remember what they are suppose to be but it has to do with security ...also someone earlier was complaining about wifi problems on the fascinate 2.2 and all he had to do was reset his router

Reactions: glasscitysd

glasscitysd

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I remember hearing that you need to check your network security settings. i dont remember what they are suppose to be but it has to do with security ...also someone earlier was complaining about wifi problems on the fascinate 2.2 and all he had to do was reset his router

i'll try both those solutions thanks i'll report back the results

Wysiwyg1977

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Wifi was fine after manual update (non-rooted) but when I got home today and tried to link up Wifi wouldn't start.

Reboot took care of it (so far).

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
EB13 Wifi Issues?

I'm currently running the DeOdexed/Rooted/CWM/EXT4 EB13 ROM. Up until about 10 minutes ago, WiFi was working fine. I turned off the WiFi radio using the notification screen and when I turned it back it it doesn't seem to be working properly. It shows that it's connected to my network and has a valid IP address, but it can't load anything. I've tried restarting the router, forgetting the network on the phone, airplane mode, rebooting the phone and nothing seems to work.

Other devices are able to load the network fine, both corded and wireless, so i don't think there's any issue with the router.

Is this something that's one of the EB13 issues?

Windfrenzy

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Since eb13 my wifi will drop. When I go into settings, it says "error", but turning it off and back on from there (not notification bar) gets it going again.

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If I turn it on via the notification bar i get Error in the settings. If i turn it on in the settings it says connected, but I get no connectivity.

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
when i went over to the DeOdexed/Rooted/CWM/EXT4 EB13 ROM I had an issue with being able to connect.

In the settings it would be stuck on "obtaining IP address". A restart of the router solved my issue. No problems since.

freeze

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem except I can't enable Wifi at all (network settings screen shows "error"). Usually an airplane mode on/off toggle will let me enable it. I have Froyo EB13 installed manually.

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine ran solid since flashing up until last night. now it will randomly seem to hang up and It's pretty annoying. i haven't been able to do any of the other tricks to get it working. Airplane doesn't work and sometimes i need to restart the phone multiple times in order for it to work.

dbeedle

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
NetGear?

I've had issues using a Netgear WNR2000 router since the update to Froyo. I did a factorey reset on the phone and the first thing I did was try to connect to the router. No luck. Seems my Epic just doesn't like the Netgear.

I also have an old linksys that seems to work fine. Just using the Netgear to get Wireless N. I'm on the brink of flashing the router to DD-WRT. Does anyone know if this helps?

drekosh

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I had/have the same issue where it will sometimes connect and not give me any connectivity or it will just say "error" and change over to cellular data. Happens a couple times a week. I'm running EB13/EXT4. Usually I just go into wireless settings and turn wifi off and on again. If I try it from the status bar it will not correct the problem. No idea why.

potatoboy

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The solution to my problem was to remove custom DNS servers from my router. I went back to a full DHCP pull from my ISP instead of using the IP only and using OpenDNS.

dbeedle

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I found a note online about a Blackberry having similar issues with Wifi...the solution was to turn off WMM (wireless multi-media extensions) on the router. On my Netgear this is under the QoS section. Turning that off seemed to work for me! I also had turned off QoS earlier. Even turning it back on seemed to allow the connections to continue. This is based on just an evening of fiddling with it. We'll see how it does coming in and out of coverage over the next couple days.

I'm not entirely certain what WMM does or if I benefit from it. I would imagine going in and out of Wifi coverage would cause the phone to renegotiate the connection and WMM extension to kick back in. If so, I'm not sure what I lose by leaving WMM off on the router...if that is indeed, the culprit!

Just thought I'd post my findings. I have yet to see if they pan out.

signothefish

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine is problematic on all WiFi networks, regardless of which version of Android, or which factory/custom ROM I use. It starts off OK, then eventually has intermittent WiFi connectivity. Something is really messed up with the WiFi driver or hardware.

northward

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've got Froyo EB13 via manual update and I'm having similar issues. Sometimes even turning it on via Wifi Settings errors out. I've found that the only way I can get it to turn on is to turn off 4G first. I've always had flaky WiFi connections, even with DI18, but this problem with not even being able to turn the WiFi radio on began since I flashed EB13.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

This problem is consistent between 2.1 & 2.2 and one shouldn't have to compromise security to get a stable WiFi connection.