Will AT&T Nexus 6 ever receive Android 6.0 Marshmallow? Update: YES!

Ed Fuller

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Well I'm guessing that the marshmallow update is delaying the January patch or we will get February's and go to whatever build number that will be. At&t doesn't know anything about the January patch. Go figure

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
"At&t doesn't know anything about the January patch. Go figure."

Well that is not very reassuring (or surprising for AT&T). Seems like Google ought know when their Nexus 6 phones will be getting security patch updates, but they have been notably silent about the whole issue of Nexus 6 updates and AT&T.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So I have a nexus 6 LMY48Y, bought in October 2015. I had AT&T up until 2015. Switched to Cricket and also switched back to my Oneplus last month in December.

I reset my Nexus 6 and had the WiFi on waiting for the update. About 10 days ago I switched back to nexus 6 as my main phone ith my Cricket Sim. Still no Marshmallow. It's sounds like something is wrong at this point? Anyone else still waiting for Marshmallow?

Posted via the Android Central App

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have LMY48Z (ATT build), but I'm on Verizon. No Marshmallow yet. I can't help wondering if I will ever get the OTA. Maybe it is time to flash the factory image.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I know this is weird, but can one request a refund on the phone if no update? I bought on Amazon and their customer service is great.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this is weird, but can one request a refund on the phone if no update? I bought on Amazon and their customer service is great.

No. The purchase agreement and item description probably do not contain language about a guarantee of updates - and even if they did, the updates have been available to manually flash for months for 100% of customers.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The Motorola website for the Nexus 6 said this, "With Nexus 6, you’ll be the first to get the latest Android updates."

And Google says this, "Nexus devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device."

They are referring to OTA updates. I never had a problem with updates on a Nexus device until the Nexus 6. Clearly, Google and Motorola have either abandoned Nexus 6 users or have allowed AT&T to dictate the update process. Either way they are not living up to the Nexus device promise of quick android updates. I think it would be worth contacting Amazon and letting them know a device they probably sold thousands of is not being supported by Google as promised and ask for a refund. Maybe Amazon can pressure Google into responding to the issue of late or no updates for the Nexus 6 on AT&T.

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
No. The purchase agreement and item description probably do not contain language about a guarantee of updates - and even if they did, the updates have been available to manually flash for months for 100% of customers.

But I thought if one manually updates, that could prevent a person from getting certain future updates. Which would therefore nullify and case one had about updates to begin with.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
But I thought if one manually updates, that could prevent a person from getting certain future updates. Which would therefore nullify and case one had about updates to begin with.

And manually flashing operating systems or updates most likely invalidates the warranty. If you had a problem flashing an update and damaged your phone I doubt Google or Motorola would cover the repair/replacement.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Manually flashing a different ROM would, but flashing a factory image doesn't interfere at all.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 just got the February security patch OTA update. My Nexus 6 is still on the December security patch - never received the January update. Can someone from Android Central staff tell us why the Nexus 6 is not getting timely OTA updates????

kubuli

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Found the following on an AT&T support site. It also, seems that a January security update wasn't pushed by AT&T; just MMB29K.

Effective February 3, 2016 Motorola / Google released a software update for the Nexus 6 (XT1103) via a rolling Google Over the Air (GOTA) download. AT&T testing and approval of this update is currently scheduled for completion February 8, 2016. - See more at: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...otorola%26model%3DNexus6XT1103&token=hp1OKECa

https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KB425950?make=Motorola&model=Nexus6XT1103

berrygood909

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
The Motorola website for the Nexus 6 said this, "With Nexus 6, you’ll be the first to get the latest Android updates."

And Google says this, "Nexus devices receive the latest version of Android directly from Google. Once an update is available, it can take up to two weeks for it to reach your device."

They are referring to OTA updates. I never had a problem with updates on a Nexus device until the Nexus 6. Clearly, Google and Motorola have either abandoned Nexus 6 users or have allowed AT&T to dictate the update process. Either way they are not living up to the Nexus device promise of quick android updates. I think it would be worth contacting Amazon and letting them know a device they probably sold thousands of is not being supported by Google as promised and ask for a refund. Maybe Amazon can pressure Google into responding to the issue of late or no updates for the Nexus 6 on AT&T.
This is what I want to do. I wanted to contact Amazon. I doubt they would pressure Google. As some people who purchased on Amazon have received updates so the pool of consumers who did not get it, AND calling into Amazon would be small. But we are supposed to get the update. It is February. I still don't have it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shao61