Will my Giffgaff sim work in a 'dumb phone'?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello! I currently own a sony x compact and use a nano sim from giff-gaff in a 5 pounds a month sim-only goodybag deal. I'm considering purchasing a Nokia 150 as I would like to downgrade to a phone that has no internet access and my research has so far told me the Nokia 150 is the best available (If someone knows of a better no-internet phone with more than a 0.3mp camera please let me know!).

The Nokia 150 apparently requires a mini-sim size, which I gather is in fact another name for standard size? In my giffgaff settings I found the option to get them to send you a new sim and I assume it comes in that all-in-one situation where you strip layers to get the size of sim required for your phone.. which for the Nokia 150 I guess I wouldn't need to do, and just put the whole standard size in..

If that is all correct, cool.
But here is my question:
Will the new sim I order from giffgaff work in a Nokia 150? My 5 pounds a month sim I use in my sony x compact gives 500mb of data, which will obviously go unused in a Nokia 150, but is it a different 'type' of sim (3g sim/4g sim) that wouldn't work in a Nokia 150 or not? I am fairly unfamiliar with these terms so just want to make sure If I order a new sim from giff-gaff on my current deal it will work in a Nokia 150.
Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Mini-SIM might be referred to as "standard," but it's not really used any more -- most modern phones use micro or nano SIM size: SIM card format and size comparison | Comparison tables - SocialCompare. You can get a simple adapter to insert the nano-SIM: https://www.amazon.com/iSYFIX-Card-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6546817

Since the phone does support Giffgaff's 2G network bands, the SIM should work. Keep in mind that the phone doesn't support 3G or 4G.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There are 4 SIM sizes:

Full-size 3.37 in (85.6 mm) 2.12 in (53.98 mm)
Mini-SIM 0.98425 in (25 mm) 0.59055 in (15 mm)
Micro-SIM 0.59055 in (15 mm) 0.47244 in (12 mm)
Nano-SIM 0.48425 in (12.3 mm) 0.34645 in (8.8 mm)

(Boy, does that take me back - I still have a few full-size cards from the last store - not snap-apart, because the was only 1 size). But today's SIMs come in a snap-apart that is either all 4, or just mini/micro/nano.