Will OP6 be fine with steam because of hot shower?

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a question about resting my device inside the bath room while I shower (not inside the shower, just in the same room)?

I am not planning on never actually getting the device wet or submerged, however, on the advertisement on the device there are these statements:

"Water Resistant
Guard against rain.
A drop of rain shouldn’t get in the way of you and your smartphone, whether you’re gaming or calling. So, we equipped the OnePlus 6 with weather protection. Just don’t take it out for a swim.①"

"①Water resistant under certain conditions. OnePlus does not recommend excessive submersion. Please see product warranty for more information."

But on the warranty information there is this statement:
"The limited warranty does not cover: Defects or damage resulting from accidents, neglect, misuse or abnormal use; abnormal conditions or improper storage; exposure to liquid, moisture, dampness, sand, or dirt; unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress."

Also on the product manual and safety information that came inside the box, there are these two statements:

"The device is not water-resistant. Please keep away from moisture and humidity"

Under operating environment:
"Only operate your phone between 0-35° C temperature and 35-85% humidity"

So the advertisement implies that it should be fine on light rain and humid environments but the warranty and safety manual implies that moisture would ruin the device.

My only question is if I can rest my device inside the bathroom while I shower (not actually inside the shower but inside the room) because I use a bluetooth speaker to listen to podcasts while I shower (the BT speaker is IP68 certified and that one is actually inside the shower, but phone still needs to be in the same room to stream audio). I read the average humidity on a house is 50% but I am not sure how high it gets on a shower room with hot water to the point where mirror get fogged up.

I've never had any problems at all with samsung devices since S6, S7, S8+, Note 8, S9+ but we all know those are IP68 certified.

Will the OnePlus 6 be fine without getting wet but inside the bathroom while I take a shower?

Thank you!

gr_baker

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've put every smart phone I've owned on the windowsill in the bathroom whilst I shower to listen to podcasts. None of them have been ip67/68 certified but survive happily. my OnePlus 6 is arriving tomorrow and I'd expect to do the same with it

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
just another question, do you charge them right after or usually wait a few hours?

I usually shower at night before going to bed and charge my phone overnight but via wireless charging pad so I never actually got the warning of wet usb port others got with samsung devices but of course with the OP6 I'll have to plug it in if I want to charge overnight

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't really advise putting a phone in a room with steam; but I'm sure every once in a while would be all right.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a question about resting my device inside the bath room while I shower (not inside the shower, just in the same room)?

I am not planning on never actually getting the device wet or submerged, however, on the advertisement on the device there are these statements:

"Water Resistant
Guard against rain.
A drop of rain shouldn’t get in the way of you and your smartphone, whether you’re gaming or calling. So, we equipped the OnePlus 6 with weather protection. Just don’t take it out for a swim.①"

"①Water resistant under certain conditions. OnePlus does not recommend excessive submersion. Please see product warranty for more information."

But on the warranty information there is this statement:
"The limited warranty does not cover: Defects or damage resulting from accidents, neglect, misuse or abnormal use; abnormal conditions or improper storage; exposure to liquid, moisture, dampness, sand, or dirt; unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress."

Also on the product manual and safety information that came inside the box, there are these two statements:

"The device is not water-resistant. Please keep away from moisture and humidity"

Under operating environment:
"Only operate your phone between 0-35° C temperature and 35-85% humidity"

So the advertisement implies that it should be fine on light rain and humid environments but the warranty and safety manual implies that moisture would ruin the device.

My only question is if I can rest my device inside the bathroom while I shower (not actually inside the shower but inside the room) because I use a bluetooth speaker to listen to podcasts while I shower (the BT speaker is IP68 certified and that one is actually inside the shower, but phone still needs to be in the same room to stream audio). I read the average humidity on a house is 50% but I am not sure how high it gets on a shower room with hot water to the point where mirror get fogged up.

I've never had any problems at all with samsung devices since S6, S7, S8+, Note 8, S9+ but we all know those are IP68 certified.

Will the OnePlus 6 be fine without getting wet but inside the bathroom while I take a shower?

Thank you!

I wouldn't keep it in the same room if you take a hot shower. But why couldn't you just leave it outside the bathroom?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I do it with my phones now and then. My guidance on doing so to minimize the risks (because there is always a risk in situations like this) is to set it as low as possible and use the exhaust fan. Steam rises, so keeping it low and having the exhaust fan on will limit how much steam gets to it.