Will Samsung accept a device with micro scratches as a trade in?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Samsung.com S10/+: Pre-Order Thread

Got mine in for S10+. I didn't spend the $50 instant savings on accessories then. Anyone know if you can use later or was that only time you could use?

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Title. Trading in my note8 for the S10+ but am slightly concerned about them taking the phone given the horror stories about the process.
I'd read the criteria in the fine print very carefully. I don't recall anything about micro scratches, but if there is the slightest hint that you won't qualify then don't do it. If you fail their assessment all you get is $25. You'd probably get more on Swappa.

Pontiac1979

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Your device must have no breaks, cracks, or other defects that go beyond normal wear and tear, including but not limited to: multiple scratches, dents, or dings; water damage; or corroded charging port, SIM, or battery terminal contacts. If a Cracked Screen Offer applies, your device may have a cracked front screen, but all other conditions apply;

This is the part that worries me. They don't exactly specify micro scratches as normal wear and tear or damage.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd read the criteria in the fine print very carefully. I don't recall anything about micro scratches, but if there is the slightest hint that you won't qualify then don't do it. If you fail their assessment all you get is $25. You'd probably get more on Swappa.
I don't even have a hint that I would fail and I'm still kinda worried after hearing all the horror stories. Makes me wonder if I should just sell it on my own and just pay full price. You trading in?

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I traded in my S7 when I got my S9. I'm obsessive about my phones. I wax and polish. I even returned my phone in the original box. And I was still on pins and needles for the couple of months before I was notified that it was accepted.

If your phone is pristine, go for it. If it is even close to border line, well maybe other options should be pursued. The high trade in value is nice just risky.

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have a hint that I would fail and I'm still kinda worried after hearing all the horror stories. Makes me wonder if I should just sell it on my own and just pay full price. You trading in?
Yep. Still got the original box. It's a matter of pride that I'm showing them how loved their product was.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Still got the original box. It's a matter of pride that I'm showing them how loved their product was.
Well at least now I know someone who had a good experience. Yeah I usually always have the box too. I think my wife made me throw it out this time cause I had boxes going back to like the S6 lol.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
When does Samsung.com actually charge you for preorders?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on trading in my Note 9 for a prism white S10. The free Galaxy Buds promo pushed me over the edge. Does Samsung charge you right away or not until the device ships? First time pre ordering directly from Samsung.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: When does Samsung.com actually charge you for preorders?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on trading in my Note 9 for a prism white S10. The free Galaxy Buds promo pushed me over the edge. Does Samsung charge you right away or not until the device ships? First time pre ordering directly from Samsung.

I just hope that they are better than the Iconx. Those things are complete garbage

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

If I recall you will see a pre-authorization now which will drop off after a few days then right before ship you will see the charge go thru.

eds817

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I've purchased many phones directly from Samsung and use their financing and they don't bill until it ships

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung.com Preorder Thread

I have been trying to get in touch with a Samsung rep about the same thing. It said $50 instant savings and I chose a wireless charger and regular charger that came out to $50 exactly. But for some reason at the checkout screen it was charging me the tax + the cost of the two accessories. I just removed them and figured it's something we could use after but I could be wrong. Hopefully they send out codes because it seems like there was a glitch.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My S7 is in great condition except for the home button which looks like a film is started to peel off. I don't think it's actually film so I don't want to pull it off and make it worse.

SnoFire

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung.com Preorder Thread

I as well did not spend the $50 of instant credit when I preordered lastnight. I messaged Samsung directly hoping they respond or tell us how we can add it on the order.

cocob89

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung.com S10/+: Pre-Order Thread

Wondering what they consider normal wear and tear myself. Their trade in faqs say normal wear and tear is acceptable but not cracks and multiple scratches. I have a barely noticeable scratch and am wondering if they'll only give me $25 as a trade in value

808Mobi

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Wondering what they consider normal wear and tear myself. Their trade in faqs say normal wear and tear is acceptable but not cracks and multiple scratches. I have a barely noticeable scratch and am wondering if they'll only give me $25 as a trade in value
See if you can buff it out with Smitty's Glass Wax.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I used to work for phone carriers; Verizon, Atnt and tmobile, and I've taken many phones with scratches for trade in deals. Not a single carrier called back complaining so I'd say you're safe. But dents and cracks are not acceptable.

larsonage

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I have a small dent in the speaker grill. Other than that the phone is perfect. Samsung is really that anal about trade-ins? I’m starting to second guess going through Samsung. Maybe I should cancel and go they Best Buy.