Will the ASUS Zenfone 5Q (5 Lite) receive the Android Oreo update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Numerous ASUS smartphones, specifically the Zenfone models, have been receiving updates to Android Oreo.

However, ASUS Zenfone 5Q (5 Lite) is a high quality budget phone-with some flaws- but only runs Android Nougat. I am curious to see if it would get an update.

Mr_PitVIPER

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Indeed, that is the correct model. However, even though it says that it comes with Android 8 out of the box, certain people say that it doesn't and some websites say that it comes with Android 7 out of the box but might be upgradable to Android 8.

I'm not sure which one it is

(Just so you know, I am the anonymous inquirier above).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be a regional thing. The previous link was for the ASUS USA site, and the 5Q only just became available in the US (while it was released earlier in some parts of Asia). So it may be that it was released with Nougat in Asia, but the US model will have Oreo out of the box.

https://www.gadgetmatch.com/asus-zenfone-5q-zenfone-5-selfie-zenfone-5-lite-review/
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/11/17448664/asus-zenfone-5q-available-price

The first article is from what I think is a Philippine site, published in March, while the latter article refers specifically to the US launch, published in June.

Mr_PitVIPER

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Thank you! So whether or not the android update comes with the phone is dependent on region, I suppose? That is probably also why the ASUS website states that it comes with the Android Oreo.

I guess I can assume that the people who stated that the phone comes with android 7 does not reside in the USA?

Is this case also dependent on what region OF THE USA?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for ASUS, but I would guess that the 5Q that was released earlier in Asia with Nougat will eventually get Oreo. It probably came with Nougat only because they released the phone in that region before they had Oreo ready for the phone. The people who said the phone comes with Nougat most likely have the version of the phone that was released in Asia -- it doesn't mean they don't live in the US, since they could've gotten the phone there and brought it back to the US.

It shouldn't matter what region of the US -- the US version of the phone should come with Oreo, according to the ASUS site.

Mr_PitVIPER

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Hello again! Just a follow up. After unboxing the ASUS Zenfone 5Q that I bought and setting up, I discovered that it runs Android 7.1.1 (Nougat).

It is perfectly fine for me, as Android 7.1.1 isn't the "oldest" Android version out there; it's a slight bit more advanced than Android 7.0 but older than Android Oreo.

However, my question now is, could Android Nougat phones receive the Android 9 (Android P) that will be coming out soon? I inquire about this because my ASUS Zenfone 5Q was released THIS YEAR, so I believe there is a chance of an upgrade to Android P once it is released.

Rocks the Squirrel

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
Yes, this phone (as I am typing on the US version now) is 7.1.1. I asked why is it that when Best Buy and their own site says Oreo. Kinda false advertising to be honest if they don't update it. I did my search on all phones and why I had my eye on this one. I also keep hearing it will be updated anytime now yet it's not on that update list either.

ricladd

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
I purchased a Zenfone 5Q here in the US in June. It is a US warranty version. It came with Nougat 7.1.1. The website is confusing as at the bottom of the page it says it will be updated to Oreo in Q3, but on the Tech Spec page, it says it will be upgraded to 7.1.1 in Q3, even though it already has it. Best Buy still says it comes with Oreo, which is not true. I love the phone, but I did buy it based on the promised upgrade to Oreo, so I hope it happens. It's crazy for a phone that was released in 2018 not to have Oreo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48