Will you be getting the OnePlus 6?

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The more I watch videos, the more I think I'll be ditching my S8 Active for this. There's just something about the looks that I really like. Battery will be crap compared to my Active, but that's to be expected.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So to each their own but I don't intend to be ever so careless with my device that I need that the IP rating. I'm not going to intentionally submerge it. I keep it away from pools, I generally don't have it out in the rain unless absolutely necessary, I don't hold it over the toilet and if it gets dirty I clean it. But sh*t happens, would I like that protection? Sure, but for the price, $320 less than a Pixel 2 XL, $190 less than an S9, I'm fine with it. Wireless charging, SD storage, IP rating, all icing on the cake and a reason to charge more. I bought the Pixel 2 because I couldn't afford to spend $800 to $1000 for the big fancy phones and I won't go back to carrier devices.

And personally, as a mechanical engineer that has a discerning eye and is paid to look at the details of design I'm sorry but IMHO full HD is more than enough resolution for a phone and I don't believe very many people can tell the difference if any. I think they think so because the colors are vibrant or the tech in the display works different so because it looks different they think they can see the resolution. I don't buy that argument and I never have. I'll take better performance and battery life of a full HD screen all day long and that's what OP is giving us for a much better price than the overpriced bloated phones from the big boys.

I don't know if I'm going to get a OP6, but they have my attention because the one thing I miss is a big screen and they offer it for a fair price.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You guys spend too much time arguing with Mr. Segundus. No matter how much you try to sway his viewpoint, it won't happen. I realized that real quick from just reading in the G7 forum.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You guys spend too much time arguing with Mr. Segundus. No matter how much you try to sway his viewpoint, it won't happen. I realized that real quick from just reading in the G7 forum.

It's the internet. No one ever convinces anyone of anything regardless of how compelling their arguments or correct their statements.

Unfortunately, it's mostly just a bunch of arrogant people shouting at each other...

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I’m considering it. I keep going back and forth on iOS or Android. This is the first phone I’ve seen in awhile that may actually pull me away from iOS.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Now that all the details are out there, will you be picking up a OnePlus 6? If so, which device are you moving from?

Now that the camera seems decent I think I will. For £469 I can buy it outright comfortably and break away from the 2 year contract cycle. My Samsung S7 contract is just about to expire and it's felt a struggle to stick with it for the full 2 years.

Plus, at the moment, there's no flagship I'm willing to pay the extra money for. Kinda fancy a break from Sammy, was very close to buying the pixel 2 xl but the screen. higher cost and lack of headphone jack made me pause. Almost went with the P20 pro but for some reason couldn't bring myself to make the leap. And I don't think I want it enough to pay the £300+ more.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
You can't take the company at their words. If it is not IP 67 or 68 Certified then, simple, it's not water resistant or dust resistant. Just saying that it is water resistant is not enough without any certification. Most phones of today do survive a splash and a quick drop in water. I once dropped my 5T into a bucket of water and pulled it out quickly and nothing happened to the phone. Just because nothing happened to the phone it is not sufficient to say that the 5T is water resistant as IP Certification criteria for water resistance is not satisfied. Drop a IP67 or 68 certified device and the OnePlus 6 in a tub or bucket of water to understand what water resistance means.

To be fair, IP67 and IP68 device aren't rated against a drop into a bucket of water either. That introduces a few factors that are not tested. Motion, impact, rapid pressure change, etc.

Additionally, not being certified doesn't necessarily mean not resistant - it could simply mean they didn't want to pay for the tests.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Yes. Yes I would.

And it's not a meaningless number. Take a phone without IPXX rating and drop it in a puddle or in the toilet and see if IP67/IP68 rating really is "just a number".
It's not meaningless but it doesn't mean what you just indicated. IP67/IP68 both do not address a drop into a puddle or toilet at all. They may or may not protect in those scenarios, but that's uncertain because it's not part of the test and has nothing to do with what the test is testing. Both of those have several factors that aren't tested for and that would each be expected to significantly change the result. Chemicals, speed, motion, impact of water surface, impact with concrete or ceramic surface, device likely powered on, rapid temperature changes, etc.

Additionally, neither IP67 or IP68 certification require the device to be unscathed after testing. They require it to be able to function, meaning as a telephone. A device can come out of the tank, be turned on, have massive display damage, terrible battery life, be unable to charge and have damage to the physical buttons... But if the tester can make a phone call, stamp it. Now the OEM can up the standards and instruct the lab to fail that result, but so far no one has ever indicated that they have raised the standards.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Maybe one day i'll try oneplus, but as i need big battery, great big screen, great performance and amazing DAC, it won't answer those parameters.
So far, the Mate 9 i have, is the closest to it, i see no reason to upgrade to anything.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As exciting as the OnePlus 6 is and with the nice uptick in features it has over my 5T, I am staying with my 5T. I have had it since last December and with the recent Beta updates, I love it more each day.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking I'd probably get it, and I still might. The pics on AC's review are pretty solid but the review on Ars Technica had comparison shots with the Pixel 2 XL and there is a difference, the Pixel 2 XL looks like it's probably a little more true to life but for the money it's hard to knock the OP6 really as the pics still look solid. Plus the Ars review seemed out to get the OP6 from the start.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
IMHO the One Plus 6 is going to be a classic! Yes at 10 am tomorrow I am going to purchase the midnight black 128 gb. I don't go swimming with my device. I have a plug. I think it will be somewhat future proof. Pure Android, blazing fast, what I've seen a great camera. About 600 dollars. What's not to love?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As exciting as the OnePlus 6 is and with the nice uptick in features it has over my 5T, I am staying with my 5T. I have had it since last December and with the recent Beta updates, I love it more each day.

For sure! The 5T is an amazing device. Will you think about to upgrading to the 7 when it eventually comes out?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I’m considering it. I keep going back and forth on iOS or Android. This is the first phone I’ve seen in awhile that may actually pull me away from iOS.

Just face it Wildo you’re in the walled garden for good! LMAO. I’ve seen you saying this in every major forum for the last 3 years since you got the 6S LOL. You’ve got to be driving yourself nuts!! 🤣

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just face it Wildo you’re in the walled garden for good! LMAO. I’ve seen you saying this in every major forum for the last 3 years since you got the 6S LOL. You’ve got to be driving yourself nuts!! 🤣

Haha! Stalker!! I know I have. But Android has gotten SOOOO much better in that time frame and iOS has, well, basically stayed the same. I'm not enamored with the insanely expensive X I'm using. It's just kind of there. And from what I've seen, the OP6 has a camera that can rival it for half of what I paid for this phone.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to stick with my S8 Active. It works perfectly, has amazing battery life, and I really should be saving money for a trip in July. Plus I don't like being an early adopter of new phones, too many issues in the beginning. I'll wait to see what the 6 is like in a month or two.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For sure! The 5T is an amazing device. Will you think about to upgrading to the 7 when it eventually comes out?
It depends. If I am still working, then yes, I will seriously think about getting it. You see, work pays for my phones. I do need to go two years before I get the next one. I may just wait and pick up the 8. It all depends how quickly OnePlus brings the new iterations to market.