Wireless Tether deleted from market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpnm

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Tried to find the "Wireless Tether for Root Users" app, but it seems to have disappeared from the market. Anyone else notice this? Wondering if it's a temporary glitch, or if the Verizon gods have somehow banned it. Any thoughts on where to find it now?

kpnm

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the pointer! Never used the online market before, and I just tried configuring it appropriately. When I try to install this app, however, I get a message saying "This Item Not Available On Your Carrier".

I'll keep poking around to see if I'm doing something wrong...

kpnm

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... was able to download other apps through the online market without an issue. Starting to think this app has indeed been blocked by Verizon.

Raiden619

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted?

and my OG Droid has it but the screen stopped working soon as I got my T-Bolt (Coincidence? I think not lol)

You can also try sideloading the app but need someone to load the apk.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Good catch, checked myself and yup sure is gone by Verizon side. Also checked on my old Evo and guess what?, the program showed right up!!!

Raiden619

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Good catch, checked myself and yup sure is gone by Verizon side. Also checked on my old Evo and guess what?, the program showed right up!!!

Yeah we now need someone to grab the apk and put it up.
So we can sideload that app.

I'm not rooted yet but I will be by the end of the weekend and that's one of the apps I'm going to download first

kpnm

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I'm rooted. Installed it fine a few days ago. Decided to start over from scratch because I'm new to this whole process. Clean install this morning went smoothly for everything (root explorer, titanium backup, shootme) but lo-and-behold I can't get my wireless tether app back.

I am hoping I was smart enough to stash it away with titanium backup, and can hopefully restore.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Raiden google wireless tether and go to his website and pull the .apk from Mueller website! Yet haven't blocked side-loading!

Raiden619

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good, and heck no! They better not block side loading like on one of sprints phones. (forgot which one)

Last edited:

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
FYI, Panda was saying the other day that it's only a matter of time before VZW comes down hard on non-paying tetherers.

I would consider this a warning sign from them. Just my $0.02.

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but here is my question? why block this app and not the others. Seems if you going to block one, you going to block them all, right!?

kpnm

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I am not an industry insider by any means. But paulmike3 raises a good point. Verizon is considering new business models now that they have 4G devices with tethering ability... they are now in a position to compete directly with cable and DSL providers for home internet access. This makes free tethering apps more of a threat than they were before.

I am not trying to sway anyone one way or another. Just kinda thinking out loud (virtually speaking).

rugbyua9

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Unauthorized tethering is getting the hammer. The carriers are on to people. They know who is rooted and who is tethering. AT&T is first, the other carriers are not too far behind. This is fact.

Raiden619

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not an industry insider by any means. But paulmike3 raises a good point. Verizon is considering new business models now that they have 4G devices with tethering ability... they are now in a position to compete directly with cable and DSL providers for home internet access. This makes free tethering apps more of a threat than they were before.

Which makes sense but what if there are multiple computers in different locations the signal on the thunderbolt or any phone would not be strong enough to support all computers or what happens when you leave with your phone what about other people in the house trying to use the internet?

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Which makes sense but what if there are multiple computers in different locations the signal on the thunderbolt or any phone would not be strong enough to support all computers or what happens when you leave with your phone what about other people in the house trying to use the internet?

That's when they sell you a 4G hotspot that stays at home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084