Would you get rid of S7 edge for a pixel xl?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Even though I call bs on the water thing if u are telling the truth then lucky you. U must not be around kids a lot then. My lil bro killed one phone and my nephew killed another all by water damage. And I got tossed in a pool and ****ed up another one I had.

Remember when iPhone 6S/6S Plus users were saying how okay they were the lack of water resistance in their phones last year and trying to justify why it wasn't necessary? I feel a sense of deja vu here.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Even though I call bs on the water thing if u are telling the truth then lucky you. U must not be around kids a lot then. My lil bro killed one phone and my nephew killed another all by water damage. And I got tossed in a pool and ****ed up another one I had.

Yup. Never once have I damaged a phone from liquids of any sort. I'm constantly around kids too. We have four of em! I'm not saying that it isn't good to have it, but some people act like your life can't continue without it. I don't feel that way. That's down on my list. Plus there is insurance for those kids of things. For what it's worth, I'd still get AppleCare plus if I got an iPhone 7.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No. You'll have better water resistance on the S7 edge (IP68 on the edge vs IP53 on the Pixel), losing out on expandable storage with the Pixel XL, losing out on wireless charging with the Pixel XL, the S7 edge has better battery life, and the Pixel XL doesn't have the edge display. The camera on the S7 edge is almost as good as the camera on the Pixel. The only advantage the Pixel has over the S7 edge is Google Assistant. If you think that's worth the upgrade price, have at it.

Yep. it's just Google Assistant. So long as you exclude things like larger base storage included (S7e's advantage of MicroSD is nice, but Pixels offer larger standard memory that isn't as likely to be damaged corrupted), Daydream compatibility, lessened likelihood of damage to screen as the Pixels' screens aren't as susceptible to damage on the sides, better security, no redundant apps, compatibility with virtually every network globally should you choose to change carriers or travel extensively, etc...

Also, if the camera on the S7e is "almost as good" (your words), isn't that an advantage for the Pixel in that it is measurably better in your own opinion?

Not knocking the S7e - it's a better choice for many to whom its strengths appeal more, but there's more than just the OS and AI to enhance the appeal of the Pixel.

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
No have both phones with different users in our company... S7 and S7 edge are far and away the phones that we have the least issues with and that our staff loves. Two cents

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
No question that both are good phones. Depends what you value more

1) Galaxy s7 edge has the 5.5 display in a reasonably compact body, great battery life, great camera, wireless charging, micro sd card slot, waterproof, NFC with android and samsung pay

2) Pixel XL Great camera, amazing speed and promise of best software updates
lots of bleeding edge features like google assistant
great screen
good battery life
usb c port
Google daydream compatible
but again
no wireless charging
no micro sd card slot
not waterproof
super expensive
nfc android pay only, no samsung pay
larger in hand than the galaxy s7 edge, a bit clunkier to hold (for me)

I had just invested in some wireless fast charging stations from samsung, and to reduce stress on the micro usb port I thought this was useful. No such option on the pixel or pixel xl

I really wanted to keep my pixel xl, but it was hard to justify the expense of the phone when it was missing so many things common to smart phones in 2016, mainly water proofing, stereo speakers and expandable storage.

so I returned my pixel xl and kept my galaxy s7 edge. I don't think you can go wrong, its just a question of which is more useful.. I'd rather have the microsd card slot, waterproofing and wireless charging than a half-baked google assistant or other software features that are coming along slowly...there is a price to be paid for being on the bleeding edge...

Losing the micro-sd slot was tough for me, but no waterproofing? Meh. Even the htc bolt has it now!

RJurman

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I got rid of my S7 edge for the standard Pixel and will not look back. I admit I do miss the wireless charging but this Pixel charges close to 75% very quickly and my battery life is more than adequate.
I used both the Exynos and Snapdragon S7 edge models and still find the stock android so much smoother. As one person stated, it just works. Nothing over the top. It just does exactly what you want it to, and well. The water resistance means nothing to me but could be an issue for some.
Touchwiz is much better than it used to be but still seems clunky to me and slows the edge down. For me, it's the Pixel hands down.

rdavenp3

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
To not have to deal with Samsung's update process and duplicative apps, I'd say it's a good swap. If you have to have the edge screens, which I think are worthless and annoying to use, then you gotta go S7 edge. The cameras on both are phenomenal, so you probably won't know a difference. Battery life from what I've heard is basically a wash, if not even a little better on the Pixel. I also think TouchWiz still looks dated and cheap looking. At this point, for me, I won't go anywhere other than straight Google or Apple. Some people tout water resistance as the second coming of Jesus. I've been using cell phones for 20 years. 7 of those in a haze in college. Never once have I damaged a phone from liquids.
This exactly for me. I really liked the S7E but it got slower and battery drained faster over a period of months. I just hope the Pixel runs just as smoothly 6 months from now

CaribMas

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the s7 edge and was wondering if it is worth getting rid of it for the Pixel xl? besides newer OS, is there any advantage over the edge?

I wouldn't replace my S7E with the Pixel XL. I am satisfied with my current phone and have no desire to change. I get great battery life from my S7E; great results from the camera, and really like the micro SD card slot for expandable storage.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Losing the micro-sd slot was tough for me, but no waterproofing? Meh. Even the htc bolt has it now!

Neither the S7 nor S7 Edge (nor the HTC Bolt) is waterproof. If they were, Samsung would provide warranty against water damage. The only Samsung S7 variant that actually covers against water damage is the S7 Active.

The Samsung S7 and S7 Edge simply have a higher rating of water resistance than the Pixel and Pixel XL. Enough videos have surfaced showing people abusing their Pixels by leaving it underwater for 30 minutes and surviving to feel pretty comfortable that if it takes a fall in a sink, puddle, or pool, you'll be fine so long as you don't leave it there just because "you can."

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I believe it all boils down to preference. Both phones are home runs, in my opinion. You can't go wrong with either. If it were me, I would choose the S7 Edge - I'd stick with that instead of getting the XL. As much as I love stock Android, the Edge series is really good! As for what you're missing, I'm not too sure! I think the Pixel camera is better, but the Edge still delivers good quality shots. If you are undecided, play with the Pixel XL in the store and see what you think! Good luck!

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the s7 edge and was wondering if it is worth getting rid of it for the Pixel xl? besides newer OS, is there any advantage over the edge?

If you are hung up on the water resistance, wireless charging and theming I'd say know. If you care more about updates and want less lag them yes. Some days I miss my s7 edge and note 7 but other days I don't.

Don't forget though, the water resistance isn't covered by warranty on either phone.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No. You'll have better water resistance on the S7 edge (IP68 on the edge vs IP53 on the Pixel), losing out on expandable storage with the Pixel XL, losing out on wireless charging with the Pixel XL, the S7 edge has better battery life, and the Pixel XL doesn't have the edge display. The camera on the S7 edge is almost as good as the camera on the Pixel. The only advantage the Pixel has over the S7 edge is Google Assistant. If you think that's worth the upgrade price, have at it.
Do you even own a Pixel?

The battery life wasn't better on the S7 for me. I have a 128 gb XL. I don't miss my S7 at all. The S7 is noticeably slower than the Pixel. The Pixel gets monthly updates, which is a pretty awesome benefit. Stock Android is really easy to get used to and much more fluid than touch wiz.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I value user experience above every other spec on a phone, and the Pixel to me is hands down the best user experience I've had on a phone, so yes I would have traded the S7 for the Pixel.

I had the Note 7 but had to return it when the recall rolled out, so having used the latest Galaxy high end phone and the Pixel, I don't see myslef going back to Samsung next year. The UX is just too good on the Pixel for me. The only phone I'm interested in next year is the Pixel 2.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel gets monthly updates, which is a pretty awesome benefit. Stock Android is really easy to get used to and much more fluid than touch wiz.
Coming from a Google device (6P) to the S7E, I'm of a different opinion on that one. It was my first Google phone, so I was excited to be the first in line to get the updates too. But then I realized many of them caused issues with apps I used that broke or didn't work well until the developer tweaked them for the new release. And if you're rooted, you can't easily take the updates. Some Rom's (I ran Pure Nexus mostly) tried to keep up, but then there'd be major releases of those and you'd have to wipe the phone/reset it to get those. And the first release of Nougat was a disaster for most folks battery life, although that seems somewhat better with 7.0.1.

The native Android phone is fast, but my S7E is not noticeably laggyer. My N7 was, but the S7E is very fast and fluid. I played with the Pixel XL in a few stores. I'm sure it's a good phone. But it sure lacks any kind of sex appeal, which the N7 and S7E have in spades. And the screen on S7E is simply stunning. It was not a hard choice at all for me, but I sure get why folks would favor the Pixel too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene