Would you have noticed any display problems if the media hadn't made an issue of it

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm talking about the screen - there is zero blue shift on the Nexus 6 at any angle. You have one and can confirm or deny this. If it does, please take a picture and show me.

Looks like your Nexus 6 has a yellow shift problem to me.

Also, as far as the movie shots you posted (or whatever they are) the colors look better on the 2XL vs the Nexus 6.

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, my Nexus 6 doesn't have the blue tint when at an angle. My Pixel 2 XL definitely has the blue tint but it doesn't have a blue tint when looking at it straight on. That's the way I always look at it. If an RMA replacement didn't have the blue tint, I would, of course, also try for a replacement.
The majority of my usage is off angle. When typing, I naturally hold it angled away from me and the top half of the screen is blue. It also sits next to me at my desk (next to my keyboard).

Slight angled movements of the screen, even when directly in front of me, cause blue to appear. The annoying part is that one eye picks up the blue before the other which causes some discomfort. Hard to explain.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes sir. Big difference in the tint of blue and also the brightness between the two.

Thanks! If that's what your RMA replacement looks like, I too have nothing to lose by asking for a replacement myself. Are you planning to keep the replacement then?

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like your Nexus 6 has a yellow shift problem to me.
Right... It's clear in those pictures that a "yellow" shift is the problem.

Also, as far as the movie shots you posted (or whatever they are) the colors look better on the 2XL vs the Nexus 6.
Are you talking about the colors in the dark areas that you can't see because the Pixel 2 XL completely crushed the blacks?

Just to be clear, you prefer the screen on the bottom here?
VFGq3ajh.jpg

How about this one?
Sjl01F3h.jpg

Again, 3 year old Nexus 6 on top, Pixel 2 XL on the bottom.

Here's the HDR video. Make sure the youtube resolution settings has HDR enabled.

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! If that's what your RMA replacement looks like, I too have nothing to lose by asking for a replacement myself. Are you planning to keep the replacement then?

I'm not sure if I'm keeping either of them. Be aware that Google will make you work for an RMA if your reason is the blue shift. They will respond that the screen "is working as intended". In fact, I've heard that they are now flat out refusing RMAs for the blue shift. It took me about 20 minutes and lots of photos before they relented and sent the RMA.

If I'm spending $900 on a phone, I'm going to be picky about things. Especially the screen! I think we've all come to expect pretty major advancements in all of the technology packed into these things with each iteration. Everything (especially the camera) about this phone reinforces that. Except for the screen. I want that screen to be 3 years ahead of my Nexus 6 - it feels and looks like it's 3 years behind it.

So, long story even longer, I'm conflicted. I love everything about this phone but I hate the screen. I have 2 days left to decide if my wallet rewards Google for a great camera or I wait to see what next year brings.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'm keeping either of them. Be aware that Google will make you work for an RMA if your reason is the blue shift. They will respond that the screen "is working as intended". In fact, I've heard that they are now flat out refusing RMAs for the blue shift. It took me about 20 minutes and lots of photos before they relented and sent the RMA.

If I'm spending $900 on a phone, I'm going to be picky about things. Especially the screen! I think we've all come to expect pretty major advancements in all of the technology packed into these things with each iteration. Everything (especially the camera) about this phone reinforces that. Except for the screen. I want that screen to be 3 years ahead of my Nexus 6 - it feels and looks like it's 3 years behind it.

So, long story even longer, I'm conflicted. I love everything about this phone but I hate the screen. I have 2 days left to decide if my wallet rewards Google for a great camera or I wait to see what next year brings.

Is the replacement you got worth the effort?
Is there that much of a difference between the two?

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the replacement you got worth the effort?
Is there that much of a difference between the two?

There is a visible difference. The replacement one shifts blue at a slightly larger angle and the blue has less of a cyan tint to it (cooler). It's also noticeably brighter. The side by side comparison I posted earlier represents the color difference almost exactly compared to what I see in real life. Let me grab a video for you so you can see the difference. Give me a sec...

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Give me a sec...
Original on left, RMA on right. Camera had exposure and white balance locked (the shifting wreaked havoc without those locked!). Video is over exposed a bit - the shift happens a little sooner in real life but you should be able to see the difference between the two screens.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much for taking the time to do the side-by-side comparison of the original and replacement. You are very much appreciated! Mine seems to be about in the middle of the two. Based on your comparison I'm doubting I will go through the time and trouble to replace mine. I've had it since Oct 26th and when using it I really don't think about the blue shift until I actually go looking for it. I spent the first couple of days with it not even realizing it had a blue shift. I really do love this thing and the camera is amazing. I've done a couple of videos and the video stability is close to being like on a gimbal. I really couldn't bear to let it go at this point. And heck, in all likelihood I'll probably opt for a Pixel 3 next year anyway!

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll second the thanks for the video. Mine shifts like the one on the right and I'm returning. I may purchase another one or the smaller Pixel 2.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I can definitively say no to this one. I tested this device for 2 months without any issues of this kind and didn't notice at all until it was in the news, then I was able to tilt my device and notice the blue tint. At that point I also tested my other recent devices (Pixel XL OG, Nexus 6P, etc) and I went to Verizon and looked at several other devices (Note 8, S8, etc) and found out that they all do the same thing, just with differing colors. The other issues are completely non-existent in all of the devices that I've used, which is the test unit, the two I purchased and several that I have seen in stores.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Correct. And not just mine, a lot of others as well.

Completely different? Your screen does not tint blue at off angles? Nice!
HDR video doesn't crush blacks? Lucky! I'd love to see a comparison shot so I can show it to Google!

It's already well known that some displays are much worse than others. We can call that a QC issue or whatever you want, but they're not all terrible and they're not all decent.

bpsims

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
It's already well known that some displays are much worse than others. We can call that a QC issue or whatever you want, but they're not all terrible and they're not all decent.

It's a massive QC issue. I'm staring at 2 screens that behave quite differently. And the "media" didn't create this issue. Google did. Regular users started reporting on it almost immediately and only then did the "media" pick up the stories.

I would love to see your Pixel 2 XL shifting at the same or larger angles than the other phones you said you compared it to. I honestly haven't seen a Pixel XL performing better than those phones. I've seen *a lot* of images/videos suggesting otherwise. If you could post a comparison shot, that'd be great! If not, no worries.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Regular users started reporting on it almost immediately and only then did the "media" pick up the stories.

The first report came from Ron Amadeo with Ars Technica, as did the first speculation of a potential issue based on his hands on with the LG V30 a month earlier. Prior to his comments, this set of "issues" wasn't even mentioned in product forums or tester forums.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's a massive QC issue. I'm staring at 2 screens that behave quite differently. And the "media" didn't create this issue. Google did. Regular users started reporting on it almost immediately and only then did the "media" pick up the stories.

I would love to see your Pixel 2 XL shifting at the same or larger angles than the other phones you said you compared it to. I honestly haven't seen a Pixel XL performing better than those phones. I've seen *a lot* of images/videos suggesting otherwise. If you could post a comparison shot, that'd be great! If not, no worries.

Are you keeping your 2 XL?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevincousy