would you install windows 8 on yipour xoom?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Ehhhh...I don't think I would. I would be more willing to try osX on my xoom. I would NEVER buy a windows phone...why would I want windows on my xoom?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Honeycomb has been designed and optimized to run on the Xooms hardware, so I’d imagine that trying to run a larger and more comprehensive OS like Windows 8, patched and ported for a Tegra 2 platform would likely come at such a high cost in performance that any other advantages would be for naught.

While I would never consider trying to run Windows 8 on my Xoom, a bona-fide Windows 8 tablet will be a real contender for me in considering my next tablet device.

While the reality is that in order to provide me with usability, a tablet does not need to have the full functionality of (for instance) a laptop, but the closer a tablet can come to such full functionality (without impacting performance, and without being prohibitively expensive [i.e. the cost of MS Office vs the cost of Documents to go or Quick Office] to implement), the better and more attractive.

Of course, the other potential outcome of a viable Windows 8 tablet might be to push Google to provide the option of a less Spartan Android OS, perhaps providing downloadable and installable drivers to allow for the simple use of external drives and devices via USB, which would allow Android tablets to better compete with Windows 8 equipped tablets in terms of additional functionalities.

Actual “windowing” is, for me, an obvious advantage over mere task switching in Honeycomb, but given the availability of “clipboard” apps, hardly a deal breaker. Android doesn’t need to be as extensive as Windows to be an effective and “usable” tablet OS, but Google should strive to keep Windows 8 from having distinct advantages which might justify the additional costs.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to edit titles?

I typed this up late at night, on my Xoom.

Anyway, onto the subject at hand.

I might try it, if it's possible to dual-boot. I have to admit, I like the idea of being able to do all of my work on my tablet (I'm in school, and Visual Studio is a definite must).

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think that a Xoom would run Windows 8 well, if at all. From what I've read, it is currently far from optimized for ARM based processors, although it is in the works.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think that a Xoom would run Windows 8 well, if at all. From what I've read, it is currently far from optimized for ARM based processors, although it is in the works.

You have heard wrong, they had a tegra 3 running the preview version perfectly at build.

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I find that article funny when we have already seen a good demo of A) office for arm and B) the desktop app running on arm. Where was the hedging? During CES 2011, he showed office running on arm.

kiwiruss

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 will probably need one of the new quad core tegra processors to run at a decent speed.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Chuckroid

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm with slwerner on this... I don't think Tegra 2 will ever run Windows 8 effectively. Tegra 3 is a five core processor, vs. Tegra 2's dual core. I don't think a GB of ram is going to do it either.

I'd sure like to have one of those developer's tabs tho!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerretPhone