"xfinity wifi" is overriding my home wifi network. Why?

MrGoodEmployee

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello. I am a new user who searched for this question but couldn't quite find someone with the same issue.

I have my wifi turned on (Samsung Galaxy s6) and have never had a problem with my phone auto-connecting to my home network upon getting home before. However, in the past few days I've gone to use my phone after getting home and I've noticed it's connected to a network called "xfinity wifi" with a weak signal. I have to manually go in and connect to my home network to override this. It is obnoxious because, of course, I want my phone to simply connect to my home wifi rather than some strange, weaker signal, which I then have to manually change.

Owing to some solutions from other threads I read, I want to clarify: I'm aware of "xfinity wifi" being a hotspot, and I have seen my phone connect to these sometimes when I'm on the train or bus. I don't really care what it is. I understand I can just turn off my wifi, or log in manually each time I get home, however this solution is not ideal for obvious reasons.

Why is my phone choosing to connect to the "xfinity wifi hotspot" over my (preferred) home wifi? How can I fix this?

Thank you for your time.

Adeling

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. If you click on the unwanted network in your settings, there should be the option to "forget this network".

I have the same problem, and I don't want to forget Xfinity - which I use when I am outside my home - I just want my home network to be the one that is connected to by default. I have a OnePlus 6, and this was not a problem on my Motorola X Play.\

Incidentally, I have also tried to remove Xfinity and add it again, so that it's a newer one, and I've tried the same with my home network, and yet Xfinity is always the one connected to...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Xfinity may have recently installed a router near your house, so the phone is locking to that as you pass it, then won't let go of it when you get home. (Unfortunately, there's no "preferred network" setting.) You could probably write a little Tasker task to keep checking for your home wifi SSID when it's connected to an Xfinity signal, and switch to it if it finds it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001