Question Xiaomi Note 8 Pro - Rarely used bluetooth devices

william9

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro and I noticed that it has this section which says "Rarely used Bluetooth devices", I have noticed that apparently some phones at my workplace sometimes appear on that list and possibly my neighbours devices.

The term is confusint since as far as I know I have never paired them with my phone and actually used them. At first when I noticed it there was Oneplus branded phone listed and I was confused, suspecting security problem and that I made some type of error and accidently sent a file to that phone or something.

After checking and finding out that more and more devices appear on that list depending on my location I started to think that that list simply shows a list of devices the phone has detected several times during these years and it's nothing to be concerned about, there was also bluetooth thermostat and TV Hub found during my testing.

Android version is the latest officially available (Android 11, MIUI 12.5.7).

There seems to be no setting for disabling bluetooth visibility, with my old Huawei phone you were invisible unless you wanted to be detected for pairing for a short time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Let's see if @Madd62 or @dangerousfen can weigh in -- I know those two members are active Xiaomi users on this forum.

I'm guessing it's as you said -- these are simply Bluetooth devices that the phone has detected, rather than established an official pairing/connection (although the wording of that section is misleading).

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I'm still not enormously familiar with Bluetooth after all these years. Just occasionally hook up for calls in cars I drive for other people.

I cannot also see a way to limit the time or devices my Poco F2 Pro hooks up to (MIUI 13, Android 12).
As you say the Rarely Used list probably changes with locale even though you may never connect them.
I have one only on that list that I don't know and doesn't connect.

I have a Mi 10 Lite 5G whose Settings are closer to the Note 8 Pro but I recently factory reset it and it's not set up. (The Poco Launcher / UI has mild changes)

Here's screenshots anyway:

Screenshot_2023-09-26-23-43-36-382_com.android.settings.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-26-23-43-59-751_com.android.settings.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-26-23-44-39-935_com.android.settings.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-26-23-52-13-647_com.android.settings.jpgScreenshot_2023-09-26-23-40-27-297_com.android.settings.jpg

Reactions: B. Diddy

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I uss a Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus now and find that Xiaomi's Bluetooth has a lot to answer for.
I too have devices shown that I have never even dealt with and since MIUI 14 with Android 13 was introduced both my car's connection and Mi Watch connection have gone completely haywire.
They need to get a grip and sort it out.
Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

Sent from my 22101316UG using AC Forums mobile app

Reactions: Madd62 and B. Diddy

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro and I noticed that it has this section which says "Rarely used Bluetooth devices", I have noticed that apparently some phones at my workplace sometimes appear on that list and possibly my neighbours devices.

The term is confusint since as far as I know I have never paired them with my phone and actually used them. At first when I noticed it there was Oneplus branded phone listed and I was confused, suspecting security problem and that I made some type of error and accidently sent a file to that phone or something.

After checking and finding out that more and more devices appear on that list depending on my location I started to think that that list simply shows a list of devices the phone has detected several times during these years and it's nothing to be concerned about, there was also bluetooth thermostat and TV Hub found during my testing.

Android version is the latest officially available (Android 11, MIUI 12.5.7).

There seems to be no setting for disabling bluetooth visibility, with my old Huawei phone you were invisible unless you wanted to be detected for pairing for a short time.
If you look at Madds screenshot below you'll see under "Apps turning on Bluetooth" there's an app called "Mi Share" that turned on bluetooth, that sounds very similar to the Quick Share on a Samsung phone I believe it's called, and Nearby Share on a Pixel, both of which are designed to share things between other phones/devices that also have that feature turned on.

You should be able to turn that "Mi Share" feature off if you don't want it detecting other devices with the share feature turned on. I wouldn't worry about your phone just detecting the other devices though.... it's like detecting wifi networks, there's no problems seeing the other devices, it's connecting that's the possible risk, and your phone can't connect without you going through the process of connecting it... same with the other people's devices 😉
I'm still not enormously familiar with Bluetooth after all these years. Just occasionally hook up for calls in cars I drive for other people.

I cannot also see a way to limit the time or devices my Poco F2 Pro hooks up to (MIUI 13, Android 12).
As you say the Rarely Used list probably changes with locale even though you may never connect them.
I have one only on that list that I don't know and doesn't connect.

I have a Mi 10 Lite 5G whose Settings are closer to the Note 8 Pro but I recently factory reset it and it's not set up. (The Poco Launcher / UI has mild changes)

Here's screenshots anyway:

View attachment 356344View attachment 356345View attachment 356346View attachment 356347View attachment 356348

Reactions: Madd62 and B. Diddy

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I uss a Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus now and find that Xiaomi's Bluetooth has a lot to answer for.
I too have devices shown that I have never even dealt with and since MIUI 14 with Android 13 was introduced both my car's connection and Mi Watch connection have gone completely haywire.
They need to get a grip and sort it out.
Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

Sent from my 22101316UG using AC Forums mobile app
I missed this post when scrolling - so that concurs with recent brief experiences.

I hooked up a new-ish Dell desktop and an old Jabra ear piece yesterday and it did lose one or both of them off the list individually iirc.

So there is an issue then! Interesting.

I only used Bluetooth in one person's car over the last year but they rely on WhatsApp messages mostly.

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
If you look at Madds screenshot below you'll see under "Apps turning on Bluetooth" there's an app called "Mi Share" that turned on bluetooth, that sounds very similar to the Quick Share on a Samsung phone I believe it's called, and Nearby Share on a Pixel, both of which are designed to share things between other phones/devices that also have that feature turned on.

You should be able to turn that "Mi Share" feature off if you don't want it detecting other devices with the share feature turned on. I wouldn't worry about your phone just detecting the other devices though.... it's like detecting wifi networks, there's no problems seeing the other devices, it's connecting that's the possible risk, and your phone can't connect without you going through the process of connecting it... same with the other people's devices 😉

Good point.
Also in Settings - Connection and Sharing : there's Nearby Share which also uses Bluetooth.

I found another setting somewhere that might be relevant but lost it again!

If I venture deeper into the UI again I'm afraid I'll never get out and a search party will never find me!
(a bit like Google itself, really!) 😜

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-02-27-181_com.miui.mishare.connectivity.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-02-27-181_com.miui.mishare.connectivity.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-03-16-312-edit_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-27-20-03-16-312-edit_com.android.settings.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230927_201312.jpg
    IMG_20230927_201312.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2023-09-27-19-36-41-031_com.android.settings.jpg