YouTube Music Won't Shuffle Downloaded Music Anymore

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just happened today. Whenever I go to Library - Downloads and tap 'Shuffle All', I get this error. Was working fine last night. If I choose a specific artist or track that has been downloaded, it plays fine. Just the shuffle function is broken. Anyone else?

Screenshot_20220617-130042.jpg

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Try this...

The solution is to open the YTM web interface https://music.youtube.com then load the problematic playlist then scan for and delete any greyed out songs that will be listed as "unavailable". Once they're deleted your playlist should shuffle properly.

They said when/if migrated from Google play music some songs probably failed along the way.

Last edited:

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Just happened today. Whenever I go to Library - Downloads and tap 'Shuffle All', I get this error. Was working fine last night. If I choose a specific artist or track that has been downloaded, it plays fine. Just the shuffle function is broken. Anyone else?

View attachment 345804

Are you on Android 11? You say your downloaded songs. I use Spotify and I wonder if YouTube music stores in the same place in /android/data/ folder. Android 11 you can no longer access that folder without root. So I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. And when you choose the single song it plays because it's probably streaming It using your data, but shuffling the whole library probably uses your downloaded files. Just a guess, I dunno.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you on Android 11? You say your downloaded songs. I use Spotify and I wonder if YouTube music stores in the same place in /android/data/ folder. Android 11 you can no longer access that folder without root. So I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it. And when you choose the single song it plays because it's probably streaming It using your data, but shuffling the whole library probably uses your downloaded files. Just a guess, I dunno.

Android 12.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing the app cache/data for the YT Music app and force stop it, then open again and see if it persists.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried making a smaller playlist?

It's not a playlist, it's songs that were downloaded to my phone (Pixel 6 Pro) for offline listening and for shuffling all my songs. One of the limitations of YTM is that if you want to shuffle ALL your songs they have to be downloaded to the device. Stupid, but it is what it is. I wish there was a feature that automatically added ALL your songs to a separate playlist. But I digress. The only issue I'm having is that all the sudden I can't shuffle my downloaded songs. Playlists regardless of size work fine.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Try clearing the app cache/data for the YT Music app and force stop it, then open again and see if it persists.

Didn't work, although I didn't clear data as that would have nuked all my downloaded songs. I'm thinking this is an issue on Google's end or a wonky update. I noticed this happened when I got a notification something to the affect that "your Pixel Just Got More Helpful" and gave me an option to scan my Covid vaccine card and one other thing that I don't remember.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not a playlist, it's songs that were downloaded to my phone (Pixel 6 Pro) for offline listening and for shuffling all my songs. One of the limitations of YTM is that if you want to shuffle ALL your songs they have to be downloaded to the device. Stupid, but it is what it is. I wish there was a feature that automatically added ALL your songs to a separate playlist. But I digress. The only issue I'm having is that all the sudden I can't shuffle my downloaded songs. Playlists regardless of size work fine.

You're not talking about your own tracks that you uploaded to Google Play/YouTube Music, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, because when I went to my Library section, then Songs, and then chose the Uploads section, I was able to shuffle my songs without having to download them. But this wasn't a mixture of my own uploads along with YTM tracks, so maybe that's the issue.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Interesting, because when I went to my Library section, then Songs, and then chose the Uploads section, I was able to shuffle my songs without having to download them. But this wasn't a mixture of my own uploads along with YTM tracks, so maybe that's the issue.

Yeah I bet you're right.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shirlysmith44