Z2 Play 4/64 ($349) vs G5s Plus 4/64 ($250)

sawdin

Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
Replacing a Moto G4. Moto Z2 Play is now $350 and the G5s Plus is $250. Has anyone used both phones?

• How do they compare in terms of performance? Does one "lag" or hiccup more than the other? I know specs are very similar, but Z2 Play has 2.2 GHz octa-core cpu vs 2.0 in G5s Plus.
  • Battery is same size, but is there any difference in run-time?
  • If Z2 Play shell with wireless charging works standing up in an automobile charging "cup", that would be a plus. However, online specs note that it needs to lie flat on a charging pad
  • With the battery back mods, can you leave them attached all the time and charge phone, then battery pack, or do you need to remove the battery backs to charge the phone first?
    I haven't used NFC before, but would probably use it.

I don't watch videos or do much with photos, so AMOLED doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'd probably use NFC, but I can do without.

If I won't be using any mods, not sure the Z2 Play is worth an extra $100. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not comfortable with 3/32 on US G6. If the G6 Plus was available in the US, I'd get that. X4 is not an option as I want a larger screen. Nokia 6.1 only has 3GB ram and it appears that every update it receives causes problems.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My bad....AT&T

No worries.

Only reason I asked is because the Verizon Moto Z2 Play frequently goes on sale for $10/mo DPP - essentially $240 + $30 activation, bringing the two prices much closer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used the Moto G5S Plus but I have the Z2 Play -

• How do they compare in terms of performance? Does one "lag" or hiccup more than the other? I know specs are very similar, but Z2 Play has 2.2 GHz octa-core cpu vs 2.0 in G5s Plus.

Should be negligible.

• Battery is same size, but is there any difference in run-time?

Should be similar.

• If Z2 Play shell with wireless charging works standing up in an automobile charging "cup", that would be a plus. However, online specs note that it needs to lie flat on a charging pad

Probably depends more on how the coils line up.

• With the battery back mods, can you leave them attached all the time and charge phone, then battery pack, or do you need to remove the battery backs to charge the phone first?
    I haven't used NFC before, but would probably use it.

You can leave them on all the time. There is an ON/OFF setting in addition to settings to charge to 80% or 100%.

The Motorola Power Packs charge while attached the phone with the phone plugged in. The Motorola Turbo Power Pack can charge while attached to the phone or via it's own USB-C port. Incipio has a wireless charging model that can either charge while attached with the phone plugged in, attached and on a charging pad, or on it's own on a charging pad.

Also -

If security and OS updates are high on your list of required features, the Z2 Play being a Z model is probably more likely go be supported quicker/longer.