Zoom sets

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One thing i like to do is pick a subject a ways off and run the gamut on zooms just because. 1x, 3x, 10x, 30x, 100x.

Post your zoom sets here if you do the same. Mods can make it a sticky if they want.

The water tower is about 3000 feet from where I was parked

So get out there, do some zoom sets and post em here!!!!

20220225_155025.jpg

20220225_155021.jpg

20220225_155016.jpg

20220225_155009.jpg

20220225_154955.jpg

Last edited:

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The zoom on this camera is just disrespectful! I zoomed in on the dog across the street and was able to see his eye color lol. Crazy good!

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Would you please show us your dog photo zoomed in.

I wanna say this was 30x. It was yesterday so don't quote me! This is across a residential 2 lane street with sidewalks. Both yards are set back from the street. I have no idea the distance.

Attachments

• 22920.jpg
    22920.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 297

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. He's probably just bored and would rather be with human or other doggy friends, not outside by himself.
Exactly! He's very healthy and he gets walked daily. Hes inside when it's bad/cold weather, but I never see them play with him or anything. Maybe they do, but I agree. He's bored. Young Pitties need lots of stimulation and exercise.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! He's very healthy and he gets walked daily. Hes inside when it's bad/cold weather, but I never see them play with him or anything. Maybe they do, but I agree. He's bored. Young Pitties need lots of stimulation and exercise.
They do. Pitties are smart dogs who need to exercise their minds and bodies.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
One thing i like to do is pick a subject a ways off and run the gamut on zooms just because. 1x, 3x, 10x, 30x, 100x.

Post your zoom sets here if you do the same. Mods can make it a sticky if they want.

The water tower is about 3000 feet from where I was parked

So get out there, do some zoom sets and post em here!!!!

View attachment 342196

View attachment 342197

View attachment 342198

View attachment 342199

View attachment 342200

Is that last pic really a 100x zoom? Because it looks very good for such a mostly digital zoom.

And also, I'm not understanding the discrepancy between your zoom shots and the single zoom shot above of the neighbours dog.

That poster states the dog shot is a 30x zoom. As I pinch zoom that image on my phone, I can clearly see that the image of the dog and the whole pic generally is soft and not very detailed.

However, your series of zoom shots are far clearer, and even that 100x zoom last pic is a better and more detailed image than the 30x zoom shot of that neighbours dog.

So what gives? I just don't understand how your 100x zoom shot is significantly better than someone elses 30x zoom shot. And significantly better. Do you have a particular technique when taking these zoom images? Because I'd love to know.

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Cursory view on my laptop it appears to me the water tower 100x zoom is focused on the water tower. Looking at the dog photo, it appears to me the focus is primarily on the diagonal square tube running top-to-bottom. If that is the case, the dog (and the flower pot in front will and appear to be slightly out of focus...soft if you want).

For a shot like that with my Nikon (or basically any DSLR) you would need to place the exact focus point on the dog if left to a wide focus it may focus on anther point. The camera, be it a DSLR or a phone is only an item to take a photo you want to take. Even the most expensive DSLR on the market needs some gentle pushes at time to get the best photo.

I have only taken a few shots with the S22; however, I'm sure it has a way to touch the screen to set the exact focus point as on my 4XL. At least I sure hope it does.

Not sure if this is the case, but it sure appears to be why there is a big difference.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Is that last pic really a 100x zoom? Because it looks very good for such a mostly digital zoom.

And also, I'm not understanding the discrepancy between your zoom shots and the single zoom shot above of the neighbours dog.

That poster states the dog shot is a 30x zoom. As I pinch zoom that image on my phone, I can clearly see that the image of the dog and the whole pic generally is soft and not very detailed.

However, your series of zoom shots are far clearer, and even that 100x zoom last pic is a better and more detailed image than the 30x zoom shot of that neighbours dog.

So what gives? I just don't understand how your 100x zoom shot is significantly better than someone elses 30x zoom shot. And significantly better. Do you have a particular technique when taking these zoom images? Because I'd love to know.

Yes the last pic is 100x zoom. I have noticed posting pics here that things will post differently depending if you post with a phone, pc, or whatever. I'm sure there is some compression depending.

I posted these using the website on a PC. When I click on my pictures it opens a new tab and you can even zoom in on them. If you look at the 100x zoom you can tell the quality degradation. Its not as bad as the s20 ultra, but its still there.

For me, Katrinas picture shows up as a tiny small picture. There is no clicking on it to open it in a new tab like you can with mine. I'm guessing since you are looking at it on a phone, and she may have posted it with an app that resizes and compresses, and then you pinched to zoom, its not going to look as good. Just a thought on that. Not sure if it makes sense.

Thats why I posted this thread for zoom sets, so people can get a perspective rather than someone throwing up a 30x zoom with no reference.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

Idk about his, but I didn't take time to really focus and try to get a clean shot. I basically picked my camera up, touched a zoom number and snapped the pic. I'm positive it could be MUCH better. In this case, fault me, the user! Lol

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Idk about his, but I didn't take time to really focus and try to get a clean shot. I basically picked my camera up, touched a zoom number and snapped the pic. I'm positive it could be MUCH better. In this case, fault me, the user! Lol

Not your fault. The camera just focused on the something other than the dog. With the camera turned On you can place your finger on a spot and a yellow bracket will show up and that is where the main focus point is. I just tried it on my dog. Finger on my dog's nose and my coffee cup on a table next to me is out of focus. However, when I place my finger on the coffee cup on the screen it comes into focus and the dog goes out of focus.

I'm pretty sure the phone camera focused on that steel beam making the dog out of focus.

lmandl

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I just took this through my living room window, triple pane. So not the clearest because, well, triple pane, but impressive non the less. 1x, 4x and 10x. Can't wait for spring!20220226_084954.jpg20220226_085002.jpg20220226_085009.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thewhitecarno