Phone does factory reset on it's own

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
This is the second time in four weeks my phone froze and then restarted. Came back up and the phone wiped both internal and external memory.
I am running BAMF 1.10, and it was running smooth, but all of a sudden it just ran hot a little while, then locked and froze. Battery was 50%.
I am work, but tried to do a restore, but my image was gone since the SD card was wiped ,which I am wondering if the SD card is getting flaky.
I have a new SD card, I might try when I get home, I also have my backups on an external HD, as after the last time, I didn't want to go through this nonsense again.

Besides my theory on the SD card, any idea what can be causing a completed wipe of external and internal memory. Hey Cerberus made it as it was flashed to the ROM :).
Also the battery I am using is a extended battery I got, wondering if that also could be an issue.

Edited to add: I am now wondering after some research, if my battery is lower than what I see. If 50% might have been 10% for example, I did a clear battery statistics when I installed BAMF, so I am just wondering if that might be it...this is such a pain in the ****.

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
One comment after reading your post.... a factory wipe does not wipe your SD card. And you should wipe the battery statistics, but I only wipe it when I'm sure I have an absolute 100% battery charge. And one last note about your issues... I had bad luck running the stock kernel with BAMF Forever 1.10, very sluggish and laggy... and actually right now I'm running 1.11 with the 3++ Kernel.

Reactions: drhere

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
One comment after reading your post.... a factory wipe does not wipe your SD card. And you should wipe the battery statistics, but I only wipe it when I'm sure I have an absolute 100% battery charge. And one last note about your issues... I had bad luck running the stock kernel with BAMF Forever 1.10, very sluggish and laggy... and actually right now I'm running 1.11 with the 3++ Kernel.

Do you think the card is flaky since the card is empty (formatted)? I am running 3++ which has been fine. I also was at 100% when I cleared statistics.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I can not think of one reason how your SD card could format itself, or any process that would cause it to format itself. Even if it was flaky it should not delete every thing on it.

You might have some hardware issue. Maybe you might want to try a different ROM.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm weighing in on the corrupt/bad SDcard theory. If the index gets hosed (physical or logical problem) it may look like it's empty. And, I suppose, could have caused a restart. As fatboy said, certainly no reset, factory or otherwise, should wipe an SDcard. That's why I think it's a bad SDcard that is appearing to be wiped.

-Frank

Reactions: drhere

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am putting in my new SD card just in case, but I think I might have found the answer. I restored my device, my image was two weeks old, so I have to update a little, but I noticed I have an old app I forgot about on the TBolt. I also used it when I had my old Droid X.
It is a security app called Autowipe
https://market.android.com/details?...vbS52ZXNwZXJhTm92dXMuYXBwLkF1dG93aXBlRnJlZSJd

It is set to wipe my SD card and phone after 10 unsuccessful tries. Right before my phone locked it kept shutting down, and I was trying to turn it back on, but the screen would shut down too fast for me to enter in my PIN, it is a theory, I think it may have thought I tried too many times and wiped the phone.
I purchased Cerberus, so I probably shouldn't be running all these apps all at once.
It is a theory, but Autowipe may be a suspect.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I am putting in my new SD card just in case, but I think I might have found the answer. I restored my device, my image was two weeks old, so I have to update a little, but I noticed I have an old app I forgot about on the TBolt. I also used it when I had my old Droid X.
It is a security app called Autowipe
https://market.android.com/details?...vbS52ZXNwZXJhTm92dXMuYXBwLkF1dG93aXBlRnJlZSJd

It is set to wipe my SD card and phone after 10 unsuccessful tries. Right before my phone locked it kept shutting down, and I was trying to turn it back on, but the screen would shut down too fast for me to enter in my PIN, it is a theory, I think it may have thought I tried too many times and wiped the phone.
I purchased Cerberus, so I probably shouldn't be running all these apps all at once.
It is a theory, but Autowipe may be a suspect.

Well... I'm glad you figured it out.... and like Frank, I'm glad I don't have that app... I guess it's nice to have if you will want your Android to act like a Blackberry, but it's not for me.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well... I'm glad you figured it out.... and like Frank, I'm glad I don't have that app... I guess it's nice to have if you will want your Android to act like a Blackberry, but it's not for me.

Yea, that's what I was thinking when I discovered the app awhile back during my DX days. After 10 it would wipe, s it can be secure.
I didn't haven't had this issue pre-root, so either the app (which hasn't been updated recently) doesn't work well with GB or root, or it is flaking out.
My phone did freeze, and I was about to pull the battery, but since I was at work, I got sidetracked. I think the app (again a theory) thought these multiple tries were failed attempts and said "OK time to wipe SD and internal memory", like it was programmed to do.
I put in my new SD (faster class 4 and newer) just in case. After updating everything, I created another backup also.
Good app in theory, but if I am running Cerberus as root, that (hopefully) would be enough.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non