thunderbolt rooted!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just read on xda the thunderbolt has been rooted. This is nice next up cm7. Clockwork installed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11301220
aefcf8f3-b9eb-06c0.jpg

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there one click root avail? :) For noobs?

From one of the devs involved in the root process:

"This phone was the official non production HTC Mecha (codename). It may vary from the one released (HTC Thunderbolt). Things to note:

*The phone in the pictures came with Ship S-OFF
*No temp root but perm root with recovery

However, us over at AndIRC are very confident the same methods will still apply but we are keeping that information confidential at this time. Definitely get excited but remember things can always change."

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yea its normal to keep the process low key so HTC doesn't find a way a way to fix the root hole.

Sent from DroidX running DarkSlide4.2

SUB-dawg

Nexus Lover
Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
you can tell the unit is preproduction. the place where the FFC is is slanted to the side and the plastic part at the bottom looks uneven.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there one click root avail? :) For noobs?
I was actually wondering about this too. I'm still not completely sure what rooting means. I've been with crackberry for so long, downloading leaked OS's come like second nature...this is a whole new world for me lol

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I was actually wondering about this too. I'm still not completely sure what rooting means. I've been with crackberry for so long, downloading leaked OS's is like second nature...this is a whole new world for me lol

In a nutshell, rooting gives you full access to parts of the filesystem that the manufacturer normally tries to lock you out of.

Once you have root (superuser) access, you can install certain apps that need access to those "locked out" parts of the filesystem (apps like wifi tether, screenshot apps, overclocking apps, full filesystem browsers, etc). Rooting also provides you with the ability to remove bloatware, install custom themes, remove Sense (for those that don't like it), and install custom ROMs.

Another part of rooting is the installation of a custom recovery partition like clockworkmod. This allows you to make full and complete backups of you filesystem in the event that something on your phone goes wrong. You can recover from soft bricks by restoring to one of these backups.

Point is: Everything to gain by rooting, nothing to lose - well, except maybe your warranty :p

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Noob question: does this information give any indication of a locked bootloader?

You can see in one of the pictures the word "S-OFF" which means no locked bootloader.

It means the security switch is set to "off" which means you CAN install unsigned ROMs (the very thing that locked bootloaders try to prevent).

HTC doesn't use locked bootloaders, Motorola does - hence the reason that many people prefer this phone over the Bionic (which is expected to have a locked BL)

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
In a nutshell, rooting gives you full access to parts of the filesystem that the manufacturer normally tries to lock you out of.

Once you have root (superuser) access, you can install certain apps that need access to those "locked out" parts of the filesystem (apps like wifi tether, screenshot apps, overclocking apps, full filesystem browsers, etc). Rooting also provides you with the ability to remove bloatware, install custom themes, remove Sense (for those that don't like it), and install custom ROMs.

Another part of rooting is the installation of a custom recovery partition like clockworkmod. This allows you to make full and complete backups of you filesystem in the event that something on your phone goes wrong. You can recover from soft bricks by restoring to one of these backups.

Point is: Everything to gain by rooting, nothing to lose - well, except maybe your warranty :p

good info, thanks...so when you go to do the actual "rooting", do you just click on a link, or is there a lot more involved? Are there updates to roots to where it has to be done more than once? I probably sound like a beginner who shouldn't even be messing with this stuff (which I am with android), but once I do it for the 1st time, I will be good to go in the future..(sorry, this prob isnt the place to ask these questions, so i'm gonna search around too)

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You can see in one of the pictures the word "S-OFF" which means no locked bootloader.

It means the security switch is set to "off" which means you CAN install unsigned ROMs (the very thing that locked bootloaders try to prevent).

HTC doesn't use locked bootloaders, Motorola does - hence the reason that many people prefer this phone over the Bionic (which is expected to have a locked BL)

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I had a droid 2 global and the development on that thing is just dead lol

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
good info, thanks...so when you go to do the actual "rooting", do you just click on a link, or is there a lot more involved? Are there updates to roots to where it has to be done more than once? I probably sound like a beginner who shouldn't even be messing with this stuff (which I am with android), but once I do it for the 1st time, I will be good to go in the future..(sorry, this prob isnt the place to ask these questions, so i'm gonna search around too)

Heh, no worries, it's fine. We were all n00bs at one point :p

The rooting process for each phone is different. Sometimes it's as easy as a 1-click method, others require you to ADB into the phone via a terminal or command prompt and use more complex Linux commands like "mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system", for example. But there is always a tutorial on how to do it

This phone is going to be very popular, and as such, will have a lot of development behind it. The unrEVOked team is usually the main group of devs that focuses on HTC devices, so I imagine they will eventually have a 1-click method for you to use just like they have for all other HTC phones pictured on their webpage.

Just google "rooting FAQ" to find plenty of links that discuss the overall process of rooting, as well as the risks involved. Once this root is made public, there will be plenty of information and support about how to do it, so don't worry ;)

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Good news with the root. I plan to rock HTC Sense stock for a while but will be nice to root this at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87