Looking list of step to take before/after rooting

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I know all the info on processes of rooting, flashing roms etc. is out there. The trouble I'm having being a Android noob is fully understanding what I should do before root and after.
In short I'm looking for a list from the pros out there as to what would you recommend doing before and after rooting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: dajogejr

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Before rooting read the walkthru's on rooting several times and get comfortable with the process.

Also rooting the tbolt right now will delete all your data, so if you like, write down all the apps you want to get back, or download a program like Zemna app list, which will save a list of your apps to your sd card and provide you with market links after you root and download zemna again, so you can easily get your apps back.

After rooting, you should download rom manager, open the app up, and flash recovery. After that, you need to make a NANDroid backup with rom manager app or clockworkmod recovery, so that when you start to mess with things you have something stable to go back to in case something goes wrong.

You can also get Titanium backup and use that to save your apps and data, but if you flash roms, DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM DATA (this could cause problems). In TB you can filter out the system stuff from the user stuff.

The most important thing to do is read about everything you plan on doing, get kind of comfortable, and then read more.

Reactions: Smittyn804

Smittyn804

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Before rooting read the walkthru's on rooting several times and get comfortable with the process.

Also rooting the tbolt right now will delete all your data, so if you like, write down all the apps you want to get back, or download a program like Zemna app list, which will save a list of your apps to your sd card and provide you with market links after you root and download zemna again, so you can easily get your apps back.

After rooting, you should download rom manager, open the app up, and flash recovery. After that, you need to make a NANDroid backup with rom manager app or clockworkmod recovery, so that when you start to mess with things you have something stable to go back to in case something goes wrong.

You can also get Titanium backup and use that to save your apps and data, but if you flash roms, DO NOT RESTORE SYSTEM DATA (this could cause problems). In TB you can filter out the system stuff from the user stuff.

The most important thing to do is read about everything you plan on doing, get kind of comfortable, and then read more.

Thank you Zero Neck! That's what I was looking for. I have been reading and every time I open one door it seems five more open. I'm really into learning this I just want to have an idea first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
No problem at all. just remember to read up, and be sure to make a backup every time before you flash something in case there's an issue and you need to go back to whatever stable thing you were running before. I pretty much make a backup every day, and thankfully this phone came with the 32 gb card so we get plenty of space.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
So...first off, thanks to the OP, this is exactly what questions I had in mind.
I'm on the fence for rooting. Now that the leaked rom with radio, LTE hand off and battery saving is in the pipe (I know...not sure when) I may wait...not sure.
That being said...

I've been using the Amazon App Store. If I download it will I get my apps back?

Second, I save any app I can to my SD card...so how does that play out?

I may root this weekend, not sure.

My main reasons are to debloat the phone, turn down the CPU when not in use to save battery ( I run LTE almost all the time) and to tether wirelessly, which I'll use once in a great while, I have no need to pay 20 bucks for something I may use once in a while...

TIA

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So...first off, thanks to the OP, this is exactly what questions I had in mind.
I'm on the fence for rooting. Now that the leaked rom with radio, LTE hand off and battery saving is in the pipe (I know...not sure when) I may wait...not sure.
That being said...

I've been using the Amazon App Store. If I download it will I get my apps back?

Second, I save any app I can to my SD card...so how does that play out?

I may root this weekend, not sure.

My main reasons are to debloat the phone, turn down the CPU when not in use to save battery ( I run LTE almost all the time) and to tether wirelessly, which I'll use once in a great while, I have no need to pay 20 bucks for something I may use once in a while...

TIA

Yes, you will get your amazon apps back.

Apps to sd is cool, you can move them over there to save space on the phone, and they will for the most part work as usual, unless they are HUGE files then you might notice a little bit of lag but usually there isnt any.

Debloat is very simple. There are also lots of sense-based roms that will debloat you and streamline your sense experience (check out das bamf or perfect storm etc)

The new das bamf 1.5 also has the leaked ruu base for the fixes.

And you need setcpu to change the frequency for tweaking battery life/performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: dajogejr

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Zero.
Can you point me in the direction on how/where to find ROMs to download?
I'm sure I can google them, but I'd rather get a link/site a fellow AC member has used.

Thanks again...

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Having a Backup of your Original ROM is a must.
Twice, it gave me something to go back to when I didn't like the ROM I tried.

You HAVE to make backups or else if you encounter a problem you will have a heck of a time fixing it the hard way.

DJBeanPole

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Fellas I'm going to try and explain myself the best I can from off the top of my head. This is a collaboration of myself and Forgetful trying to help me figure out BAMF 1.4/1.5Remix, and flashing new kernels. These are MY steps.

Prior to doing anything, these are the apps I find the most important: ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, Super Manager.

Get whatever setup you have currently tidied up nice and neat. Typically after my initial root, I went through using Super Manager and got rid of the crap I didn't want on the phone anymore (stupid things like Flashlight, Footprints, Wallpapers, etc) and moved them all into a folder on my SDCard I named TBBLOAT.

Ok, so you like the way things look on your phone? Sweet. [Personal note: I didn't want to keep using VZW Manager to restore my contacts since you can't turn it off after using it without $%@ing things up. So open your contacts, aka 'People,' and tell it to export your list to the SD card. Boom headshot! Also, tell Titanium Manager to create a backup off all user apps (not data/user data/system data or whatever its called). It'll create this on the SD card as well. Money.

Go into ROM Manager and boot into recovery. Select Backup and Restore. Select Backup. Grab a beer and enjoy while the phone backs your stuff up. If anything messes up from here on out at least you have a starting point to restore to. If you haven't downloaded your new ROM/kernel, then go ahead and tell it to reboot. If you have... well just keep reading.

Ok so you've rebooted and things are still looking sweet right? Yea buddy! Let's say you want to download BAMF Remix 1.5, and install LeanKernel 1.1 Normal on top of that. Good plan my man since thats what I did. Download what you need from the appropriate links. Lets just say you saved these files to your desktop on your computer. For my example, you'll need to flash a new radio first to use BAMF 1.5Remix, which the dev has supplied.

So currently on your desktop is the following: The new radio, the BAMF1.5Remix.zip, and the LeanKernel1.1Normal.zip. Leave em ZIPPED. Don't unzip em.

Alright friendo, plug your phone up to your computer via USB. Tell it do mount as a disc drive. Take all three of said files above from your desktop and move em' to the SD Card. Don't put them in any fancy folders. Just throw them straight onto the card. Seriously. Don't put em in 'OMG AWESOME ROMS' folder or something. Keep it simple... sir.

Alright. Lets flash that new radio.

Power down your phone (hold the power button and tell it to turn off). Don't tell it to restart, actually turn that sucker off.

Hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER at the same time. You'll boot into recovery, at which point HBOOT will look for your radio file (named something silly like P50IMG0.zip or something... someone can help me out there). It'll say "do you wanna update?"

You say yes. Grab a beer. Drink it quick because it won't take too long for the radio to update. Once it is finished, go ahead and restart your phone.

Things should be gravy and you should be rebooted right back into your homescreen. NICE!

Now if you wanna be really anal, open up ROM Manager, boot into recovery, and create another backup so you have a restore point from this point on that includes the new radio. If you wanna.

Time to install BAMF 1.5 REMIXXXXXX!!!

Open ROM Manager, reboot into Recovery. Go into clear data/factory reset. Tell it to clear it. YES CLEAR IT. I know, it sounds scary, but DJ is holding your hand. Go for it! Once that is done, tell it to clear cache. Once that is done, go into advanced and tell it to clear Dalvik too. I know the screen selection... screen looks weird when you are doing this... kinda like this:
- No
- No
- No
- No
- Yes - Clear Cache (or data... or Dalvik)
- No
- No

That is normal and its supposed to look like that.

Ok, did you clear all that stuff? You did? *high five*. Tell it you want to install a zip from the sd card. Now tell it you want to select which zip. Find the one for BAMF and select it. Tell it YES to install. Grab a beer, and watch.

Once it has finished... you can reboot here if you want (if you aren't installing the kernel)... OR...

INSTALL THAT KERNEL!

Don't reboot after BAMF has installed. Tell it you want to install a zip from the SD Card again. Now this time select the LeanKernel file and tell it to YES, INSTALL! Now once that is done NOW its time to reboot :)
BE PATIENT HERE (perhaps a beer again?) It took my boot screen awhile before before it actually made it to the home screen (HTC on white background, then clouds... the clouds hung for awhile, and then it finally went in like normal). You'll have to go through the setup screens like you did when you first got your phone...

Once you've gotten in, download Titanium backup from the market, and tell it to restore your apps. Once your apps are installed, if you'd like you can open ROM Manager, go into recovery, and create a backup point here (I called mine BAMF1.5RemixLeanNorm1.1STOCK). Or you can go ahead and arrange your apps and widgets according to your tastes. Import your contacts back into People. Set everything up. Make it looks pretty and THEN create a backup rom (BAMF1.5RemixLeanNorm1.1FINAL).

Thats the laymans from the top of my head. Hope I didn't miss anything.

I installed BAMF 1.5 Remix, the new radio and the kernel last night while drunk. So you guys should have no problem haha.

DJBP

EDIT: Now according to this, you guys should have had around 3-4 beers while doing this. :thumbsup: :beer:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non