RCS messaging Pro LTE

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
With recent news of Google rolling out RCS messaging capability, will this work with the TicWatch Pro LTE?

Read somewhere that RCS will work even with WiFi. That being said, I can send a receive text messages with my original number on the smartwatch?

Those of you that have Verizon and use NumberShare know that the standalone option won't receive or send texts using the ORIGINAL number. It'll use a separate phone number.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. SMS/MMS only works over mobile data (for instance, if you receive a multimedia message, you need to be on mobile data to download it or having a phone that supports WiFi-Calling or a carrier-specific solution like Verizon's Messages+ app or T-Mobile's DIGITS app/site). Now, RCS allows the same message data to be received over WiFi (just like WiFi-Calling does), BUT to do this you still need the main SIM/Phone registered to the carrier's network. So unless your watch has a standalone SIM or is paired to your phone over WiFi (since it's Android Wear), the watch alone will not be able to send messages: it still needs the main SIM to be actively connected to the network.

YahyaRivero

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. SMS/MMS only works over mobile data (for instance, if you receive a multimedia message, you need to be on mobile data to download it or having a phone that supports WiFi-Calling or a carrier-specific solution like Verizon's Messages+ app or T-Mobile's DIGITS app/site). Now, RCS allows the same message data to be received over WiFi (just like WiFi-Calling does), BUT to do this you still need the main SIM/Phone registered to the carrier's network. So unless your watch has a standalone SIM or is paired to your phone over WiFi (since it's Android Wear), the watch alone will not be able to send messages: it still needs the main SIM to be actively connected to the network.

Yes my watch is a standalone watch. It's attached to my number through Verizon via a service called NumberShare.

Hopefully it does work.