Got the Merge!

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, with a stroke up luck and a little something else (can't disclose the info to protect the seller), I just got the HTC merge which will be arriving in the mail next week. (this is ofcourse the one that does not have the rumored 4G antenna). I'll post some pictures when I get it!

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately I can't tell you that because the one that I got is the verizon one which was the version that was reviewed by tech sites not the one that is supposedly coming to alltel. Sorry.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the released one (I still have hope until MWC) will look anything like this one. Until then, enjoy it! I see on the other forum you intend to use it on ATT. Any reason why you are waiting on the merge rather than picking up a Tmo G2?

yogi1574

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
ok got a question, been following all the merge rumors for ages now,(just joined this site now just bc of all the coverage) i am dying for this phone!!!
but a quick thought, if it comes out on Alltell shouldnt anyone with verizon be able to just buy it and use it with verizon?? they let you use sprint phones (cdma) so why cant someone who wants this just buy it when it comes out on alltell regardless of what verizon does??

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
@JonK
I didn't go for the G2 because I didn't like the optical pad and the Z hinge. After spending almost an hour with it, I hated the optical pad and the Z hinge keeps on falling on me.
You can say that it's a store model so it's been abused alot, but I also consider it as what it will be like 2 to 3 years from now so it's a good indication of its use in the future.
When I saw the merge, it looks beautiful, has a normal sliding keyboard like my Fuze, and it's pretty much the phone that i really really like. It just clicked. So hopefully, I will be able to use it on AT&T's 3G network or I might have to put the merge back on the market again. But I hope I dont have to because it's a beautiful phone that I really do not want to part with at any point or time.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! (you SOB ;)) Because we all wanted the phone. I would be curious if it would run on ATT and if it doesn't, whether I (why follows) could run it on Verizon.

I don't have any experience but I imagine moving from droid phone to droid phone wouldn't be difficult within the network. I am still using a 12 button ancient phone with no data plan. I wonder if I could just walk into a Verizon store and want an upgrade to a data plan. I'd probably have to mention I had a test phone that they aren't officially supporting. And that would be a little awkward.

Can't wait to see what you've got.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll be recieving it on the 3rd. I do have an internship on that day from 9:45am to 7:15 so i wont get my hands on it till friday. I'll see if i can drop by a verizon store to unlock the phone.. or maybe over the phone, but we'll see.....
that or try to sim unlock it.
If it works out I'll have a nice phone, but if it doesnt... as i have said, i'll be posting on both htcmerge.com and here to sell it because atleast I will know you truly want the phone and will make use of it.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
the number of test units out there is rather large but I would hope you would at least ensure none of the test information is on the device before posting pics.

I still have my unit so i know its not mine but whoever sold u that hopefully can ensure it remains active on the network..

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I still have my unit so i know its not mine but whoever sold u that hopefully can ensure it remains active on the network..

Forgive me because this might be common knowledge but.. how much of a guarantee is there that one could remain active on the network? I figure Verizon would just pull the plug to prevent people from getting the test phones.

If I were to hunt down and procure one of the many units in the wild, would there be any difficulties in moving from a 12 button? I'm curious because I wanted a merge and since Verizon seems to have canned it, I gotta figure out what to do. Perhaps MWC will give some insight in 4g vs old 3g vs updated 3g (ex: inc2).

Puttr, you seriously wanted to do other things on a Friday night than play with the phone? :D

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So here's a quick update:
I got the merge in the mail today and the first thing I did was to give Verizon a call. After about 10 minutes of arguing (NOTE: I called them saying that I bought the phone at full price and wanted to unlock it for use in a different country), they pretty much told me, we don't have access to the code and even if we do, we wouldn't give it away because you must use Verizon service even if you're using it in a different country. I then ask if I contact the manufacturer, will they be able to provide me the unlock code and their answer was that no because they wouldn't know it. So here I pointed out that it is impossible for both the carrier and the manufacturer to not have an unlock code. It's either they both have it or one of them has it. Now I realized that the cs guy is a dirtbag and will not help even if he can, so I hung up.
The next thing I did was to email HTC with the same story, I bought the phone full price from the carrier and that they refuse to give me the unlock code. Now I'll be waiting for a reply from them. Apart from that, I don't think I want to try to root it since this is the first android phone I've ever used so that stuff will have to come waaaaaay later if i can unlock it.
More updates to come as I find out more.

Update 1: HTC contacted me back saying that they do not have the unlock codes and that I would have to try Verizon again. I'm going to call verizon tommorrow and if it doesn't work, drop by the store and see if I can get it done there. If none of this works, I would prefer not to root it since there's a potential for the phone to not work at all on AT&T's network. I'm also thinking if I can get a friend of mine who has a verizon subscription and have them call to see if they can unlock the phone via my friend instead.
If all of this fails (since there are no online sites for unlock services that work on the merge that I know of) I'll be putting it back on the market this coming monday or so.

EDIT: this is just a copy/paste that i did for another site, but anyways, I wanted to spend alot of time witht he phone, but I ended up having to go to an internship on an urgent appeal, so i wasn't able to do much. So now my goal is to find a way to trick verizon to give me the unlock code or attempt to use Gfree (g2 unlocking software) to do a permaroot/SIM unlock/SuperCID all that once. but that i'll save for last if everything fails. otherwise I'll be putting it back on the market.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So here's a quick update:
I got the merge in the mail today and the first thing I did was to give Verizon a call. After about 10 minutes of arguing (NOTE: I called them saying that I bought the phone at full price and wanted to unlock it for use in a different country), they pretty much told me, we don't have access to the code and even if we do, we wouldn't give it away because you must use Verizon service even if you're using it in a different country. I then ask if I contact the manufacturer, will they be able to provide me the unlock code and their answer was that no because they wouldn't know it. So here I pointed out that it is impossible for both the carrier and the manufacturer to not have an unlock code. It's either they both have it or one of them has it. Now I realized that the cs guy is a dirtbag and will not help even if he can, so I hung up.
The next thing I did was to email HTC with the same story, I bought the phone full price from the carrier and that they refuse to give me the unlock code. Now I'll be waiting for a reply from them. Apart from that, I don't think I want to try to root it since this is the first android phone I've ever used so that stuff will have to come waaaaaay later if i can unlock it.
More updates to come as I find out more.

Update 1: HTC contacted me back saying that they do not have the unlock codes and that I would have to try Verizon again. I'm going to call verizon tommorrow and if it doesn't work, drop by the store and see if I can get it done there. If none of this works, I would prefer not to root it since there's a potential for the phone to not work at all on AT&T's network. I'm also thinking if I can get a friend of mine who has a verizon subscription and have them call to see if they can unlock the phone via my friend instead.
If all of this fails (since there are no online sites for unlock services that work on the merge that I know of) I'll be putting it back on the market this coming monday or so.

EDIT: this is just a copy/paste that i did for another site, but anyways, I wanted to spend alot of time witht he phone, but I ended up having to go to an internship on an urgent appeal, so i wasn't able to do much. So now my goal is to find a way to trick verizon to give me the unlock code or attempt to use Gfree (g2 unlocking software) to do a permaroot/SIM unlock/SuperCID all that once. but that i'll save for last if everything fails. otherwise I'll be putting it back on the market.
This is the trouble with owning a phone that doesnt yet exist :p. Rooting really isnt an option since no one has found a way to root it yet (since no one has it..). I don't know if Verizon would be able to look up an unlock code since the phone is not in their system. Are you sure that it is SIM locked? Perhaps it is already unlocked as it is a test unit. Try a SIM in it. And dont just try CS once. Try a bunch of times. You get someone different every time. I see cell carrier customer service like statistics. A sample of one gets you no where. They each tell you something different. You need to take a simple random sample to get any real info from them. :)

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I already tried putting the AT&T sim in it.. no dice..
i'm gonna try and ask if someone who has verizon can call and act as if it is their phone to get the unlock code... and see how that works.......

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
What if you tried having ATT call Verizon to ask about an unlock code? Perhaps there's some honor between providers considering you should be able to do this with any 4g phone.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, that would be a very very very odd way of getting it unlocked, since companies like verizon and at&t or microsoft and apple are like children on a playground, they fight and fight and act completely stupid. Chances are they wont help especially if they were asked by a competitor.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh I agree completely but you never know. Besides, it's not like there's any harm in throwing out ideas or trying some out. Seeing if ATT can help you out might have a minimal chance of success but there's also minimal consequence in terms of failure. Worst case, you just get a no and you're back where you were.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah. I'll try out that method today then since it's the easiest. the next one is probably ask a verizon friend to see if they can get me the unlock code :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87