Lag issues, all of the sudden...

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had this phone for two months now, I think... and it has been lightning fast, absolutely no issues.

Out of nowhere, my phone just became super laggy in the last week. Is anyone else noticing this? What options do I have to fix it?

I see another lag topic in the forum, but that guy is stating that his phone was always laggy... this seems to be a new issue for me.

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I too have found the same issue as of the last week. I'm unchecking sync under "accounts and sync"
as I have over 400 photos on the card.

I'll see if this is the lag issue on my Charge. I would think it is . . .

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, more info:

I've been using Go Launcher EX for quite a while now. Truth, it was quite a bit faster than TW for me. Nothing has changed with regards to the UI, but EVERYTHING is slow now. Going into any menu, app, contacts, dialer, etc is all slow. Even moving the puzzle piece over to unlock my phone is extremely laggy.

I don't think that I've downloaded any new apps which have caused it. I carry a pretty light app load, and looking at them, they've all been with me for a while now.

I have taken quite a few pics and video ... 133 total right now. The only accounts which sync are gmail and facebook. On that note, even opening gmail, it says "Loading Conversations" after a couple seconds of white screen.

Completely weird, I don't know what's going on, but it's really pissing me off.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't use text messaging or any messaging service... except for GTalk.

Also weird: My phone shut itself down the other night. Woke up and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I had to pull the battery and reinstall before the phone would fire up again. It was on the charger all night, and there were no power surges.

I don't know much (anything?) about virus' on smartphones, but I'm starting to suspect one may be the cause....

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't use text messaging or any messaging service... except for GTalk.

Also weird: My phone shut itself down the other night. Woke up and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I had to pull the battery and reinstall before the phone would fire up again. It was on the charger all night, and there were no power surges.

I don't know much (anything?) about virus' on smartphones, but I'm starting to suspect one may be the cause....

I haven't experienced any new lag, but my Charge shut itself down last night as well. I was just running the music player, and it was plugged in with the screen off. All of a sudden it shut down without playing the shutdown animation... Strange.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm in on this with you. My phone has been great up until a few days ago. Programs like to Force Close, web browsing got slower, and just about everything dealing with CPU speed has gotten crappy. My BIGGEST gripe is the new Google main page layout lags the hell out of my phone everytime I load it up. Drives me nuts.

Xaldian

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my Droid Charge Sunday at Costco, I was running Gummy Charged 1.8.5 for about a week then my phone just started lagging like crazy. I flashed to stock to see if the problem was my ROM, and even in stock my phone was laggy as sin. I picked up another Charge, rooted and tried gummy again and so far no problems.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I just exchanged my Droid Charge Sunday at Costco, I was running Gummy Charged 1.8.5 for about a week then my phone just started lagging like crazy. I flashed to stock to see if the problem was my ROM, and even in stock my phone was laggy as sin. I picked up another Charge, rooted and tried gummy again and so far no problems.

This is off topic... but how does the exchange work? I am still within my 90- day Costco window.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, more info:

I've been using Go Launcher EX for quite a while now. Truth, it was quite a bit faster than TW for me. Nothing has changed with regards to the UI, but EVERYTHING is slow now. Going into any menu, app, contacts, dialer, etc is all slow. Even moving the puzzle piece over to unlock my phone is extremely laggy.

I don't think that I've downloaded any new apps which have caused it. I carry a pretty light app load, and looking at them, they've all been with me for a while now.

I have taken quite a few pics and video ... 133 total right now. The only accounts which sync are gmail and facebook. On that note, even opening gmail, it says "Loading Conversations" after a couple seconds of white screen.

Completely weird, I don't know what's going on, but it's really pissing me off.

I had the same issue. Went from TW to Go Launcher and everything sped up. Then all of a sudden (no new apps) things slowed down and I got quite a bit of lag. I deleted Go Launcher and went back to TW and everything sped up again. It remains fast today....go figure.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had my phone for about 6 weeks and it just started getting laggy two days ago. I've been using LP since I got it. The only thing different is the G+ (which is not set to automatically sync pics) and I downloaded the "Float App" that (i think) was recommended by this site. Strange that so many of us are experiencing the same thing. I wonder if G+ has anything to do with it.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Up until about 15-mins ago, I didn't have a Google+ account, so I don't think that was my issue.

I just recieved an update for Go Launcher, and things seem buttery smooth this morning. I did restart the phone yesterday, so maybe that helped. All in all, it seems that things are back to normal for me, currently.

Xaldian

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
This is off topic... but how does the exchange work? I am still within my 90- day Costco window.

If you are on a custom ROM, be sure to flash to stock. Make sure to bring your receipt and all the stuff that came with the phone. Go up to the phone kiosk and explain your situation, they credit your account over at customer service and set you up with a new phone. Easiest exchange I have ever done, they don't try to recreate the problem or anything they pretty much take your word for it.

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. First I would suggest backing up everything and doing a full wipe, then checking to be sure the .android/secure folder on your sd card has been wiped. Especially if you've been flashing a lot of roms, things can really slow down if you haven't wiped in awhile. I would also suggest making a full backup of your sd card, reformatting it, then restoring your backup.

However, I too have noticed poorer cpu performance in the last few days, and I have no idea why. I've been on the 2.3.4 leak with Gummy for awhile now, since the first alpha I got in irc. I don't put much stock in benchmarks, but still my Quadrant was anywhere from the high 1100's to the high 1400's, mostly mid 1300's, with a high of 1481. This is of course on a stock GB kernel with RFS filesystem, so I was pretty impressed. Suddenly I can't get much over 1000, even after a full wipe and re-Odinflashing everything. Whether stock or after I restore my files. Phone does seem to be a bit slower with certain things, and other benchmarks suggest reduced cpu performance as well.

I don't know what's going on, or why I can't figure it out, but I don't like it. I really hope it isn't a hardware issue, as my Charge has worked very well since I got it. Not to mention the hassle involved to prove to VZW they should give me a new one, and hoping I don't get a refurb. I'll keep looking, hoping this is just some rogue app that will be updated in a few days and I'll be good again.

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, this is incredibly noobish... but I have no idea how to wipe my phone (factory reset, whatever you call it), etc. Is there a how-to on this?

FWIW, I am not nor have I rooted my phone, so no change there. I did restart the phone and took an update for my Go Launcher and things seem to be largely improved on my end. I'm interested in why so many of us are having this issue all of the sudden, though... I never expected that this was a wide-spread issue; but that's seemingly the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez