Htc fans unite!! (read my manifesto)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
and to answer the question two devices as of recently have been barred from a new os version. The Nexus S and the Motorola Xoom will be left on 4.1 because hardware limitations (presumably due in large part to ram) will not allow them to operate correctly on 4.2

Could you let me know where you read that or is that just an assumption?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"presumably due in large part to ram"

probably means it's a presumption...

I understand that. I was wondering if that was his presumption or if he read it from a tech news site.

If we're making assumptions, it's probably because of system partition size and not RAM.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Could you let me know where you read that or is that just an assumption?

Just an assumption geared more towards the nexus s not the Xoom. My Xoom has never ran into problems with one gig of ram and early dual core. However the nexus s only has 512mb of ram I believe and a single core engine under the hood. The Xoom is more likely the partition size, not ram. But who knows for sure

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe that as (almost) no one here actually, professionally, has any concrete, indisputable evidence of why things have happened or the best courses for the future, we are all speaking assumptions, and there is no point in arguing assumptions as the very nature of one is that it will be doubted and doubted in every way imaginable. A debate typically has solidified figures one can use or model their belief upon, but here every aspect of any evidence of any assumption is construed from another assumption.

Ex: The reason for amount of GS3 sales? --> specs or marketing? --> the average type of person who bought the phone? --> what that kind of person actually values in the phone? --> Would a different phone with same values been just as good? --> Why did they choose that phone? --> Why did others choose this completely different phone on a comparable level? --> How did they know about it? --> Who bought those? --> What did they value in it? --> Would a similar phone have been just as good?

It's just an endless circle of assumptions, and there's no reason for it when there is only butting heads until someone goes out into that untamed wilderness to get some data. So, instead, let's all go out for a cup of coffee and talk about snowflakes. :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
so you are saying that vzw designed the dna and then let au/kddi borrow the design? dont think so. this phone was an htc design for carriers to make modifications to. like i said, this was not a vzw design.

No. It was designed to Verizon's specifications and offered to the Japanese carriers after the fact.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Get a grip? Please read the entire thread, so you can leave a helpful comment.

The problem is Ry's comments are completely non-constructive. The point of this particular thread is to help HTC achieve the greatness that they almost have on their newest phones, but completely miss because of extremely key things left out. There is no need to hear excuses why they are making these mistakes, we can hear those from HTC.

Seems to me most people in this thread except for you are leaving helpful comments. You have been attacking anyone that posts things that you disagree with, and acting like a condescending twit throughout this thread. If you want a 'helpful conversation' then lead by example.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Is there any debate that the DNA is what Verizon (and Google) wants us to have, and the GS3 and Note 2 are phones that Samsung wants us to have?

If not, then what more needs to be said? I would be willing to bet that HTC would have made the DNA with more storage and a microSD slot and a removable battery if they could (i.e. if they had a carrier that would buy it).

So, unless you're going to tell HTC how to convince Verizon to buy a phone from them that Verizon doesn't want, this discussion is kind of pointless, right? As I said in a nearby thread:

Samsung is big enough to buck this pressure [from Google and the carriers, to make phones with little storage and no expandability] and make good phones with the features the consumers want and will use - despite Google and the carriers. This begets them more sales, making them even more successful, allowing them even more freedom to buck Google. Unfortunately, HTC does not have this luxury and, right now, the pressure from Google and the carriers is slowly driving HTC under.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there any debate that the DNA is what Verizon (and Google) wants us to have, and the GS3 and Note 2 are phones that Samsung wants us to have?

If not, then what more needs to be said? I would be willing to bet that HTC would have made the DNA with more storage and a microSD slot and a removable battery if they could (i.e. if they had a carrier that would buy it).

So, unless you're going to tell HTC how to convince Verizon to buy a phone from them that Verizon doesn't want, this discussion is kind of pointless, right? As I said in a nearby thread:

Samsung is big enough to buck this pressure [from Google and the carriers, to make phones with little storage and no expandability] and make good phones with the features the consumers want and will use - despite Google and the carriers. This begets them more sales, making them even more successful, allowing them even more freedom to buck Google. Unfortunately, HTC does not have this luxury and, right now, the pressure from Google and the carriers is slowly driving HTC under.

Consumers don't care about sd cards and removable batteries. The reason Samsung is doing well is marketing. End of story.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Consumers don't care about sd cards and removable batteries. The reason Samsung is doing well is marketing. End of story.

Oh, right. Back to that. So, you really think HTC could roll forward with the DNA and, if they had as good Marketing (or even 10 times better Marketing) as Samsung, they would do to Samsung what Samsung has been doing to HTC (and everybody else) for the last year?

Interesting...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

BTW, how many of the consumers who don't care about SD cards or removable batteries do you think would buy a Samsung instead of an iPhone? Personally, I don't know a single person who has switched from iPhone to a GS3 (though I'm sure there are some) and I also don't know anybody who was debating the 2 and got a GS3, for whom neither battery no storage was a factor at all.

In other words, I estimate that there is some pretty high percentage of 30 Million people (at least) out there who do care about SD cards or removable batteries (or both). They are the ones who bought a GS3.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, right. Back to that. So, you really think HTC could roll forward with the DNA and, if they had as good Marketing (or even 10 times better Marketing) as Samsung, they would do to Samsung what Samsung has been doing to HTC (and everybody else) for the last year?

Interesting...

Absolutely. Given Verizon's support of this device, I'd imagine the DNA could put a dent in the GS3's sales on Verizon.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
BTW, how many of the consumers who don't care about SD cards or removable batteries do you think would buy a Samsung instead of an iPhone? Personally, I don't know a single person who has switched from iPhone to a GS3 (though I'm sure there are some) and I also don't know anybody who was debating the 2 and got a GS3, for whom neither battery no storage was a factor at all.

In other words, I estimate that there is some pretty high percentage of 30 Million people (at least) out there who do care about SD cards or removable batteries (or both). They are the ones who bought a GS3.

Not at all. Normal people don't buy a cell phone because it has a removable battery or sd card. They buy it because its cool, or because they saw an ad for it, or that their friends have one.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
"Battery should be of sufficient size to give you battery life that lasts the entire day (obviously will differ depending on screen, cpu, etc.). These are the areas where the One X failed." how does the one x have fail battery life? i get 10+ hours a day. 10 on the low side. no wifi. the average person sleeps around 8 hours at least. and the rest of the time your probably at home fartin around, you cant charge your phone at that time?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Very good points all.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely is true. The iPhone is proof of it.

This doesn't mean they don't care about SD cards Apple gives you higher storage options at launch so if you need more the 16gbs you can pay for extra storage so that's not a good arguemant

Sent from my PC36100

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699