Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The phone is not overwhelmingly better in any one area than the Galaxy S3. The phone is prettier, that's for sure. The phone is faster, but not hugely so. The screen is better - it's bigger (slightly) and brighter, despite Gizmodo whining about it. Color rendition is somewhat better. I can't see a difference in image sharpness, even in text. The control are for me easier to find by touch despite, again, Gizmodo whining about that too. Sound as a speaker phone is far far FAR better than any android phone I've ever used. It's even better than my Blackberrys, and that's saying something. I never thought I'd find a phone as good on speaker as the old Storm. But I did. I even like HTCs Sense skin, but I dumped it for Holo launcher for the higher matrix density. But I love the lock screen. So everything just adds up to a more satisfying package than the vaunted S3. It's just as close to perfect as I've seen. I also swapped in Chomp SMS, which is as close to the Blackberry SMS system as you can get, plus Aqua Mail, which handles multiple email accounts as gracefully as BB did, if not better. So yeah, I'm a happy camper :)

I don't like that USB cover though. Know what? I wish they had the lightening connector like the iPhone5. That's an elegant little connector.

Last edited:

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Wireless charging and you'll rarely need to take the cover off, note you can use OTG on here also, this allows you to connect other things like mouse, keyboard to the phone as well as flash drives (you'll need a special cable but they are like $2).. Enjoy your DNA

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The phone is not overwhelmingly better in any one area than the Galaxy S3. The phone is prettier, that's for sure. The phone is faster, but not hugely so. The screen is better - it's bigger (slightly) and brighter, despite Gizmodo whining about it. Color rendition is somewhat better. I can't see a difference in image sharpness, even in text. The control are for me easier to find by touch despite, again, Gizmodo whining about that too. Sound as a speaker phone is far far FAR better than any android phone I've ever used. It's even better than my Blackberrys, and that's saying something. I never thought I'd find a phone as good on speaker as the old Storm. But I did. I even like HTCs Sense skin, but I dumped it for Holo launcher for the higher matrix density. But I love the lock screen. So everything just adds up to a more satisfying package than the vaunted S3. It's just as close to perfect as I've seen. I also swapped in Chomp SMS, which is as close to the Blackberry SMS system as you can get, plus Aqua Mail, which handles multiple email accounts as gracefully as BB did, if not better. So yeah, I'm a happy camper :)

I don't like that USB cover though. Know what? I wish they had the lightening connector like the iPhone5. That's an elegant little connector.

After reading this I now really want this phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Yes you do. :)

I thought I read somewhere that you are an engineer and loved your maxx hd; I too am an engineer and was going to get a maxx hd but now I see this. I know there's always something better coming along, but obviously you like your dna better than your maxx hd? (Or do I have you confused with someone else?)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that you are an engineer and loved your maxx hd; I too am an engineer and was going to get a maxx hd but now I see this. I know there's always something better coming along, but obviously you like your dna better than your maxx hd? (Or do I have you confused with someone else?)

That's me. John Carroll, class of '77. Vacuum tubes are awesome.

The MaxxHD is a great phone, make no mistake. But it's sort of dated in comparison to the DNA. I do wish it had that battery, and an option for a micro SD, but the 16gig seems like enough. I don't rip CDs or movies. The biggest app I have on board to Tomtom, which eats a couple of gig. After Tomtom and all the rest I still have 8gig remaining. Honestly, the most time I spend on the DNA is with Kindle - right now I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces and Hell in a Very Small Place. I long ago got used to always having about 93 chargers around, including a couple in my car.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
So prices being equal right now you would go with the dna? (well thats a stupid question I guess because you already did). And no regrets? Do you get thru a day pretty easily or do you use those 93 chargers to top off throughout the day?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If the prices were equal (and they seem to be) I'd go with the DNA. Unless the replaceable battery or ability to use SD cards is important. And yes, I can get through the day. I could with the S3 as well, but I'd be down to a pretty low charge, say 25-35%. I realize some people don't consider this to be dangerously low, but I'm not happy once I'm below, say, 50%. And yes I realize there is some unreasonableness there, so ignore my opinions about battery and just consider the fact that I can get through the day :)

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have had the S3 for about 3 months. I had to buy a new one off contract (paid full price) about 2 weeks ago. I am going to return it today and get the DNA. I do like the S3 but want something different, so I hope it's as good as everyone says.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If the prices were equal (and they seem to be) I'd go with the DNA. Unless the replaceable battery or ability to use SD cards is important. And yes, I can get through the day. I could with the S3 as well, but I'd be down to a pretty low charge, say 25-35%. I realize some people don't consider this to be dangerously low, but I'm not happy once I'm below, say, 50%. And yes I realize there is some unreasonableness there, so ignore my opinions about battery and just consider the fact that I can get through the day :)

maybe its something about having an engineer's view of things because I'm that way about batteries too, that's why I was concerned about the dna, sure people say they get through the day but I don't want to just squeek by through the day I want to end it strong ;) ya, wierd I know, never heard anyone else express that sentiment.

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If u guys are worried about the battery and want a beastly phone why not get a note 2??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I want one of those too. But the screen just isn't going to be a DNA screen. The problem is there are too many really awesome phones out there, the Note 2 being one of them. Let me see, I want;

MaxxHD
S3
Note 2
DNA
Z10
iPhone5 (well, kinda)
Nokia Lumia 920

There are only so many phones I can get :)

maryjane2300

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I want one of those too. But the screen just isn't going to be a DNA screen. The problem is there are too many really awesome phones out there, the Note 2 being one of them. Let me see, I want;

MaxxHD
S3
Note 2
DNA
Z10
iPhone5 (well, kinda)
Nokia Lumia 920

There are only so many phones I can get :)

Lol u sound like me :thumbup:

Sent from my Sammy S3

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the DNA a couple days ago. I had the MAXX HD before. I'm really feeling the battery life. I can't get through a complete day. The screen is much better. I've never liked AMOLED, I much prefer the clarity of LCD. I do notice some very faint diagonal lines on the DNA screen in light colors, primarily white. I think this is due to the pixel spacing. I can see it when I watch YouTube content with the screen ~8" from my face laying in bed.

I switched because my MAXX HD is becoming unusably laggy. I'm going to see if I can fix it, because I really need better battery life than the DNA can provide. I've also had my eyes open for a Note 2, the pixel arrangement seems to be better than on the S3/RAZR HD, but I can still see pixels, it just doesn't appear to be as 'pixelated' as the S3/RAZR HD..

48278GALAXY%20NOTE%202%20VS%20Galaxy%20S3%20screen%20difference.jpg

dnavsnote2display.jpg

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Gizmodo didn't like an Android phone... and in other news, water continues to be wet :p Cheers, mate... glad you're liking your DNA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa