Google maps 7.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google maps.

Remove update...go to applications in settings. Find maps and delete updates. Go to the app store settings and remove auto updates.
I also hate the update.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

Finally got the update last night and loaded it up I think it looks really good. It's a polished and simple look like the iOS version but even better of course. Loads faster. very nice update.

from my DNA

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I downloaded v.7.0.2 a couple of days ago and used it today on the road. I didn't like it too much maybe I'll get used to it not sure. So far I don't like what it seems to me that the (+ / -) zoom screen buttons are gone and also as I was traveling North my blue dot locator was pointing East for some reason. Not sure what's that all about.

My DNA sent this...

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I downloaded v.7.0.2 a couple of days ago and used it today on the road. I didn't like it too much maybe I'll get used to it not sure. So far I don't like what it seems to me that the (+ / -) zoom screen buttons are gone and also as I was traveling North my blue dot locator was pointing East for some reason. Not sure what's that all about.

My DNA sent this...

Yup I will miss the + - buttons. Annnnnd my location is way off.!?!

from my DNA

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've never been so relieved to roll an update back to original as I was to get rid of Maps 7. Truly awful update that eliminated useful features, messed others up...truly awful.

Posted via Android Central App

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've never been so relieved to roll an update back to original as I was to get rid of Maps 7. Truly awful update that eliminated useful features, messed others up...truly awful.

While I'm having trouble adjusting to the new Maps, I don't find anything truly awful except that I can't do things by memory anymore. What things do you find so bad?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
While I'm having trouble adjusting to the new Maps, I don't find anything truly awful except that I can't do things by memory anymore. What things do you find so bad?

I agree I think it's a very polished and simple UI. But I miss the +- on screen zoom in/out buttons.

from my DNA

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

My Play Store comment, with added notes: Very frustrated by this update. Took away features I use almost daily: +/-zoom buttons (why? Pinch to zoom is unacceptably imprecise when trying to keep one location centered on the screen and the map orientation constant); single-screen alternate routes (what could possibly be more effective than time and distance for all alternate routes on one screen for comparison?); and now FORCES you to search for contact addresses inside the Maps app instead of tapping on the address inside your contact (they actually DISABLED this functionality...why? It's common for me to use Google Gesture Search to open a contact to call someone, then I would tap their address to navigate to them). I get massive in-your-face neighborhood names (can't remember the last time I needed to know the name of a neighborhood/development) but teeny, tiny little street names. Labs is gone, I used the measure function quite a bit. I used Google Nav all the time, and Maps once in a while, now I have to open Maps to get to the Nav function, which strikes me as inefficient for the way I use it. My Maps is also missing, I have several custom routes I built on my desktop then imported into Nav....no longer accessible. The nice bold navigation line was easily visible when my phone is docked, the new interface is harder for me to read. I found using the new app immensely frustrating, and very little of that frustration came from learning curve. The first Google app I've ever rolled back to the factory version that came with my phone, and I'm quite relieved.

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully they return some of the features that you are missing. It is nice that they give us the ability to roll back to previous versions.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Pinch to zoom is not the only zoning option. You can double tap as well which not only zooms you but serves to keep your location of interest centered (I just tested this out).

As for the other issues, Mountain View has been on an updates tear. Google is also pretty responsive to user feedback. I would not assume Maps, as it stands, to be the final version by any means.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Without the +/- it is not possible to use it single handed something I need multiple times a day. It also needs a lot more taps to get the information you need.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Without the +/- it is not possible to use it single handed something I need multiple times a day. It also needs a lot more taps to get the information you need.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Exactly. I use zoom in and out all the time. some people forget you can zoom out.

:thumbup:
from my DNA

dcyamaha

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a GNEX and I HATE THE NEW NAV.

screen won't stay on unless an address is inputted. Also, "fly behind" doesn't stay there. USELESS as an app to watch "traffic". rolling back or going with WAZE

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they took away the share my current location feature too, unless I'm totally missing it.

from my DNA