Droid DNA: What will it take for you to upgrade?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: What will it take for you to upgrade ?

The DNA was/is my first Android phone. I upgraded from an iPhone 4 on AT&T. My upgrade won't be due until November 2014 although I don't know if I will make it that long. The DNA has been fine, although I wish HTC was a little more up to date with it, my problem is Verizon. I will probably move to a Nexus phone on T-Mobile before the end of the year.

Ignoring issues with Verizon, I don't see myself ever buying a non-Nexus Android phone again. Sense isn't bad but it seems like the only company you can trust for timely updates is Google.

-kpluck

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I want the stock Android experience and latest version.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I actually looked into T-Mobile with their new offer, and was tempted by the N5. We have four phones on our plan with Verizon and the monthly bill is awful. I'd save a bundle with T-Mobile, but the coverage is too sparse in my area. I'd only get 2G in the town that I live in and the surrounding area.

Ultimately, I'm staying with Verizon and my DNA.

I'm in the same situation. T-mobile just isn't an option due to their spotty coverage in my area. Meanwhile I pay a small fortune for Verizon, but at least I can count on having data and service wherever I go. So I'll be staying with Big Red until things change.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I actually just switched to T-Mobile two days ago and had my contract bought out. It just makes a lot of financial sense. Before, we were paying $180 for one smartphone and two dumbphones. Now, we have three smart phones for $100 per month. $80 per month is almost $1000 per year... I've been very pleasantly surprised with the coverage, definitely not so bad as expected.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm in the same situation. T-mobile just isn't an option due to their spotty coverage in my area. Meanwhile I pay a small fortune for Verizon, but at least I can count on having data and service wherever I go. So I'll be staying with Big Red until things change.

This is the issue for me, No one other than Verizon gives me service at home, the rest are no service or 1 bar thats spotty at best. Also I love my DNA and frankly theres not another phone out that I would want enough to warrant a switch. I cant go down in screen size with the ONE when the actual specs arent much of an upgrade. I already have a Nexus 7 so I prefer having a non Nexus device along side of it. Having the same vanilla android on both phone and tablet doesnt appeal to me. I like having some difference between the 2. Sense fills that hole perfectly, especially Sense 5.

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

After being a thrilled T-Bolt user for 2 yrs I loved getting a DNA for free back in May.
I can't see upgrading for a loooong time.
Android rox
:cool:

liquid29

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat with a lot of people, there is no big reason for me to upgrade anytime soon. 4.2.2 has been a big refresh as far as my phone experience, and overall the DNA has been a solid device for me. I actually had the chance to move to a One, did for about a week, and found that the DNA just worked better for me. The One is a fantastic phone, no doubt, but for me the DNA is still doing everything I need.

fatproduce

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

I have absolutely adored my DNA since I got it back almost a year ago. I love the display and camera. Though I have an upgrade and decided to get the bamboo Moto X. I guess it takes wood for me to upgrade... That's what she said... lol

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Phone has been great, but... I've run out of storage space on my DNA. Next phone will be the Samsung S5 as long as there is external sd cards.

Sent from my DNA

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

5" is about my limit on phone screen size.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I've had the opposite experience compared to most people: I loved the DNA until the most recent update and have found it much less useful since then. For example this morning at the end of a call the updated UI refused to let me hang up! Also the stock keyboard was fine before but is useless now. For a year or so the DNA was big and the screen good enough that I avoided getting a tablet. But then my vision got worse (just turned 50) so I broke down and got a Nexus 7 which I now use instead of the DNA for mobile surfing, watching movies on planes, etc. So, I think I am going to trade it in for a more compact phone some time in the next few months. Especially if the compact Experia Z1 comes to Verizon. ... Unless the next update in a month or so fixes the things I don't like about the last update.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Well Samsungs S5 is official. Nothing I will give up my DNA for.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

There just isnt anything Samsung can really do at this point to get me to buy one of their phones. They just seem so boring. I will say the new Xperia is pretty nice looking, but software is the iffy part. For now I wait for official M8 release. That will likely be my next phone since I just enjoy HTC phones more than any others.

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
same with me, i love the DNA although i think my battery is going out already since when it gets low, it goes 20>15>5>off with little warning. I have the extended warranty and since the battery is internal i can probably score a replacement, but mine just works otherwise.

im running out of storage so that would be the only other reason i swap it out. I never thought it would run out of space but apps just keep getting bigger it seems.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It really has become more of an issue of how long, with normal wear and tear, you can keep your phone along with being an ***** for not taking a subsidized phone if you are with Verizon and not still on unlimited data. I don't have an unlimited plan and assuming I stay with Verizon, will definitely get a new phone in September because I'm paying for it anyway.

That said, the smartphone has almost certainly peaked as far as innovation. No doubt the DNA is an awesome phone but the fact that 18 months later no one has really done much speaks volumes about how the tech has run its course. Very few people want to carry tablets in their pockets so you can't go bigger. The resolution is already stupid for something 5", and most of the "features" that distinguish one brand from another end up being mostly gimmicks after the novelty wears off.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I absolutely agree. I followed the coverage and have read various hands-on reports, but I'm just not that impressed. Although, part of why I'm not might have to do with what stkorn said:

There just isnt anything Samsung can really do at this point to get me to buy one of their phones.

and the rest of it comes down to what chickweedblur said:

That said, the smartphone has almost certainly peaked as far as innovation. No doubt the DNA is an awesome phone but the fact that 18 months later no one has really done much speaks volumes about how the tech has run its course. Very few people want to carry tablets in their pockets so you can't go bigger. The resolution is already stupid for something 5", and most of the "features" that distinguish one brand from another end up being mostly gimmicks after the novelty wears off.

Well said. Eventually I'll replace my DNA, but there's still nothing out yet that makes it worth it.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'll upgrade when this phone eventually bites the dust. I'm currently running Sense 5.5 with Kit Kat 4.4.2.

Posted with my HTC Droid DNA using the NuSenseONE MAX ROM 5.5/4.4.2 via Android Central App

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am rather interested in the new One. The increase in screen size, the front facing speakers, the expandable storage are all nice. The big thing for me will be the camera. I'm very interested in the dual camera and what it will mean for picture quality.

bpricems

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It will take a lot for me to update. I just switched from a Droid 3 in Jan and was blown away. The DNA is as good as my wife's LG G2 which she stole my upgrade to get. Solid overall phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87