What phone next?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My contract is up and I need to select a new phone. I want to stay with Verizon because I am happy with the service and fast reliable data. I looked at the Droid 6, but it looks too big. I want something closer to the DNA in size. I thought about the Droid X, but people are saying the camera is not great and battery life is short. The M8 seems a little old at this point, and I want wireless charging. Samsung devices seem, well Samsungish with garish colors and a thick UI layer on top of android.

Any suggestions?

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My contract is up and I need to select a new phone. I want to stay with Verizon because I am happy with the service and fast reliable data. I looked at the Droid 6, but it looks too big. I want something closer to the DNA in size. I thought about the Droid X, but people are saying the camera is not great and battery life is short. The M8 seems a little old at this point, and I want wireless charging. Samsung devices seem, well Samsungish with garish colors and a thick UI layer on top of android.

Any suggestions?

Let me try...assuming by Droid 6 you meant the Nexus 6, it IS a big phone. And assuming by the Droid X you meant the Moto X, it is a very fine phone, one of the best available but yes, it's been said to have a substandard camera and average at best battery life. Other than the Moto X, the Droid Turbo is the closest you are going to get to the DNA...only a tiny bit larger (about 0.1" wider and taller) and a bit heavier. It's probably the closest thing there is to a spiritual successor to the DNA; it carries the Droid name and a similar industrial design, it is one of the first phones with a Quad HD (1440p) screen, similar to how the DNA was the first phone sold in the US with a 1080p screen, and it has wireless charging like the DNA. I loved my DNA but it was hampered by only 16GB of on-board memory with no SD card slot (I've still never forgiven Verizon for deliberately emasculating the Butterfly when they turned it into the DNA) whereas the Turbo starts at 32GB and goes up to 64. It's camera is supposed to be a bit better than that of the Moto X also. You'll miss Sense but people seem to be in love with Moto's touchless controls. In addition, with a monster 3,900mah battery it will never be accused of short battery life!

Posted via the Android Central App

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Turbo since yesterday. My wife has the DNA and is looking to upgrade. She had 2 viable choices in my opinion. I love the looks and feel of the LG G3. It has 32GB a a slim profile. Also a nicer camera than the Turbo. The Turbo had a couple draw backs, the first being the big chin and capacitive buttons making the size longer. If I hadn't been waiting on the Turbo I would have gotten the LG G3 since it was at $99 on Amazon and LG was giving away an extra battery and separate charger for it for free. You just had to send a copy of your receipt and the codes on the phone to prove you own it..
I had a Samsung SG3 with a 3500 mAh extended battery from Seidio. In one day of mostly being on WiFi and just checking email my Turbo is at 35% in 14 hours. My Samsung would be dead.
Again this is a personal choice but the LG G3 had a ton going for it. If I change my mind it silk be because I was able to get info from Seidio that they will be making a G3 extended battery with case and all.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the Turbo since yesterday. My wife has the DNA and is looking to upgrade. She had 2 viable choices in my opinion. I love the looks and feel of the LG G3. It has 32GB a a slim profile. Also a nicer camera than the Turbo. The Turbo had a couple draw backs, the first being the big chin and capacitive buttons making the size longer. If I hadn't been waiting on the Turbo I would have gotten the LG G3 since it was at $99 on Amazon and LG was giving away an extra battery and separate charger for it for free. You just had to send a copy of your receipt and the codes on the phone to prove you own it..
I had a Samsung SG3 with a 3500 mAh extended battery from Seidio. In one day of mostly being on WiFi and just checking email my Turbo is at 35% in 14 hours. My Samsung would be dead.
Again this is a personal choice but the LG G3 had a ton going for it. If I change my mind it silk be because I was able to get info from Seidio that they will be making a G3 extended battery with case and all.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Granted it's a5.5" screen vs.the Turbo's 5.2" but the G3 is actually taller than the Turbo.

Posted via the HTC One

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
After a week and a half with my "free" G3 I'm sold. It's like my DNA when new +50%, fast, nice camera, great battery.
I ordered a G pad 8.3 refurb for $50 to replace my N7 that died after "upgrading" to Lollipop 5.0.2
It'll be fun to have a big cheap tablet on 4G.
:cool:

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My son just upgraded his Razor M to HTC M8 on VZW for "free".
I can't wait to check it out. Hope I'm not envious
I'm liking LG's Qshare between the G3 and G pad

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to go with the LG G4 which is coming soon. I considered the Droid Turbo also, but in the end I wanted the removable battery and SD card. Before the DNA I had these features in the Droid X. As great as the DNA has been, those are 2 things I will no longer compromise on.