1-second delay in your calls when you have bad reception?

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
When you're in a bad coverage area on your Incredible 2, do you get about a 1-second delay in your calls, causing your conversations to be all disjointed and awkward?

I have an Incredible 2. I live in a geographically odd fringe area where all the carriers have poor coverage. It's so bad (almost always zero bars) that I had to get a Verizon network extender, which runs the the call through my high speed Comcast cable internet instead of over the airwaves.

When I make or receive a cell call from home, there is about a 1 second delay. So when I start talking, you don't hear me until a second later and vice versa. This doesn't sound like a lot but it totally ruins the conversation. Lots of accidental interruptions and stepping on toes. I have to either fix it or else get a home phone and downgrade my cell service.

I thought the problem was the network extender. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon, who ran me through tests. They said my internet was the problem, not consistently reliable enough for VOIP of any kind. So I went to Comcast, who replaced some wires and stuff and said everything was ship shape. But still the delay persisted. So I went back to Verizon, tried all kinds of stuff. The guy boosted the signal in the network extender higher than he had ever done before. He had me adjust my router settings. He had me pull my router out of the loop. And he ran me though internet quality tests again. Some of these results were good and some were not good enough (reliability of service). So he sent me back to Comcast. So I have to talk to them again tomorrow. Jesus! You know what they're going to say.

But that same Verizon tech called me today when I was away from home. I was in a place with zero bars, but the phone rang and we talked. We tested it and the delay was still there, even though there was no network extender involved. So then I went into town where there is great signal and called a friend and tested it and there was almost no delay.

So it seems that when I'm in a place with terrible reception, this delay gets introduced. Even when I'm at home with an apparently good network extender taking the load instead of the airwaves, over an internet connection that is apparently good and high speed at least a lot of the time, my Incredible 2 calls have a delay in them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else heard of this problem? It would be one thing if it happened all the time on all calls under any circumstances - in that case I'd say it had to be the phone. And it would be one thing if it only happened on the network extender. But it happens in other places where there is crap coverage and no network extender. And when I'm in a good coverage area it's like any other phone.

Is there something wrong with this phone in general? Or just my particular unit? Or is this common? Or is it something with Verizon service? Something else? How's your phone doing?

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I don't recall ever experiencing this issue. Around my house i'm usually at -98dBm but the call quality is usually ok.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue here and the signal strength is the cause I hope HTC comes out with a fix soon!

So wait, you know for a fact the signal strength is the cause? Or like me, do you just surmise that signal strength has something to do with it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo