Disabling GPS is it really necessary?

rhippler

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I have seen allot of posts stating that you should disable the GPS to save battery. I may be mistaken but if no apps are actively requesting positional data is it not off? I have mine set to on and it does not even register on the battery usage screen.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
GPS, if turned on with a signal acquired will constantly update it's position so when an application request the information from the GPS sensor it has accurate data without needing to wait for the acquisition and calculation.

So yes you will see a battery difference with it turned off. How much it effects the battery I'm not sure, I always leave my GPS stuff on. Not sure if I will with this phone or not.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
If you are not using it you should just turn it off. It wont affect you as much as you think but if it is constantly updating and you have an app that uses it it will.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
with my few days of use, i've not noticed any real big difference with it on or off.

the battery is crap irregardless. :(

i used to leave it on with my droid all the time and it wasn't a big deal, but if i'm using google maps or something which is constantly updating my position, then i plug it in.

pmasinvest

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It does not activate unless an app requests it..such as maps, traffic cam etc. There is no reason to turn it off. It does not periodically activate to update your location. The cell network does that by tower location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non