Earpiece Sound Quality/Distortion

hcole623

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Since their is no dedicated thread for this problem yet although I've seen several members complain about it on other threads, including myself, I thought I'd open a thread for discussion.

PROBLEM:
The problem myself and others are experiencing is during a voice call the speaker (earpiece) buzzes/rattles/distorts creating an irritating call experience. Others have described a "tinny" or "metallic" sound, which I believe that they're describing the same issue.
By the way it sounds, to me, I think its a similar sound to a blown speaker, in a car for example, but obviously not as severe or noticeable. I've noticed it only does it at certain pitches of voice, and not for everyone who calls me. This would make it really difficult to replicate for a VZW store associate if I wanted to claim a defective unit (they already hate me after having 6 or 7 storm 1's).

CAUSE:
Some have speculated this rattle is coming from the cameras autofocus mechanism being "loose" when not engaged?
Or some other loose part which buzzes at certain pitches of voice.

SOLUTION:
Sometimes I've noticed holding the phone at a different orientation can temporarily fix the issue.
Please post all thoughts, solutions you have found.

saulleibow

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Speaker Distortion

Since their is no dedicated thread for this problem yet although I've seen several members complain about it on other threads, including myself, I thought I'd open a thread for discussion.

PROBLEM:
The problem myself and others are experiencing is during a voice call the speaker (earpiece) buzzes/rattles/distorts creating an irritating call experience. Others have described a "tinny" or "metallic" sound, which I believe that they're describing the same issue.
By the way it sounds, to me, I think its a similar sound to a blown speaker, in a car for example, but obviously not as severe or noticeable. I've noticed it only does it at certain pitches of voice, and not for everyone who calls me. This would make it really difficult to replicate for a VZW store associate if I wanted to claim a defective unit (they already hate me after having 6 or 7 storm 1's).

CAUSE:
Some have speculated this rattle is coming from the cameras autofocus mechanism being "loose" when not engaged?
Or some other loose part which buzzes at certain pitches of voice.

SOLUTION:
Sometimes I've noticed holding the phone at a different orientation can temporarily fix the issue.
Please post all thoughts, solutions you have found.

I have experienced the same problem ever since my latest upgrade on my EVO. It occurs whenever the volume control above 50%. It is clearly distorted and from past experience I would guess we have a crack in the speaker. Now the trick would getting the carriers to acknowledge the problem

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am have same issues with several bluetooth headsets. I don't think it's hardware but some sort of software issues