overheating

ltrclwn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
this is a new experience for me.....

got phone by pre order on 4-29, did the usually thing i always do, set phone up on whatever charge is in the battery then put on charger when drained, did a full charge the first night ....

4-30 being new to android os and just playing with phone had to charge using my car charger, while charging the battery overheated and phone turned off...brought to verizon told them what happened, and they replaced battery....

did the same process..all has been well until yesterday, just sitting the battery got overheated again (not on the charger either, just sitting in the holster) noticed it felt extremely hot when i took phone out to use.....this time just held phone in front of ac vent to cool off while i was driving....all seemed well, got home and charged for the night....

today phone was fine, never got hot....went to charge battery and with in id say 10/15 min phone overheated again.....

i am using the supplied home charger.....if that means anything....

any suggestions as to why this keeps happening???? i am not thrilled i have to make another trip to verizon as i think maybe it is a software problem/ or hardware issue and not the battery.....

nothing i can tell is running out of the ordinary in the background, but being a complete newbie to this os, not sure all that should be running all the time or something that is running causing this to happen....when i look @ running processes(or programs) they are all the same from day one nor have i installed anything onto the phone except htc battery widget

matt

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about overheating but I can tell you that my DI gets very hot after little use. I just assume that its the powerful hardware that runs this beast. I never had the phone shut off because of it though. Id get the phone replaced if that were the case.

Bundy#AC

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not normal. Getting warm when using it is normal, but getting hot to the point that the phone has to shut itself down is bad. You never know what kind of damage to not only the battery, but the phone has already been done, so I'd ask for a replacement.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
it really does seem that there were a bad batch of phones.

mine has overheated twice, one enough to cause the notification error (alternating green and amber lights) and once it got close (over 125F) so i took off the back panel.

both times i wasn't doing anything on the phone, it was just sitting there in a 75F car.

take it back and ask for a new phone.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Now you guys have me worried. Mine gets pretty warm, and pretty quickly. It hasn't shut off and it doesn't burn me or anything, but still, I suppose I have a reason for concern now.

HDBiker#AC

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine overheated twice today while on the battery charger. I wasn't sure about what the flashing was. It wouldn't charge when it was flashing either. I ordered an extended life battery. If that doesn't fix it I'll get a replacement phone.

VZWBB

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Odd, I have mine in the red verizon hard shell case and I've not noticed any overheating. My phone got warm once, but i had it sitting next to my laptops vent where it blows hot air out of the laptop...oops lol.

I think if your not doing anything crazy with it, and it overheats to point of an error, then that phone could very well be bad. :(

ltrclwn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok that's what I thought but just wanted to I guess confirm my suspicions.

Warm w use I am used to but the overheating nope.

Looks like a trip to Verizon I go.
Than you for the input

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not normal. Getting warm when using it is normal, but getting hot to the point that the phone has to shut itself down is bad. You never know what kind of damage to not only the battery, but the phone has already been done, so I'd ask for a replacement.

I agree. Take it to a store or call CS.

bobstudent3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine definitely gets warm, especially if I'm working on the phone and charging it at the same time. I'm not sure the thick silicone case from Verizon helps. Maybe they should make a nice heat sink case with some thermal compound for the battery!

Strygun

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today that my phone overheated while I was driving. It was sitting in my lap and receiving direct sunlight from the overhead sunroof. I checked the battery status using the HTC battery widget and it was 49C and said "overheating." I cooled it off in the AC and took it out of the sun, but I realized that this would be a significant issue if I ever get a car dock and put it in my windshild to use for GPS navigation, etc. Any solutions?

TheFLCracker

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine usually gets warm while charging, other than that I haven't noticed anything odd. Btw I have the hard case from Verizon.

Same here, but my brother in law has a DI and he says he was out on the boat fishing with it in his pocket and pulled it out and it had shut off. He said the phone felt warm.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow that sounds really weird. I've got a Jeep wrangler and went out for a ride the other day with the top down, phone on the dash and it never reset due to overheating. Sounds like you may have a defective phone or battery and may want to take it back to the store for a replacement.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
different battery apps can show you the temp.

i use one called battery status pro.

for those who's phone overheated while in the car, did you have the verizon car charger? mine overheats only in the car when i'm using it.

i've had it for a while, but being that it's verizon brand and not generic, i'm thinking of taking it back and complaining.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called system that tells you a lot of thing along with the battery info, like memory/cpu usage, network usage, apps running, apps sleeping etc etc etc.

If you have the app click on the meters at the top of the app on the top left, then scroll to the bottom, there is your battery temp. Mine is currently at 30.1 Celsius under light usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty